Author Topic: Anyone had any experience with residential photovoltaic energy generation?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Hi guys,
 I am starting to get interested in that power-generating stuff.

It seems that a solar photovoltaic system pays off in 70+years with guarantee on cells (life expectancy) less then half of that and other related equipment much shorter.
 Of course the rate in Long Island, NY is much higher then standard 12 cents/kWh and there are some rebates from State but it is not the sunniest location on earth either.

How does it work? I cannot see it being financially justifiable right now. Maybe if the cost dropped 10 times more and.or efficiency increased...

I have a flat 53x25 feet roof and would like to get into independent energy generation and all that saving the earth stuff, but not sure if that is a reasonable undertaking right now.

Any ideas, experience, suggestions?

miko

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Eventhough wind-power is more efficient, I think that solar is the future for residential power generation.  I think that if the "solar cube" technology gets refined, it could easily become the alternative.
 http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/WorldNewsSaturday/altpower010106.html

If my home had a south-facing roof, I would be seriously looking into some sort of solar set up.  As it is now, I only have a security light and the garden fountain running on solar.  Go to www.jademountain.com  and see the large-scale projects they have worked on.  It's interesting.

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
I think I read something on that matter in a IEEE Spectrum issue, will look it up for you.

Daniel, aka Cyrano

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Check local utility policies as well.  Any extra you generate (for instance when you're not home) they will be siphoning off of you.  Some areas will credit you for this, others will not.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Research research research.

Research available options.  Photovoltaic is not a very efficient option... and it has the reputation of being high maintenance.  But, I'm sure technology is working to resolve this.

Research methods of implimentation.  Are you planning on augmenting your current public utility usage?... or replacing it all together?

Research local regulations.  The rules with my power company currently require some $100,000 worth of voltage control systems to be put in place to ensure proper regulation and conditioning before they will buy power back... or even allow you to hook into a system that they are tied into (without a hard switch).  That is reportedly being replaced by a $1200 system, but I have not heard if that was ever resolved.

Its definately not a plug and play alternative.

AKDejaVu

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Word of warning.

While solar panels may last a very long time, they will do untold horrors to your roof.

At one time we had solar panels that was for the utilitys in the garage (with switch to draw off the normal power grid too)

They worked good for about 6 years, but started destorying the roofing underneath them. They never did pay themselves off, and luckily we got a major hail storm, so insurance covered the roof. Sold the panels off.

:)

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
I dont know much about this stuff but I have a solar powered calculator and I need a flashlight to turn the freaking thing on.

Ill Just stick with Ontario Hydro untill they finally go bankrupt

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Originally posted by Jigster:
Word of warning.

My little cabin down in Ocenview has em' since '91.. I got from RealGoods. Still work great.. If it wasn't for the tall trees, I'd have a windmill. (generates more power). The marine batteries had to be replaced a couple of times.

[qb]While solar panels may last a very long time, they will do untold horrors to your roof.

Need to mount em on a piece of plywood.

The inverter is the key here don't be cheap get the best inverter you can.

Its fun to give the Texas "one horn hook'em" to people like Duke and Eron
10Bears
  :)[/QB]

Offline DingHao2

• Copper Member
Who the hell cares about this 'saving the earth' crap.  I want to keep my vette.  I want to draw energy from a nuclear power plant which produces NO pollution).  I want to live in a bomming economy, not a busting one.  I want to live the high life, not the low life.  I want the freedom to govern myself.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Ding,

You're the only one who mentioned "saving the earth".  We are talking about generating our own power.  If you could refine your own gasoline for your vette, wouldn't you do it?

Talk about low life.   :D

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
I wouldn't put solar cells on my roof.  (I'm an electrical engineer ... well OK, I'm a senior in college for that.  ;) )  They are still extremely inefficient and very expensive as of today.  In the future they may be better, but by then fusion power may have become a reality and there will be no need for them.

In addition, who's going to climb up on the roof every month to clean the dust and grime off of them?  Have you also considered that they will get very hot when operating, and they act to insulate your roof, making your roof get very hot and moist.  This isn't exactly good on your roof.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Ya! Whats this saving the earth BS?

We want to stiff the power companies! Like Reliant Energy!

I mean come on! Renaming the Astrodome "Reliant Park"? What kind of BS is that?

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Thanks, guys.

I will investigate the issue further.
 I have a flat roof and I thought placing the panels would not have been much trouble and they would actually screen the roof from sun exposure.

What kind of problems do they cause to the roof?

miko

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
Originally posted by Ding_Hao:
Who the hell cares about this 'saving the earth' crap.  I want to keep my vette.  I want to draw energy from a nuclear power plant which produces NO pollution).  I want to live in a bomming economy, not a busting one.  I want to live the high life, not the low life.  I want the freedom to govern myself.

Are you serious? If you are, nuclear power plants are far from pollution free.

Offline DingHao2

• Copper Member
What pollution do nuclear power plants make?  Huh?  HUH???!!!  the only polluting bunch in the world's the FDB's.