Author Topic: B17 actual  (Read 468 times)

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
B17 actual
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 07:40:26 AM »
U can see how lousy those waffle guns really where.

Lotsa flashes and smoke but no harm at all.

The engines not even smoke.
:)

Offline Ted Strykker

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
B17 actual
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 11:08:36 PM »
Lotsa flashes and smoke but no harm at all.
You forget that those cannon rounds were traveling past the gunners that are in the back because none of them are shooting back.

Offline OntosMk1

• Nickel Member
B17 actual
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 01:58:18 AM »
Dead ship......probably a captured 17 or not fuly crewed. On the approach not ONE of the 17s guns are firing. Also, The ball turret is facing down which means the gunner more than likely isnt in there. There is no sign of A/C tracking from ANY gun position at all which tells me no-ones home. Let me find some footage of a LW attack on a actual combat box of B17s....Then you'll see how scary it was to try and shoot down bombers for the LW pilots.

Also noticed that only a couple of cannon rounds where used. Most of it was MG.
:D
TIGER, tiger, burning bright  
In the forests of the night,  
What immortal hand or eye  
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
B17 actual
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 06:45:54 AM »
One thing in going to airshows and VFW gatherings and speaking to real buff gunners during the war, most agreed that if the germans got in close enough and "the fighters guns lite up like a christmas tree" its too late for you, them bullets and cannon rounds do a number on the crew, one client of mine had 37 missions with the Hells Angels gunning said that alot of planes make it back..but alot of the crew wouldnt'.
He was quick to input that he never refused to crew a ship that the ("short handed")gunners were injured or killed on , but he sure as hell would never volunteer for it either!  I asked him at what range he would start firing his 50s, "as soon as you know its a german!, them fighter pilots are just as scared as we were and if they think your not paying attention or dead at the gun they will go for your ship first "  another thing he spoke of was that biggest  reason they kept the gun barrels moving around is so that the germans knew the gun was manned and not knocked out or out of ammo, "give em reason to think twice !"

His joke was that the "tail gunner is for the pilot...if he bails out too early ! "

If you ever get to ride in or see up close a b17, there isnt much metal between you and the bullets flying thru it.

Offline Ted Strykker

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
B17 actual
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 10:24:09 AM »
Back in 1987 a D model 17 by the name of Sentimental Journey landed at the local Airport.

While on display i was talkin too a couple of guys and one of them happen too be a retired tail gunner.

This guy was about 80 years old at the time,he's just standing in the back of the aircraft while people stroll past him,the whole time he's just standing there with tears down his face,so i ask him if he's all right,he say's yes and tells me about 1 of his missions over Germany.He said the whole bottom of the rear fuelselage had been blown away by a German fighter and his 2 buddies that were manning the waste guns were gone also.

The guy was just stolling down memory lane,and hit a bad place.