Author Topic: Hitchhiking thread...anyone done it?  (Read 832 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Hitchhiking thread...anyone done it?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 04:00:45 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
More interesting question would be...did he take his hat off? :)
LOL

something tells me Leslie didn't get the joke....

Leslie, i was not poking fun at you at all, i was meerly pointing out the similarity to the movie smokey and the bandit, with the black trans am ;)
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Hitchhiking thread...anyone done it?
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 04:47:37 PM »
Used to get and give rides as a kid on the west coast. Was normal to hitch up to Topanga Canyon and from there hitch up to the beach. When I had a car, I'd pick folks up on the same circuit.

Then one day I gave a guy a lift after I got outta the service. Wound up with a badly cut arm and a dented door. No more riders after that.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 09:43:06 PM »
Hitched rides all over the eastern side of Australia, and a bit up in the Northern territory.
The thing that amazed me was how many young women were willing to give a ride to someone who looks like me.
I'm a big ugly bastard... 6'4", 125kg, bearded, had a mean looking Blue Heeler with me that had both his ears chewed off in fights, was usually wearing dirty jeans, boots, hat and a flanalette shirt, and was carrying a swag and a rifle in a carry bag( had a permit, bag had conspicuos padlock, bolt and ammo were seperate...used to be perfectly legal, but it was blatantly obvious that I was carrying a high powered weapon)
Truck drivers would drive right past, young blokes in four wheel drives would go straight past....it allways seemed to be young women.
They were perfectly safe, I might look like a criminal, but im actually a nice bloke :)....but they didnt know that.
I allways quized them about it, basically saying "I dunno that I would stop and give a bloke who looks like me a ride, especially not if I were a pretty young woman like you"
The reasons they gave were many and widely varied, but a lot of the time it was because they were alone and bored, just wanted someone to talk to while we drive the next two or three hundred kms to the next town.
More than a few of them simply liked my dog.

Good fun, if you've never tried it, you've missed out on some interesting times, and some very interesting people.
I wouldn't reccomend it unless you are confident in your ability to handle just about any foreseeable situation though, without a doubt, there are some weirdoes out there.

I pick up hitchers too, most of them are cool, many will give you a few bucks for petrol, or a joint or sixpack of beer or something....all of them have interesting stories to tell.
The freaks are easy to detect within minutes of them getting in your car, in that case I just out-freak them, tell them about my axe fetish and show them the moari fighting axe I keep under my seat(a gift from a gratefull moari guy called Sam I gave a ride to)....they usually want to get out pretty soon afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 09:52:12 PM by Bluedog »

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 09:45:59 PM »
guess is they liked the "bad boy" LOL... there's a whole seinfeld episode about that LMAO
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 03:38:14 AM »
I generally give them a ride. The last time I hitched it was pain in the bellybutton to get a ride. Most people just give wierd looks and laughs. I gave a finger to one of those and he slammed the brakes. I eventually talked him to give me a ride.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 07:16:23 AM »
Some interesting stories. Boroda's adventures are worthy of a book. I'm not surprised Bluedog gets lifts from women despite looking dangerous. In my experience some women like to dabble with rough looking men. Not that anything is supposed to happen just some vicarious fun. Women are complex creatures as we all know.

One Christmas eve, my brother met some of his mates for a drink on the other side of town. He got a little drunk, couldn't find a taxi so he started walking. Eventually he got tired and sat against a tree near the road.  
A car stopped with two women in it. They asked was he OK. He told them a BS story about arriving back from England that night to spend Christmas with the family. Amazingly they drove him all the way across the city. I for one would thnk twice about giving a drunk stranger a lift.  He even got their address as he sent them a bottle of wine to thank them.    A bit of Christmas spirt I suppose

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 09:15:13 AM »
When I was a freshman in university I lived in residence. The residence had an orientation week. One time in the middle of the night they woke up all the freshmen and brought us outside making sure we had no wallets or money on us.

They taped a cloth over our eyes and put us in cars and then drove without talking. The car drove about 2 hours on a highway before making a few turns and then the ride started getting bumpier and bumpier. Finally they took two of us out of the car and told us not to remove our blindfolds for 10 minutes. When I heard the car start up I took mine off and found out I was in some kind of field and saw the car bumping away on the other side. I watched what way it turned then started walking that way with the other guy they had dropped off. He was a Korean student who barely spoke english.

After walking to the farm lane that we were on (5 minutes) I turned the way the car had turned and started walking. I had no idea where we were or even what direction I was walking.

Almost right away a car came by. I stuck out my thumb and he stopped. It was a cab. The driver was a nice guy who told us where we were and then took us to the nearest main road about 10 minutes away even though we could not pay him anything.

I could not believe that we had found a cab in the middle of nowhere.

On the main road I stuck out my thumb and another guy picked us up right away. He was drunk and said the wanted someone to talk to so he wouldn't fall asleep. He drove us right down into Toronto which was a good 45 minutes south of where we were. I lived in Toronto so he dropped me at my house and I got my motorcycle out and gave the Korean guy a helmut and off we went.

The university was about a hour and a bit away but on the bike I could go door to door in about 35 minutes. We pulled into the residence parking lot just as the guys who dropped us off were getting back.

It was pretty funny to see thier faces. I never told them how we got back so fast or how we got the motorcycle.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 11:30:14 AM »
I rarely set out to hitch hike, but my POS cars often set it up for me when I was younger.

my brother had a fairly ingenious idea when he did a cross-country trip.  he took a new 5-gal gas can and sawed the bottom off off it, and attached latches to hold it shut.

he used this for a suit-case while hitching.  a guy packing a gas can down the highway has a much better chance of getting someone to stop than a guy with a back-pack.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 11:42:05 AM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
he used this for a suit-case while hitching.  a guy packing a gas can down the highway has a much better chance of getting someone to stop than a guy with a back-pack.

LOL!!! :D

Hehe, here when a group of hikers (people who travel on foot with backpacks) want to hitch-hike it looks like this: backpacks are hidden in a bush near the road, with all the people except for 1-2 most attractive girls (sometimes wearing swim-suit tops in summer) who "vote" for a ride at the road, usually first or second truck stops, and after girls negotiate with a driver - a horde of bearded people with huge backpacks wearing dirty torn clothes attack the truck from all directions and in a matter of seconds occupy lorry body, girls go back with them while two really big guys sit with the driver :)