Author Topic: EP-3 in China  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2001, 06:41:00 AM »
anyway you look at it, could get real nasty real quick as the two superpowers try to save face

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2001, 07:02:00 AM »
Wonder why the pilot decided to go for China landing field. Must have been losing engine power or hydraulics, and plane musta been too damanged to be able to ditch.

The last time a US plane was in a similar situation, the pilot ditched his aircraft in the water.

All depends on China now; the US were playing by the rules (and, it is the job of the FASTER plane to avoid the slower one, and Chinese pilots get very little airtime, so i dont think the fault is on the US guys), and now China has an opportunity to shape the future relationship.

Will be interesting.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2001, 07:24:00 AM »
I guess US Navy needs to re-visit what they feed their crews - if the pilots like Chineese this much, just include it in the darn menue! .

(as long as no-one got hurt...)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
Mr. Fish,

I think everyone realizes how delicate the activity of Recon was, particularly during the hotter parts of the Cold War. It still is.

As a result, very nit-picky definitions of what was legitimate "recon" and what was "spying" were required and were generated.

If you violate the airspace (or seaspace) of a potentially hostile power you were/are "spying". In that situation, all bets are off. You can be attacked/killed/captured with generally NO International Laws or protections coming into play on your behalf. Most civilized powers would simply force you down to a landing in their territory. (There are ways.) Less civilized nations would kill you.

When you are over International Airspace, several different International treaties apply. Attacking a Recon aircraft in this situation is generally considered Causus Belli by all the nations that do this sort of thing.

To generally lump recon and spying together is totally incorrect.

From what is developing in the news (and that's a caution right there) this is my "best guess" at what happened:

The fighters were on the wing of the EP-3 as it flew its designated track; a typical occurrence; they probably were in pretty tight. Every track has turn points; usually these points are known to the intercepting nation (after all the same track is often flown on a weekly basis). The EP-3 came to a turn point, made its turn and one of the fighters apparently didn't have the formation skills required to avoid hitting him.

Let me make this clear: An aircraft operating in International Airspace, off controlled airways, is free to fly any track with any turn points that it so desires. If intercepted, it would be the legal responsibility of the fighters not to run into the slower aircraft.

When I used to do this, the interceptors would usually move out to loose route about 10 miles prior to the turn point. They knew where it was. Then they'd close back in on the straight leg. Common courtesy; keeps everyone relaxed.

If this is the case, China is at fault and they should be abiding by ICAO aircraft in distress treaties. Presently, they are not.

For you to simply dismiss this Recon mission as "essentially spying" does a distinct disservice to the crew. If they were in International airspace, we should all be clamoring for their immediate release and the return (untouched) of the aircraft.

From all I've seen so far, these guys are US military on a legitimate recon mission. They deserve our total support.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
Santa,

The EP's generally loiter on two engines. Losing one most likely wouldn't have put them in a "maday" situation. There's got to be more serious damage than an engine.

(Gets in rocking chair, combs white beard)

Back in my day, sonny, the orders WERE to ditch it in the deepest water you could get to rather than land at any (and I quote) "Communist Dominated Country".

Dang glad I never had to ditch... lots of things usually go wrong in ditchings.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
Yups, Toad.. Read the same thing in the papers today.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
 www.56thfightergroup.org
This is Yardstick, follow me"

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
Toad:

It must be a "spy" plane.  The unbiased, knowledgeable, and "fair" US Media are reporting it as such.......

Cabby
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

MrSiD

EP-3 in China
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
There was a chinese agent onboard the spyplane who forced the crew to land to china. Why else would he have landed a perfectly good plane on chinese ground?

Now all the capitalist secrets will be revealed muuhahaha!

That's the big secret left out..  

It's common practise to keep civilians onboard top-secret US vehicles, just look at the submarine collision that took place recently! lol.

Mk10 225th

EP-3 in China
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2001, 09:11:00 PM »
My view from the Liberal Left:

I doubt a pilot of the U.S. Navy was stupid enough to violate the international boundary in the ocean, much less flying over their country.

I could fully see a Chinese F-8 bumping into our plane.

The Chinese are going to have to figure out a way to get this straightened out, while "saving face" with the rest of the world.

We certainly are not going to let 24 good servicemen be turned into prisoners by the Chinese, and we want our damn plane back too.

If Bush hadn't just gotten finished pointing his finger at the Chinese as a damn good reason why he shouldn't be following the Kyoto treaty, we might have them back already.

