Author Topic: am i gettin any better?  (Read 670 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
am i gettin any better?
« on: July 25, 2005, 10:15:37 PM »
see film... real action starts about 7:45 into film

http://home.wi.rr.com/jabostaffelhq/images/film44.zip

i still can't shoot good, but i think SA and acm's gettin a bit better, though im not a good judge

let me know what you thiink
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline TheThang

• Copper Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 10:52:55 PM »
yar a better pilot than me but apparently im a much better shot than you =D. Only advice i can give you is to stop shooting so far ahead.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 12:11:12 AM »
Stay out of the 190D9 and you'll do fine.:D
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline FuBaR

• Nickel Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 12:39:06 AM »
Is this a serious thread?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 12:55:34 AM »
Originally posted by FuBaR

validate!

:mad:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 07:02:14 AM »
yo did good but i think you should look around more. Maybe maybe not but i think if those had not been 110s you'da been dead because one came right on your 6 and you pulld up last minute. But don't take my word for it im worst then anyone :)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 09:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by FuBaR
yes fubar, asking for critique of my flying. i am not a great pilot, and trying to see where i can improve

oh yeah.. LMAO kermit ;)
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 09:20:47 PM »
Short answer no, long answer yes...with a but:p

j/k, filmed look fine to me.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 06:01:20 AM »
your ACMs and flying is fine. your gunnery is horrible.
work on your gunnery.

on 205 the distance was fine when you fired at it the 1st time. you just need to lead a lil more. that shot you needed to lead about 50 feet in front of him.

on the shot on the La if you pay attention you will notice, that you shot his tail off. when you had the line up for a perfect shot, you missed again because not leading enuff.  

the last one you got, when he was 400 yds out , you needed to double the lead or  better yet, waited til you were 200 yds out with that same lead you had when you fired at 400 yds.

you seem to be over correcting on some of the shots you made.
 nose bouncing all over. need to ease up on the corrections, nice and gentle. relax and breathe. ;)

just to help you visualize, imagine a water hose. and a dog you trying to hit with a solid stream of water, when the dog is running in circles around you. you point the hose in front of him and keep it there to get the stream of water to hit the dog constantly. on the ground it is a 2D evironment. in the air against planes it is 3D.

in the air you need to roll your plane to the targets flight path to get bullets lined up for steady stream of hits. aim at the planes flight path to get your bullets to meet his plane. time it right, nothing he can do to avoid a shootdown. sometimes not even stirring will save him.

set your convergence in closer, get closer to the target, get the right amount of lead in his flight path, and fire one second or half a second bursts.  

turn your tracers off and quit spraying.  :p
this is not, by far, all that is involved with gunnery.
 but I hope some of this helps you some.  

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 10:54:56 AM »
LOL die, i know i suck shooting :eek: ;)

"work on it" is something i have tried for 3.5 years... and it seems to be getting worse. i did the no tracers thing for about 6 months, and it got even worse. i just don't "see" where to shoot. either that or like you said, i am too ham-fisted, and over correcting.

ty for the input though

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 01:41:31 PM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
i just don't "see" where to shoot.  

then turn your head to where your eyes are parallel to the plane's flight path, then cross your eyes. and shoot at the one in front, at 200-300 yds.  

J/K ;)

go in offline  turn the lead computing sights thing on.

use tab to highlight the target plane, then attack like you would in MA. you will have to move around to get the shots lined up, since the drones just fly in a circle at 200 mph.

change your speeds and angles of attack to vary the shots, like they would be in MA.  pay attention to where target planes are. point your pipper at the green cross and when target is about 400 yds fire. fire at different distances on different passes you make to get better idea of what you need to do and when.

as for hamfisting try using keyboard to fire instead of joystick trigger. (F=primary, B=secondary, IIRC N=both)
try to keep the grip pressure (should be light) your hand has on the stick constant.

practice, practice, and practice some more. you'll get it.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 01:52:27 PM »
oh and one other thing you can try, point your whole plane on a collision course with intended target. hold your course like you trying to ram it (like a torpedo run), at 300 yds start firing and when you get about 25 yds from colliding, break hard or fly through the fireball risking damage to your plane. works better if you don't have tracers on to give away to the enemy, he is about to run into a hail of bullets.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 01:56:33 PM by DieAz »

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 02:01:22 PM »
lol cc die... you do know who i am right? JB73 ;)

can't do keyboard fire, got HOTAS, keyboard is for on the BBS :D

i'll work on shooting, but i have almost given up hope lol

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
am i gettin any better?
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 06:50:39 AM »
Mustaine,

If you don't know "where" to shoot to hit a shot, you havn't trained your brain to do it right yet.

Go into offline  turn on the lead computing gunsight. Pick one of the circleing planes. Now setup shots, deflection shots, HO's, tail chases, 3 - 9 oc slashing attacks,  etc.

All the time watch that lead computing sight. Learn where you have to lead to  hit.

Once you have a real idea what your doing. Turn the lead computing sight off, (and tracers) now go do it again.

Once you really master reading how much lead is required it gets easier.

BTW 10 minutes offline before I head to main is the perfect way to "warm up".

If you still can't get it give me a yell.
There are a few things I can show you that may help.