Author Topic: Week of July 22 - Fightertown II  (Read 727 times)

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Week of July 22 - Fightertown II
« on: July 22, 2005, 12:05:56 PM »
When I get home tonight:

Fightertown - Attempt No. 2

Let's try it again!

Instead of three plane sets, there are two:  early-
war, and mid- to late-war.  As we move through
the week, we might shift some from one to the
other.  I'm a bit concerned about including the
P-38G and 109F in the early war set; I'm trying
to balance Axis v. Allies.  We'll see.

Tunisia map is getting repetitious, but it has
two sets of bases ideally located (Rhine bases
were too far apart, FinRus has a bug).  We'll
save the new Italy map for a standard CT
setup.

Planes are disabled at all but four fields.  Bishop
(Allied) early are at A2, Knight (Axis) early are at
A24.  Bishop (Allied) mid- to late-war are at A17,
Knight counterpart at A16.  I have not included any
altitude restriction, because some people like to
fight at altitude with late-war planes.

At Sabre's suggestion, vehicles are enabled at two bases:
V51 for Bishops (Allies) and V37 for Knights (Axis).  I
wanted to find a place far away from the airfields,
just in case some luminary decided to go shoot up
a base with tanks.  So:  if you're an armored
fighter, this is a fightertown for you, too.

No jets.

Low-alt ack is at MA setting (1.0) to reduce vulching.
Puffy ack is at .25, so as to be inoffensive.  Manned
ack is available, and I'll add ack trucks of some sort
if vulching becomes a problem.  Hangers and such will
regenerate in very short times (seconds) so that no
one porks them.

Killshooter is on.  Friendly collisions are off.  Vis
is at 12.5, which is the max.  Fuel burn is 1.5.

Here are the sets:

Bishop (Allied) early war (A2):
 F4F
 Hurri I
 P38G
 P40B
 P40E
 Spit I

Knight (Axis) early war (A24):
 A6M2
 109E
 109F
 110C

Bishop (Allied) mid- to late-war (A17):
 F4U (all)
 F6F
 FM2
 Hurri II (both)
 La5
 La7
 Mossie
 P38J
 P38L
 P47 (all)
 P51 (both)
 Spit (all except I)
 Temp
 Typhoon
 Yak (both)

Knight (Axis) mid- to late-war (A16):
 A6M5
 109G10
 109G2
 109G6
 110G
 FW190 (all)
 Ki61
 Ki84
 Nik
 Ta152

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 12:10:59 PM »
I know how to make buildings regenerate quickly, but how do you make them otherwise impervious to ordnance?

Also....I say with some embarrassment....I still can't figure out what I do to change troop capture requirements.  Not that that matters in this setup, but it will in the future.

Thanks!

- oldman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 02:09:39 PM »
Oldman, I'd say that the 38G is a LATE war plane. It might just dominate all the early war stuff. The 109F might shift towards the dominating end of the spectrum too.

However, I'd be very interested to see what pilots have to say about the balance, after they've flown it for a while.

Okay, you can change the downtime but there's also a setting for hardness. Go to Arena Setup > Objects > and for the object, say pick fighter hangar, there is a hardness number. I don't know if it means pounds, or what not. But whatever the default is, if you double it, the hardness will be doubled. If you triple it, the hardness will be trippled. It's a linear relationship. Just be sure to SAVE the settings or they will not take effect (for me, that is).

Find the "Maproom" entry. Note that it has a hardness of 0.0015. That's the setting for 10 troops (default). If you double it, to 0.0030, you need 20 troops. It's got the same linear relationship.

I personally hate this system. It's some internal number/variable, that doesn't equate to the setting you want (not user friendly). But that's how you do it.

So if you want invulnerable hangars and un-capturable fields, set the hardness of the hangars and the map room to 100 or something absurd.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 02:38:41 PM »
P-38G has no place in the early section.  It sticks out like a sore thumb.  Hurricane IIc should be added to the early section to counter the Bf109F-4.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 04:01:33 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
So if you want invulnerable hangars and un-capturable fields, set the hardness of the hangars and the map room to 100 or something absurd.

Thanks, Krusty.

- oldman

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Week of July 22 - Fightertown II
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 06:08:52 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
When I get home tonight:

OK, it's up.

- oldman

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
CHANGES
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 10:15:27 PM »
I just eliminated the Axis v. Allied distinction for early-war planes only. All early-war planes are enabled at both fields. Axis v. Allies still exists for the other plane set.

Puffy ack has been cut way back (to .10).

- oldman

storch

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 06:57:13 AM »
great idea on the ack reduction OM.  I can't comment much on the early thing because I eschew those vile and useless planes.  every time I've been on the southern bases have been unused.

S!! to Yourself and Constel on some good fights last night, all the more admirable because you both remained in non woobie planes for most fights. that was some some fair Hog flying.  I always tell players "don't under estimate the OM and you certainly proved what a mistake it is to do so last night.

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 03:20:33 PM »
Originally posted by storch
S!! to Yourself and Constel on some good fights last night

They were good fights all the way around.  I should practice with your 205, but I always end up misjudging the pullout and making a smoking hole in the desert/jungle/ocean.

- oldman

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 03:39:36 PM »
I checked in a few times this weekend but, as mentioned, the early war section was deserted.

As for late war...... we'll the MA's full of that. Don't need a special place to find those.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

storch

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
I checked in a few times this weekend but, as mentioned, the early war section was deserted.

As for late war...... we'll the MA's full of that. Don't need a special place to find those.

post a time when you'll be on and I'll fight you in the vile and useless ones.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 12:36:43 PM »

Agreed. That and the CV puffy ack at the northern bases kept setting my plane on fire on the previous setup on the same terrain. And then the pac setup before that the allies would fly zekes, not just you storch so relax.

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 08:16:29 PM »

The notion of the Figthertown setups has been to have close bases and to eliminate win-the-war porking contests, so that pilots are free to have access to nearby dogfights.  Over the past few years various posters on these boards have asked for such a setup somewhere on one of the MA maps.  At the suggestion of Eagler and others, Slash tried it in the CT a few months ago and, of course, this week we're trying it again.  The division of the plane sets has been simply to allow the early-war planes a place to fight more-or-less on their own terms.

The response, as you note, has been less than enthusiastic, particularly in the early-war area of the map.  During the times I've been on (and I've tried to get on every night since Friday), I've recognized most of the players as the usual CT suspects; very few MA folks have stopped in to stay.  The first time we thought it might have been because the Fightertown setup wasn't advertised enough in advance; this time, though, it was, and even fewer people were interested.

I guess you can reach different conclusions from this, but I do wonder what happened to all the people who wanted a fightertown.  Certainly I'm not inclined to run it again.

- oldman

storch

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 08:43:11 PM »
OM I have had a blast with this set up and last night (tuesday) we were in the early war set, it was fun as well especially since you were able to select what you wanted to fly.

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 06:51:38 AM »
Originally posted by storch
OM I have had a blast with this set up and last night (tuesday) we were in the early war set, it was fun as well especially since you were able to select what you wanted to fly.

Glad to hear it, Storch.  Thanks to the Checkertails and JG54 for pulling people into the arena last night.

- oldman