Author Topic: Slice Shape clarificatoin  (Read 340 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Slice Shape clarificatoin
« on: July 15, 2005, 08:40:52 AM »
Are there any abnormalities cause by not slicing a large shape? Especially if it is built into a terrain tile.

Basically, I've got a bunch of highly optimized tree objects 660x660 footprint, and laid that out over Terr0105. Stuck in the TE - the tile had a corrupted look to it - Looked like some of the trees were gone and those seemed to be in realtion to the slice lines.

So I rebuild and slice shape, then make the terr0105 file using the 2 diagonal slices think tri0 and tri1. That seemed to work, but ONLY if in the TE I had manually set the Subtile all to 1. if there was a subtile type 1 grouped with any other subtype other than 1, there were no objects displayed on the lone subtype 1 tile.

Any overall suggestion how this slice tool is supposed to work?
And should there be no objects over the white slice lines?

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 09:04:50 AM »
Could be that one of the other ter tiles doesn't have at least one object in each of the eight sections. Objects across the lines only make them appear choped off from certain angles.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 06:34:24 PM »
Ok well here's whats going on now.

I'll lay it out the best way I can. Keep in mind I'm building trees.

1. created 4 styles of trees and converted those in the object editor.
2. created an "tree group" and converted it in object editor.

3. In the object editor, I placed the tree group object and groups of the 4 styles of trees and made a new object - will call that "final tree" for now

4. opened a new object, set properties to is terrain tile, and display terrain under object....blanketed the complete 5280x5280 square with "final tree" shape.

5. Built the object as "ter0305" (3rd sub-type of forest tile)

6. Placed the ter0305.SHP file into the TEXSRC folder and opened Terrain editor. Here again, only some of the "final tree" shapes are displayed.

7. Went to Object editor, open up the ter0305 file, saved it as ter0205. Built it as ter0205. Placed ter0205 into the TEXSRC folder, opened Terrain editor...

Crash.

Any ideas on that one?

Should I  just build that that 5280x5280 blanket of tree objects as a shape, then slice that? then place the slices on the "terXXXX" files? Also, If doing that - the sliced shapes are diagonals, and should I place all 4 slices onto one "terXXX" or just 2 slices?

I love playing "model, model-maker, or software?" :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 06:38:02 PM by Waffle »