Author Topic: Tree Hugging Hippie Crap:  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Tree Hugging Hippie Crap:
« on: June 26, 2001, 02:35:00 PM »
Or, "How the Liberals sold you a lemon all these years!"

"There’s no doubt that environmentalist nuts want us to change our lifestyles, and the sooner the better (and when I say "environmentalist nuts," I’m not talking about level-headed, conservation-minded types who want clean air and water; I’m talking about the far left wackos. You’ll discover what I’m driving at shortly). But why do they want people to alter their lifestyles - and in some cases, give up their  livelihoods altogether - in the name of the planet? Simple; it’s not in the name of the planet at all. The whole thing is so damn political it disturbs me that half the country continually buys their crap.
[/b]

Comments?  :)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2001, 03:07:00 PM »
reminds me of the sucker fish vs farm land issue and the fact that "someone" has place the value of a crap eating useless bottom fish over the value of a farming community & their livelyhood....

typical of today's "values" though

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
story time!  (true too!)

The school district I work for built a new middle school that opened up this past school year.  They building it, and were about to clean away this last little patch of area so they could work on the parking lot when everything came to a grinding halt!  
"Hold!!!" said the environmentalists!  
 :confused: "What is it??  What's wrong???" said the EVIL developers and construction workers.  
 :mad: "This area is a POSSIBLE habitat for a rare and endangered salamander!" replied the whacko leftoids.
 :eek: "We haven't seen one salamander the entire time we've been here.  Snakes, scorpions, bugs, yes.  Salamanders no"
 :( "You don't understand, the salamander MIGHT live here!  If you clear this last 250sq foot area, you might make the species extinct!"
(legal stuff happens...  school is delayed...)
 :rolleyes: "ok ok, we'll leave this PALTRY little bit of land untouched, so that the STILL NOT AS OF YET SEEN salamander can have a nice little home right here in front of the school,"  the MALICIOUS right wing politicians of the school board said.
 :D "HOORAY!  This is a great victory for the salamander and environmentalists alike!" cried the jubilent, yet moronic leftist goofballs.

To date, no one has ever seen a salamander at the middle school, and the little (and I mean it IS little) patch of trees is still right there in front of the school.  However, I did put my hand on a (thank heavens!!!) DEAD scorpion in the lab when we were setting it up in August.  It had been dead for awhile, since it was all dried up, but still freaked me out!  Woulda been rather painful had he been alive!  Dunno if the little bugger came from the Salamander Preserve or not, but if he did...    :mad:
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »
It kind of reminds me of the "Y2K" threat.  :rolleyes:

It's basically misinformation aimed at increasing someones profit margin <or political power in this instance> by frightening all the "enviro-lemmings" into a panic.

I watched a NOVA episode a few weeks back showing the influence of the sun and sunspots on the earths climate, they used ice cores to show weather patterns over thousands of years to prove their theory.

I'll believe proven scientific facts over some enviro lemmings theories anyday.  :p

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »
While I support the guy's cause, his statements are as much un-scientific BS as the "tree huggin’, hippie crap,".

Even when the global warming occures and average temperature raises a lot, some locations on earth will get cooler.

Even if our computers cannot accurately predict weather five days in advance, it does not mean we cannot accurately predict avarage yearly temperature years in advance.
 Maybe we can and maybe we cannot, but those two have nothing to do with each other.

miko

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2001, 10:23:00 PM »
Weeeeell.... Global warming exists, BUT it is not anywhere near the major threat of catastrophe that we are led to believe. I mean... "a global average temperature change of 1 degree could be disastrous. Polar ice caps would melt, causing flodding, blah, blah, blah..."

So I'm supposed to believe that the ice caps are sitting around at 31.5 degrees or something? Gee whiz, we're in trouble! :rolleyes

That aside, we DO need to clean up our act. Better safe than sorry. Besides, many of the factors that contribute to warming are also problematic with regard to clean air, water etc.

Oh, and just so you know - some of my best friends are hippies  :mad: How dare you!? You clearly haven't experienced the joy of embracing nature! Go out an hug a tree! You'll come back changed...

;)

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2001, 10:25:00 PM »
There's no doubt the enviromentalist nuts want us to change our lifestyles, and the sooner the better...  

Sudden thought: Look who's talking. Sorry, just couldn't let that one go...

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2001, 12:50:00 AM »
Let us remember that those that claim we are in global warming now, claimed the globe was cooling in the 1970's!!

Common sence leads me to believe that noone really knows if the globe is warming or cooling.  There just isn't enough recordkeeping to make these wild extreme claims of warming or cooling!!

Does anyone really think that mankind could change the climate?  Even if we made it a global project to change the climate and all on earth worked towards that goal, it would never be achieved.  Everything we tried to do would be determental to human beings and we would extinguish the flame of human existence first!!  We human beings are like fleas on an elephant to "mother earth"!!

Fear not, my children.  The sky isn't falling, trust me.

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2001, 01:33:00 AM »
Wanna know how to create global warming? Get a globe (like in the schools) and a hair dryer. Turn the dryer on full and hold it about 1.5 feet from the globe. There! Global warming....

;)

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2001, 05:30:00 AM »
What's really going to be funny is when we snap into another ice age and all the environmentalist get eaten by polar bears.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2001, 06:14:00 AM »
Seriously guys, I think the US right is around the only population group in the western world that doesn't see global warming as a real threat.

The latest report done by scientists suggests that the rate of increase will be greater than previously anticipated.

Now, whether this is due to human pollution or simply just nature's way (just gotta say that through studying the ice caps, scientists haven't found such a significant increase in such a short time ever before), it's still a major issue.

For those of you that think 2 degrees centigrade won't make much of a difference: yer wrong  :).

It'll change eco systems indefinitely and this warm cute waterflow we have outside Denmark is likely to slow down significantly.

If you're interested, I have some articles that deal not with what causes global warming, but what a 2-4 degree centigrade increase would do. It's a bit scary.

We can adapt, of course, but the world economy will suffer heavily, not to mention various eco systems.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2001, 07:10:00 AM »
The latest report done by scientists suggests that the rate of increase will be greater than previously anticipated

What latest report? What scientists?

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2001, 07:39:00 AM »
We can adapt, of course, but the world economy will suffer heavily, not to mention various eco systems.

Nature adapts.  Humans adapt.

The economy will suffer as a result of adapting?  What economics course did you take?  AC, increased power consumption, new markets... suffer?

AKDejaVu

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2001, 08:01:00 AM »
Bush killed the Kioto treaty...
economics and american way of life above global warming...
profit above lives...
airco above nature...

25% of earth's inhabitants use over 50% of global energy consumed.

Let us all guess.... which country would that be....

Broes

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2001, 08:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Broes:
Bush killed the Kioto treaty...
economics and american way of life above global warming...
profit above lives...
airco above nature...

25% of earth's inhabitants use over 50% of global energy consumed.

Let us all guess.... which country would that be....

Broes

he didn't kill dink. He just didn't sign on to a flawed treaty that the only country that has signed on is Denmark. If it was such a great idea, how come the rest of the world didn't jump on the bandwagon, forcing the US to follow? Uh? Because they know it's a pile of dung too...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals