Author Topic: Confessions of a WW2OL cynic  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Confessions of a WW2OL cynic
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2001, 09:03:00 AM »
SW if you haven't noticed this UBB has lots of locked posts too.
If you wanna rate community by those be my guest and do so. I have best of those saved in my HD so if you want I can put them up right here...

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
Well, thanks to those that supplied the keystroke to get my fps on the FE GUI, I'm back to report that I was getting anywhere from 12-32 fps last night playing as a German infantryman, at 1280x1024x32. Surprisingly, those fps were very playable, and I actually had fun, too. I really have no interest in the air war over there with the current progress of the game, so I'm happy being a ground pounder. Got my first kill last night, too. Some poor Tommy was trying to sneak up on our base, but I saw him before he could get into cover. I raised my Mauser, aimed, squeezed. He rolled over and lay still. May he rest in peace.

I was playing on server 6 last night, and while it had fewer people on than the others, there were no profanity or tantrums for once, and the folks were cooperating to some extent. The sector I was in seemed to have about 20 people near me, both for and against, so it was like a small skirmish between two squads. I can really see where being in a squad is going to be a blast, as you can do mixed unit attacks and defense.

Can't wait for the rats to keep fixing this.

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: banana ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
Uhm, not because it's locked Staga... did you even bother READING what it was about?

"People" defending other "people" because these so-called "people" want to keep the ability to name their in-game personas as "JewKilla" or "NeoNazi", crap like that.

Sorry, the worst that AH could be, it's never been that bad.
-SW

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm still wondering how Staga can compare the topics that have gotten locked here because they got personal with the obscene abominations like that topic on the WW2O boards?  And that's not the only topic like that on the WW2O boards.

If the insinuation is that the AH boards are on the same level as the WW2O boards why do so many folks discuss WW2O here and try to coordinate with other gamers via posts in non WW2O boards? Especially those who have quit AH and WB's.  Why are they not on the WW2O forumns rubbing elbows with thier fellow WW2O players on the CRS boards?

I dare say the WW2O boards could use some of that energy and enthusiasm to combat the reports of hacks, cheats and a mountain of other game/social interaction issues.

Westy

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
I believe 9 out of 10 of those who use names like NeoNazi are just trolling and are laughing their arses off right now. That last one is propably a 12 years old kid who was beaten by his parents and found pals from "Bad Company inc." or from local KKK's kids club.
Those topics are so full of crap I wonder how you guys even use time to read them? When I saw that topic I skipped it 'cause I already knew what it contains:
90% bs and 10% foolish people.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
Toad,

Look at the System Memory prices here:  www.pricewatch.com

That is where I located that price.

I had to call the shop in Texas and mention the pricewatch price in order to get it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
Well I for one said I wouldn't try it till after the summer but Kieren had it and said it was worth a look so I bought it.

First off I have

PIII 733
256 pc800 rdram
NVIDIA Geforce 2 64m

I have been reading the boards and just knew I was going to hate it.

Well to my suprise I like it. :eek: I am actually getting 25-95 fps. Yes I said 95 fps. Most times it's in the mid 30s but when no one is around and I'm a soldier I have gotten 95fps.

I have always enjoyed tanks so having so many tank battles is really great.

There are some bugs that need to be worked out but for now it is playable AND is a lot of fun.

It's not a flight sim nor will it ever be on the level of AH but for what it is it's going to be great.   :D
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
I disagree Staga on them being trolls. Some are going along with it to get attention, some because they are misguided and there are a lot that really think that sh&t is cool and they actually believe alot of the baloney spouted.
 I think WW2O wil get a respite from some of it when they go pay-to-play. But after that, trolls or not, that kind of behavior and posting will be even more detrimental to WW2O as it wil lhave a more negative financial impact. It would for any online game.

