Author Topic: Disabling skin downloads  (Read 739 times)

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ted Strykker

Or you could all get DSL,i didn't see any DSL customers in this thread complaining?Hmmmmmmm

Just a thought!:aok

IF you think DSL and cable are availiable everywhere , you are mistaken .  Typical responce from someone fortunate enuff to have broadband , they think nothing of it.     38

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 06:34:06 PM »
ack-ack  -    aaahhhhh  see said the blind man.  So I'm a little thick sometimes :)     I'm guessing that disable the other planes skins dont stop that either.  ya it would be nice to have what you say,  its distracting also seeing the orange text pop up!   I always think its a monitor saying somethig to me for some reason,  makes me look down at the most unoppertune times too.

Lets leave it alone, leave it the way it is.  Then I have my excuse for dieing so much, "its not my flying , its the distraction! I tell you!  text is killing me  lol  j/k  ...........  j/k about leaving it the way it is, my lousy flying is no kidding.  :p

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 09:02:12 PM »
Originally posted by Ted Strykker
SuperDud is right,As soon as i see Skuzzy 's Light Blue type i land and log out ,log into the TA and for some reasons the skins download in under 5 minutes.

Or you could all get DSL,i didn't see any DSL customers in this thread complaining?Hmmmmmmm

Just a thought!:aok

DSL has nothing to do with it.  This problem effects those on broadband and on dial up.  Even on a T3 connection, the game still sputters when skins download.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 09:14:47 PM »
IMO the idea of sending game ehancements during game play is just wrong - a design flaw. Its the wrong way to handle it - a hot wired way of handling something that should be well thought out (IMO). Maybe skins will be important in TOD, but I don't use skins and have them disabled. Why is the game sending them to me?
Dont take offense - I think some anti-virus programs handle updates poorly. The anti-virus program is almost as bad as a virus. The problem is no one worries about interface or transparency anymore.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 09:20:13 PM by BTW »

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 09:49:51 PM »
There isn't much transparancy and I see lots of what I'd term "mini-warps" or "freezes" when I get near a "new" skin? Is that the correct way to putting it? I roll in on the guy and it's like my FE doesn't have the skin and freezes my game play for a second while it "gets" the skin. I had my skins turned off for a while and now have to suffer the online downloads.

While a fix for this minor annoyance sure doesn't have to be at the top of the list it might be nice to know it's somewhere on the list. Thanks

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 01:43:07 AM »
On the clip board, click on the Video option.  In the video setup screen, check Pre-load Textures.  This will preload all the available textures as the game starts and will stop the stutters you're getting.

ack-ack

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 01:46:11 AM »
Ack-Ack
i'll take all the help i can get to get away from that 38.  if they would d/l a little faster maybe i could get on your 6 once in a while.
JT

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 07:22:03 AM »
Better yet, give us the option of which skins to download!

Frankly I don't need 8 skins for every plane in the set cluttering up the works.

Some like the P38 have 10 or 12 skins.

Give us a window that pops up, that puts us in control of the process.

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 03:48:09 PM »
ack-ack,  I've done both, pre-load textures and not preload textures,  seems that I still get the shutters when a skin is down loaded during game play,  I even tried pre load skins and not preload textures, <-- this seems to help somewhat on My pc,  but the interference from the download of new skin still makes a twitch.  I 'll have to do a preloaded textures and preloaded skins, see what that does.  eh?    

Question:

when your in the game,  Where Do the new skins go to that are down loaded during game play if you have the -Preloaded skins checked?  Do they go into the preloaded file somehow? and get preloaded, ( but that would not be preloaded)( thats more of a postloaded, ), ...... or do they go else where and are not preloaded until you reboot to the game?    And where do they go if you dont have preload skins checked?  eh?    ya know what im saying?  

I may be able to clairfy my question, if it isnt clear now.

I do confuse myself at times so, doing it to others seems easy,..  :p

Thanks

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Disabling skin downloads
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 04:14:53 PM »
The Pre-load textures option in the video setup only loads the textures you already have and will prevent the stutters you get when those textures are loaded in game.  It will not stop the little lag and warps you get when you download new skins.  

If you look in your AHII directory, you'll see a folder named "Skins".  This where the downloaded skins go to.  When you pre-load the textures, the texture files are cached into the Cache folder in the AHII directory.

ack-ack