Author Topic: what do you cook?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 11:58:01 PM »
Mustaine mentioned hamberger helper....I have something to add to this.

As a single guy I lived off of this stuff for a while.  The bad part about it is it is bland as is BUT it is easy to spice up.

My favorite is the "philly chease steak".  It is in no means close to a real philly BUT it is tasty if you add the following.

Mushrooms:  In a can they are cheap cook them in with the hamburger

Bell pepers:  again cheap just get one and slice it up

Onion:  see the above two

cook all of them with the hamburger...add some peper as well.

when you are all done add some more dried onion toppings (they sell them in a box)

It is really tatey and feeds an average appitite male with left overs for lunch.

Can even make a samwich out of it by putting it in a hogie.

another one I like is jumbalia (SP) in a box.

the box cost $.79 cook as per instructions and add precooked smoked/spice sausage.

pretty good as well

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 11:59:54 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
I make barn burner chillies
- SEAGOON

I make some killer chilli as well, didn't think of it in the summer. I like to make jalpeno or habanero cornbread (with onions) to go with it. Sometimes I make beer rolls if the mood strikes me. My chilli has no beans, but has 3-4 different meats (deer, beef, pork, wild pork) depending on what I have in the freezer. My Mom used to grow a lot of my peppers, but this last year as Dad got worse before he died in January she didn't have the time she wanted in the garden. She grew some KILLER peppers, stuff that had to soak in salt peter to germinate!
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
what do you cook?
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 11:59:55 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
[

For MP-something: "Pelmeni" is a word that is translated from Russian to English as "pelmeni". Or maybe "pelmen's". It's a traditional Russian (mostly Siberian/Uralian) dish, made of grinded meat (pork and beef mixed) wrapped in dough, the size of a... hmmm... how to explain it... just a size that fits into your mouth or less. It's boiled and served with sour-cream. In Russia it's sold frozen, you only have to throw it into boiling water and in 10 minutes you have a hot tasty meal.

Sounds sort of like a Ravioli (now watch me get it for an italian word lol) and there really good .   or sort of like a pot sticker these are good dipped in teriaki sauce
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2005, 12:05:08 AM »
Cut a round steak in strips. Spice it up and put it in tinfoil and then put it on a grill until cooked to you desired temp. Then put sliced carrots green peppers potatoes onions and a tiny bit of red pepper in a another wrap of tinfoil with butter. Throw it on grill also.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2005, 12:05:37 AM »
Good jumbalaya is another great meal. I sometimes use a box of Zataran's as a starter, but I like a LOT less green or bell pepper in my food. None at all is better. I get shrimp, smoked sausage, and crawfish tailmeat if I'm going to make some. The rest is rice and creole/cajun spices.

Speaking of rice dishes, I've been messing around with the Lipton rice packs, especially the "Smoked Chipotle" and the "Risotto". They make a good spicy rice base for a quick meal.

As a side dish for a grilled meal, I'll take some potatoes, an onion, and some mushrooms, chop it all up, throw in the spices of choice, some butter, and a little Lee & Perrins, wrap it in foil, and put it on the grill before I start the main course cooking. Around here it's called a "Hobo pack".
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 12:08:11 AM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2005, 12:05:48 AM »
Originally posted by storch
#16'd for

I'll remember it. Well said, many thanks! ;)

On-topic: is there anything special in Cuban meat dishes? i mean - using special spices or something?

Interesting, if I'll say something like "No pasaran!" - will this post be #16'd? I really like making experiments on people ;)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2005, 12:31:22 AM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
Sounds sort of like a Ravioli (now watch me get it for an italian word lol) and there really good .   or sort of like a pot sticker these are good dipped in teriaki sauce

Sorry, I wanted to use that Italian word too, to explain, but was too afraid ;)

That Italian dish you mentioned is usually smaller and has a different shape, at least it's what I learned when we got it in cans as "humanitarian aid" back in 1991. What is bigger then "pelmeni" are (drumroll! I use some Georgian and Osetin words!) manty and hinkali. Usually I need 15-25 "pelmeni" to eat for dinner, but no more then 5-7 manty or hinkali.

Some more "fast male food": I have another Azerbaijanian store on the way from a subway station to my home, and they sell frozen "cheburek"s. Cheburek is a meat pie that is supposed to be fried in vegetable oil.  You take it out of a freezer, throw it onto a hot frying pan - and in 5-10 minutes you have an attractive meal at your disposal. If you don't mind mutton fat - it's delicious.

Emergency meal: get a boullion (flo? fla? fluever? sorry) cube, add boiling water, and add a 50g pack of potato chips. Stir but don't shake :D Enjoy. A nutricious, tasty and quite cheap way to support your metabolism.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2005, 12:34:39 AM »
[edited after carefull thinking and drinking a glass of ethanol/apple juice]

And again I missed it :( <- it's a translation of a Russian word above.

