Author Topic: G2 vs G6  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
G2 vs G6
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 12:04:25 PM »
Originally posted by TracerX
Although I love the G-2 and its cool skins, I agree with Kweassa the 30mm gun package is spectacularly good.  I enter an engagement with the only purpose to get one or two shots at D200 or less.  The 30mm will end the fight with only a single hit, two hits are tremendously satisfying.  It goes something like this Bang...Bang...Kaboom!!  Brings a smile to my face every time.  :aok

I tend to feel that the advantage isn't in the cannon though but in the cowl guns. the G2 cowl guns are near useless whereas the G6's are quite credible.  The 30mm, for the average players, is simply too difficult to use thus they don't get any advantage from it.  I also think the 30mm makes the aircraft a bit more unbalanced, or so it feels to me.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 12:09:39 PM »
THAT is what I don't get.. nobody can hit reliably with the 30mm!! It takes a lot of practice, and close ranges... And yet in reality the cannon ranges were longer than MG ranges! Bomber crews reported being hit by cannon by planes outside their gun range (albeit even if only outside guns range for a short moment). The 30mm was supposed to have LONG range, and with that long range could be fired with the standard gunsight, but in AH it's almost useless for anything past d200.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
G2 vs G6
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 02:11:31 PM »
Krusty,
  I think you should read some of the materials from Tony Williams or pick up his book(s).

The 109 had the Mk108 30mm cannon which fired the 30x90RB round.  That round had a muzzle velocity of only 505m/s which is slow.  Compare that to the 20mm Mg151/20 option which had a muzzle velocity from 720-800m/s (depending on round).  Slower round flight, longer flight time to target, more gravity induced acceleration (drop)... those are NOT the reciepe for "Easier" aiming/hitting.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 04:12:15 PM »
Anyone that knows me knows I fly the 109's pretty much exclusivly.Im more inclined to fly the G6 over the G2.Its the guns.Im a tater tard too:aok
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 10:24:18 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
THAT is what I don't get.. nobody can hit reliably with the 30mm!! It takes a lot of practice, and close ranges... And yet in reality the cannon ranges were longer than MG ranges! Bomber crews reported being hit by cannon by planes outside their gun range (albeit even if only outside guns range for a short moment). The 30mm was supposed to have LONG range, and with that long range could be fired with the standard gunsight, but in AH it's almost useless for anything past d200.

Krusty,

AH models air density. If you take a 109 up to 30K and fire at the ring target you will see you have double the range of sea level shots because the air is so much thinner.

In WW2 the 109s were fighting bombers at high alts, not our MA dive bombing field vulching B-24s at 1K.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 10:55:10 PM »
I think Mandoble tested the dispersion of the 30mm a while back and it was pretty big.  I personally prefer the 20mm, I fire it with the mg's... stuff still falls down when you hit.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 11:01:22 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I think Mandoble tested the dispersion of the 30mm a while back and it was pretty big.  I personally prefer the 20mm, I fire it with the mg's... stuff still falls down when you hit.

I remember that test now, and I believe the 30mm dispersion was a large cone of random hits that was 3x the diameter of historical tests, and the test showed that dispersion was random instead of centrally clustered, if I recall?

re: 20mm

word

but I just can't force myself to use 20mm when there's that lure of the instant 30mm kill! It's masochistic, I KNOW, but I just can't stop choosing the 30mm on 109s!!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 10:24:15 PM »
I used to be alright with the 30mm, but even inside of 100 yards it is a crapshoot as to whether or not you will hit.  You can set up the shot perfectly and still miss more than half the time with the 30mm, since the ROF is so low and it scatters so much.  

With the 20mm and the MGs, you are putting out enough lead that you'll at least hit the guy if you don't knock him down.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 11:18:27 PM »
I think I shall abandon my 30mm masochism and stick to only 20mm for the future.. see if I can train myself to shoot in a 109 again!

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2005, 05:03:26 AM »
It's possible to master taters and be able to get 10 kills on your 65 stack with some ammo to spare, but it takes a LOT of work. The key is to set your convergence to 225. I can't hit a damn thing on any other setting, but it's fairly consistent for me at 225.
Army of Muppets

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2005, 11:18:44 PM »
Hrm... I think I have mine set to 325 (MGs set to 275). Darn. Now I have to go and try 225 (once I install AH on the new system)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 08:52:35 AM »
Won't matter much.. took up a G6 today with the 30mm, had a P-38 fly in between the rounds twice in one fight.  

The gun just isn't reliable enough to use... better luck with the 20mm, or just fly a plane with Hizookas and get all the hitting power with a much nicer trajectory and ROF.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 09:05:13 AM »
My problem is i dont know when the rounds go off... do you fire continuosly or only fire one by one round?

Also it might be that the sound is missleading, maybe the fire sound doesnt sync with the gun on continuous?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 10:27:12 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Won't matter much.. took up a G6 today with the 30mm, had a P-38 fly in between the rounds twice in one fight.  

The gun just isn't reliable enough to use... better luck with the 20mm, or just fly a plane with Hizookas and get all the hitting power with a much nicer trajectory and ROF.

That's CHEATING Urchin!!! :P

If I wanted easy no-chance-of-missing kills I'd fly a spitV all the time, but I don't. :)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
G2 vs G6
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Schutt
My problem is i dont know when the rounds go off... do you fire continuosly or only fire one by one round?

Also it might be that the sound is missleading, maybe the fire sound doesnt sync with the gun on continuous?

Short bursts... Like 3-5 (5 tops if I can control myself). And for MGs I don't know if the sounds are synched, but on the slow ROF of the 30mm I think they are synched. "Puff puff puff" usually equates to 3 shells fired to me. Easiest way to find out is to enable tracers and watch and listen at the same time.