Author Topic: My dads story  (Read 609 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
My dads story
« on: March 23, 2001, 01:57:00 PM »
 I have thought about posting my fathers experiences as a POW in Korea on Vets day. But its not about WW2 and only incidentally about Planes. So I didn't. However I went to the trouble to copy it down, for another reason. So I thought I would post it.

Be warned, it is grim and a little long.  Dads story has appeared in a few books. So I picked the most through, and not being a writer myself, I copied it down. This is from Philip Chinnery's book. KOREAN ATROCITY

HTTP://home.houston.rr.com/zippo/dadsstory.txt

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
My dads story
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
Great read, easymo.

<S> to you and your father.

I'm sure you've got some pretty interesting stories of your own experiences in Vietnam.

[This message has been edited by Nash (edited 03-23-2001).]

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
My dads story
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2001, 07:38:00 PM »
<S>! Thanks for sharing it.

My uncle was in Korea and he won't talk about to this day.

Frodo

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Spooky67

• Zinc Member
      • http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alain.mattia/
My dads story
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2001, 03:39:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing it ...I had relatives at Dien Bien Phu and they paid a high price too...
<S> to your father and you !

------------------
---------
Spooky67
---------
"Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof"
(I am overmodelled ! )

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
My dads story
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »
That was quite a moving story.  Thanks for sharing it.  <S> to your father and you.  Here's hoping that his wish of another book like that never being written comes true.

Cougar

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
My dads story
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2001, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Easymo.

<S>

------------------
Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
My dads story
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2001, 03:00:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing this easymo.

It makes me realize just how lucky we are, and puts the 'layoff' at EA in perspective.

-GE

'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
My dads story
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2001, 05:25:00 PM »
Great story easymo. Hope your dads doing well these days.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
My dads story
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2001, 08:25:00 PM »
 He is doing fine HB. He wound up with a metal plate in his head. Has a hell of a time getting through the metal detectors at airports  . It has had its advantages for me though. Whenever people accuse me of being hard headed. I point to dad.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
My dads story
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2001, 02:13:00 AM »
I had to peruse that story again because it was so captivating easymo. I only hope that youngsters growing up today understand the sacrifices that their predecessors made to give them what they have. I've served my country but can't pretend to have gone through what veterans of that era did. My war only lasted 100 hours. However, I do my best to insure that my children grow up understanding that their freedoms and our country's good fortune were secured with the blood and sweat of heroes....yes....heroes...lik e your father.

Again, <S>

------------------
Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
My dads story
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2001, 03:37:00 AM »
 Funny thing, raub, my kids take this all in stride. My wife's father was a tank commander in WW2, was decorated in the battle of the bulge (purple hart). So all the men in there lives have been soldiers. They just think its what men do .

As far as your combat time is concerned. Did the guy who was wounded serve less than the one that was killed? Did the one that stayed in the states serve less then the one that was wounded? Winding up in combat is just the luck of the draw. Anyone in an American uniform takes his chances and is due respect for that reason. If you want to know where to draw the line. Its at the induction center. The men take the oath. The others do whatever they do.