Discussing borsch in English... Brings a whole new meaning to national/cultural hatered :mad: :lol  

I hope Russian remembers that song about "Blue railway car" (sung by crocodile Gena, made into a folk war-song in early 80s), and what we'll load into that blue railway car....

Sometimes innuendos in English are enough, and are more dangerous then talking Russian. You (people who were born outside USSR) will never understand.

Unfortunately I do not recall that song and search engines didn’t provide any useful results. Could you provide a link please? I’m slowly forgetting many ‘small’ things and a reminder will go a long way. I try to keep up with times by watching old and new films. In fact my friend just brought from Moscow series called “Soldati” and Shtraffblat”
Btw, Speaking of Moscow, if I had your number last year, I would’ve stopped by. My crossover flight was held over for 24 hours during my last visit. Taxi cabs and hotels are very expensive!

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
what do you cook?
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2005, 12:36:34 AM »
boullion chicken or beef ... one of my favs sprinkled on top of popcorn and sometimes i add garlic power .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2005, 12:38:53 AM »
Cereal....Fruty pebbles, lucky charms, anything with lots of sugar.

You Russian guys are very entertaining BTW. :aok
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2005, 12:54:43 AM »
Originally posted by Russian
Unfortunately I do not recall that song and search engines didn’t provide any useful results. Could you provide a link please? I’m slowly forgetting many ‘small’ things and a reminder will go a long way.

Not now, OK? I am on dialup now :( From my Father's flat. I stay up and it's 0940 now. That's why I deliberately don't have i-net at my own flat.

I try to keep up with times by watching old and new films. In fact my friend just brought from Moscow series called “Soldati” and Shtraffblat”

Soldati is not bad. I didn't have such an experience, but friends who served and didn't throw their TVs into a window (i didn't do it only because I payed $350 for my 29") say it's almost true.

Shtrafbat - it's a complete bull****. From begining to the end. It's another attempt to make the crowd adopt new-fangled liberastic POV. There's not a single bit of truth in that series.

Btw, Speaking of Moscow, if I had your number last year, I would’ve stopped by. My crossover flight was held over for 24 hours during my last visit. Taxi cabs and hotels are very expensive!

You can almost always (not now - I have 2 persons at my flat already, but we can work it out anyway, I am not the only "pilot" living in Msk) drop your bones at my place.  My phone number is AFAIK known to all Muscovite and half of the Leningrad vir-pil community: 109-6453. If you'll be around - I'll be honoured to meet you and (if nesesary) give you shelter food and drinks in exchange for some baikas from Western hemisphere ;)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2005, 01:17:06 AM »
I cook up ideas for my wife to cook.

~AoM~

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2005, 02:14:35 AM »
On-topic: Pelmeni! "Only dogs like pelmeni without vodka!"

For MP-something: "Pelmeni" is a word that is translated from Russian to English as "pelmeni". Or maybe "pelmen's". It's a traditional Russian (mostly Siberian/Uralian) dish, made of grinded meat (pork and beef mixed) wrapped in dough, the size of a... hmmm... how to explain it... just a size that fits into your mouth or less. It's boiled and served with sour-cream. In Russia it's sold frozen, you only have to throw it into boiling water and in 10 minutes you have a hot tasty meal.

Like Pierogi?
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

storch

what do you cook?
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2005, 06:27:42 AM »
On-topic: is there anything special in Cuban meat dishes? i mean - using special spices or something?

I'm not sure if it is special or even particular to Cuba because I've had similar dishes with similar taste all over the hispanic caribbean and nothern Brasil so I suppose it is from common and similar neccesity that the method evolved.

most traditional Cuban meat dishes were made from far less than excellent cuts of meat consequently marinating was very important.  the most common and effective marinades basically consist of acids which could break down even shoe leather and make it palatable.  with a little #16 leeway from the ever ready to pounce moderation force here goes,

the most common is called "mojo" which means "to wet" or "to dip" in most caribbean/hispanic markets this is now available bottled. we still make our own.  as in most types of food preparation one persons recipe varies just a little from another's so therein lies the charm of sharing meals with friends.  the most common ingredients are bitter orange or grapefruit but lemon will work just as well, vinegar, different types of peppers of your liking, onion, garlic, salt and olive oil.  this I blend at high speed in order for the oil to mix with the citrus juice.  fresh out of the blender pour over your shoe leather until it is all covered.  refridgerate over night, bar b q tomorrow.

my favorite cut (and many others here as well) of what used to be cheap meat is flank steak.  in other parts of the country I'm sure this cut still sells inexpensively.  here it sells for more than sirloin because of the now popular Cuban dish among the anglo community called "churrasco".  the demand for this cut of meat that was once considered dog food is quite high.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
what do you cook?
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by storch
I seldom cook for myself because as soon as I start to one of my kids wants to share but one those occasions I like traditional Cuban meat dishes that I will be #16'd for.

Are we talkin' picadillo, or ropa vieja?  Arroz con frijoles negros?  Maybe some platanos maduros fritos?

yu-mmeee.  My wife cooks that stuff for me often.