The Chinese need us as much as we need them as far as manufacturing and commerce are concerned.  I'd like to see us try and run our country without the goods they make, and I'd like to see their country get along without the money we pay them to make them.

What we're seeing is a playground pissing contest.

Unfortunately, 24 young men hang in the balance.  I think it's about time for both sides to stop blustering at each other and flexing their muscles, and get on with business as usual.  

The Chinese need to start playing ball, and Bush needs to stop giving them reasons to act like idiots.  The more he shoots his mouth off about how tough a stance he's going to take, the more it makes the Asian mind want to rebel, and not give him what he wants.

Let's hope both sides start acting like world powers, and not 7 year olds on a playground.

Mk

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2001, 09:36:00 PM »
Check the list. men and women.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2001, 10:21:00 PM »

Originally posted by Mk10 225th:

The Chinese are going to have to figure out a way to get this straightened out, while "saving face" with the rest of the world.[/b]

No, they are going to have to figure out if they really want to be part of the normal world community and quit acting like petty warlords.

If Bush hadn't just gotten finished pointing his finger at the Chinese...

So if someone says something you don't like about you (true or not), then as a nation you are entitled to illegally detain a declared emergency aircraft and its crew in contravention of international law?

The Chinese need us as much as we need them as far as manufacturing and commerce are concerned.  
 http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html  
 http://www.uschina.org/press/trade7.html  

Check the balance of trade and check the type of items we actually import from them.

#1 is electrical machinery and equipment. Can you make it without a cheap cell phone and CD player.

#2 on the list is....toys. An amount almost equal to the electrical stuff.

#3 is that fabulous Chinese footwear...like flip-flops and fake leather boots.

#4 is apparel. Probably that hi-fashion stuff I see on CNN all the time.

Wonder if we can get this stuff anywhere else in the world before the lack of it causes us to expire?

Are there any other countries that would like a piece of this trade action?

In Millions USD:

Exports to China: 16,253.00

Imports from China:  100,063.00

US Trade Balance with China  -83,810.00  

Yes, agreed, the schoolyard bully, China is acting up again.

That EP-3 crew did nothing that justifies detaining the crew, keeping them incommunicado or that would allow the Chinese to examine or confiscate the aircraft.

I think it's about time for both sides to stop blustering at each other

Actually it's just time for China to let the crew go and turn over the aircraft. That's all there is to it. Do that, it's ancient history in 7-14 days. It's simply the right thing to do. Oh, yeah... "I'm sorry" would be nice as well but I doubt they have that much class.  

The Chinese need to start playing ball, and Bush needs to stop giving them reasons to act like idiots

Apparently, they never need a reason. I really don't feel Bush is giving them one. Any President would make essentially the same remarks... and they have in the past in similar situations.

From CNN:

"President Bush described himself as "troubled" by China's response to the incident and called for "immediate access" to the crew. Twice within an hour on Monday, he called for a release of the plane "without any further tampering."

"Our priorities are the prompt and safe return of the crew, and the return of the aircraft without further damaging or tampering," Bush said outside the White House, saying the Chinese response has been "inconsistent with standard diplomatic practice" and contrary to a desire for "better relations."

Whooo-eee... now that's some incendidary sabre rattling, isn't it?       (Image removed from quote.)

Let's hope both sides start acting like world powers, and not 7 year olds on a playground.

I think we've been pretty restrained so far. I imagine that will continue for a bit.

[/b]

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 04-02-2001).]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
It's time to roll in there and take back what is ours and being held illegally from us! We should have creamed the plane with cruise missles while the chinamen were doing their little inspection.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Mk10 225th

EP-3 in China
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2001, 11:11:00 AM »
The Chinese are going to have to figure out a way to get this straightened out, while "saving face" with the rest of the world.

No, they are going to have to figure out if they really want to be part of the normal world community and quit acting like petty warlords.

If Bush hadn't just gotten finished pointing his finger at the Chinese...

So if someone says something you don't like about you (true or not), then as a nation you are entitled to illegally detain a declared emergency aircraft and its crew in contravention of international law?

Of course they shouldn't be acting like petty warlords.  And of course they shouldn't feel they are entitled to illegally detain a declared emergency aircraft and its crew in contravention of international law.

But on the other hand, I'll ask you a question:  Should any reasonable, intelligent person expect a country that has been being unreasonable, and acting like petty warlords for 3,000 years, suddenly do an about-face, and start playing ball?

I mean come on...the history of China makes the American Wild West look like a church social.