Westy

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2001, 12:54:00 PM »
banana I'm not Yoda.  My character has more hair.   :)

Offline Yoda

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2001, 01:17:00 PM »
Yoda he is not!  Silly you are feeling, hmm?  Adventure!  Heh!  Excitement!  Heh!  WWIIOL!  Heh!  Wars not make one great.
Jedi Master

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
Good post with nice attitude Westy. Keep it that way   :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
Called Paradise, bought 2 x 256MB PC133 Micron gold plated 168 pin low density sticks for $87 total, delivered.

Seems reasonable. 1-940-683-4450 mention Pricewatch.

Thx, Karnak.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »
I stopped reading the general WWIIOL board a long time ago.  Just was a plain unsettling experience.  I was kinda nervous about the game itself, but pleasantly surprised to see that the radio buffer is nothing like that at all.  There isn't much cooperation as of yet, but it's improved somewhat.  I haven't had a tank not stop for me when I asked for a ride.  They'll even wait for a few minutes for you to catch up on foot.  I think the strategy will get better as people understand the game more.  I'm sure there will always be Quakers running around, but some units will form and stand out eventually.  Other than the FM in the air and the small town sizes, flying is pretty fun.  If they fix the E-rentention issues, dogfighting would be feel a lot better.  As it is, sometimes I'll just follow the bandit in a 5G turn for what seems like minutes before he does something different.  Some hit flashes or something would be nice as an indicator as to whether you're hitting (they have them in tanks.  I can tell when my AP rounds hit enemy tanks).  Well, the planes do smoke when they're damaged.  Last night was the first time I've actually seen a plane I hit go all the way down to the ground and explode.  Every other kill was either a pilot dying from a wound, or them disco'ing (intentionally or not.)  I've died just once (at night, I never saw him coming.  Just was flying around and all of a sudden, red screen!!) and been wounded another time; that one really cheesed me off.  The plane started acting funny, but I didn't think I was damaged, because I wasn't hearing ping sounds.  Then screen goes red for a moment, I see I'm wounded, so I bug out.  I decide to just land anywhere, so I lower flaps and gear...  NO SOUNDS!!!  Turns out I had a bandit on me, but external sounds weren't working (my engine and gun sounds were fine, but flaps, gear, being hit, other planes were out), so I couldn't hear I was being hit.  He musta been my true lo 6, because I was checking my 5 and 7 views quite often.  Had I heard the initial ping, I woulda known he was back there.  I had to exit the game to get external sounds back.  Point of all of this is, you guys know I'm not that good in AH, but I'm surviving every sortie but those 2 (I've flown over 10 now...)  For the most part, the enemies remind me of a quote for Star Trek II.  "He is a genius, but his tactics show 2 dimensional thinking..."  They flat turn 95% of the time and just go round and round.  The immersion is still fun though!  I'm enjoying that aspect of flying in WWIIOL more than the MA, but the AH weekend events are still what I look forward to every week!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
Staga - I still can't see how you can compare the AH boards with those on WW2OL.

If someone played the game with the handle 'jewkilla' in AH, do you think a post complaining of that fact would get flamed in a thread 150 posts long?

You're living in cloud-cuckoo-land, if you do.

I might also add that these boards are an oasis of calm compared to its WW2OL contemporary. Personally, there are only so many times I can read the word 'fanboy', 'whiner', f***, S*** etc etc etc. It's tiring to the point of terminal boredom.

I ask myself whether or not I want to be in an arena filled by the kind of people we see on the boards. Arm-chair generals, with chips on their shoulders as big as their over-bearing egos telling people how they should play the game. At least that kind of person is in the minority over here.

My copy of the game is on its way, by the way. I just hope I can find some normal, balanced, everyday and above all decent lads to play the game alongside. Kind of like my MA squad here.

My two pennies worth, of course.

PS. that usenet post Westy posted is just plain scary. What is wrong with these people? I just hope they AREN'T kids - because they must be pretty screwed up if they are.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2001, 02:17:00 PM »
Dowding, I think you'll find that the radio buffer does not resemble the playnet forums at all.  At least that's been my experience.   :)  Hope you enjoy your game time!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.