Author Topic: P-38 instrument panel  (Read 238 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 instrument panel
« on: July 20, 2005, 05:40:16 PM »
Why was it changed?  It was hard enough to read already and now it's almost downright impossible unless you're zoomed all the way in or playing in resolutions like 1600x1200.  

Oh well, not like it's gonna stop my from flying it but the new dials suck from the point they aren't easy to read.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
P-38 instrument panel
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 07:34:47 PM »
all i ask is they dont get any bigger, most of the newer planes instruments look great and are pretty accurate, its just a matter of guage graphic design, not size, the old ones were waaaay to big! fealt like i was flying a tonka toy.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
P-38 instrument panel
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 07:37:24 PM »
wwiiol is a great example of bad graphic design on the guage end, Targetware has the best i have seen, and some how they are pretty dang accurate.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
P-38 instrument panel
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 07:45:42 PM »
IMO, thats a design decision. Is instrument representation something you want to raise the hardware criteria over (e.g., you now need a 27" monitor to play). How many pilots got in a plane and said "ooh look at the lovely guages!"

Gauges are a horse. They do a job and should not be harder to use than it was for pilots in WW2. They shouldn't be much of a deal. No you shouldn't be able to see them when checking 6 (as in AW), but they shouldn't consume a whole lot of work either. They're nuance, not an intrical part (IMO).

And I don't fly a 38, but I checked - you're right, it is horrible on a 17" monitor 800x 600 res.

Again - getting bogged down is nuances like instrumentation graphics for the sake of playability, is - hhmmm "not good"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 07:53:10 PM by BTW »