These people have been perpetrating cruelty and inhumanity on their OWN people, much less the other people in the world, while we were still foraging with sticks and rocks for food on the European continent.  I agree with you that their behaviour is totally wrong and reprehensible...expecting them to change overnight is naive.

#1 is electrical machinery and equipment. Can you make it without a cheap cell phone and CD player.

I wish I could answer this with a hearfelt, "Hell yes!  Screw the bastards!", but I can't.  It's more like, "Geez, I sure wish we could!"

We have come to rely on their cheap production so much, that it's frightening.  And remember, lots and lots of American companies profit by the sale and distribution of goods made in China.  

These companies provide jobs for Americans, and use American labor and materials to build their stores and distribution outlets.  They pay local taxes that support the areas they are in, and unfortunately are horribly intertwined with our economy, on both a national and local level.

#2 on the list is....toys. An amount almost equal to the electrical stuff.

Kind of the same as above.  Mattel, Tyco, Kenner, Hasbro, etc., all provide products for a lot of stores that sell their items...Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Toys 'R Us, etc.  It's a very, very, complicated issue.

#4 is apparel. Probably that hi-fashion stuff I see on CNN all the time.

Not sure about this one.  I'm not the most well-dressed guy you'd ever see.  

Yes, agreed, the schoolyard bully, China is acting up again.

That EP-3 crew did nothing that justifies detaining the crew, keeping them incommunicado or that would allow the Chinese to examine or confiscate the aircraft.

Of course they didn't.  But again, think, you're fighting 3,000 years of insanity here.  They've never needed a reason to do half the toejam they've ever done, outside of maybe building the Great Wall of China.  And they couldn't even do that without incredible amounts of violence and what would be thought of as human rights violations in our day and age.

From CNN:

"President Bush described himself as "troubled" by China's response to the incident and called for "immediate access" to the crew. Twice within an hour on Monday, he called for a release of the plane "without any further tampering."

"Our priorities are the prompt and safe return of the crew, and the return of the aircraft without further damaging or tampering," Bush said outside the White House, saying the Chinese response has been "inconsistent with standard diplomatic practice" and contrary to a desire for "better relations."

Whooo-eee... now that's some incendidary sabre rattling, isn't it?

All sarcasim aside, that's the kind of response a world leader SHOULD give, and is a little toned-down to the kind of rhetoric I heard being thrown around on Sunday.  

Now he's moving in the right direction.  This may be the start of getting a positive result to this situation where a nation with a "petty warlord" mentality steals the flag to get some attention, because really, that's all that this is about.

"Look at us, we're important!  Really, we are!  I know that day-in, day-out, we look like a bunch of bumbling human-rights violators that don't even care about our OWN people, let alone anyone else, but hey, look!  We're not to be trifled with!"

That's all that's going on.  We need to understand this for what it is:  A game being played by people who have nothing else better to do except harass Taiwan and Tibet, and, one that they can be beaten at, if we play our cards right, without getting into a shooting situation.

It's time to roll in there and take back what is ours and being held illegally from us! We should have creamed the plane with cruise missles while the chinamen were doing their little inspection.

Eagler

Eagler old boy, I'm afraid you just failed the "Could I Someday Be The Leader of a Major World Power?" test that's in the back of your Captain America comic book.  

Check the list. men and women.

That probably hurts the most Dinger.  I apologize if any offense was given not recognizing the contribution by women to our current military structure.

Let me say that the lives of American Service Personnel hang in the balance.

Anyhoo, in short, let's not expect these people to do a complete about-face from what they've been doing for 3,000 years.  

You also can't control people like that by using the fear of retribution.  At least not in a military sense.

You do it by outsmarting them, and beating them at their own game.  Never underestimate the ability of a greedy American who wants something really, really bad.

You get smooth on their ass.  You say things like, "Gee, y'know, I really think here that we were in proper position there.  And I'm sorry one of your planes ran into ours.  I can understand how that would make you feel upset.

But y'know, if your antiquated aircraft had better avionics, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Tell you what:  Let's get those men and women and their aircraft back, and maybe we can sit down and talk about avionics for your aircraft.

And since we're going to be talking about stuff like avionics, I mean, since we're going to be all together anyway, we could maybe visit topics like Taiwan and Tibet, too.

You see, it'd really make us look bad in the Eyes of the World if anything we ever helped you with got used against those two countries.

But this way, your pilots could do their job, we could do ours, and everybody would be happy.

Oh, and by the way, did we happen to mention that we will be revisiting ideas on how our universities deal with foreign students?  Oh, don't worry, we all want the best for everyone, but you see, education is a VERY high priority in this administration!"

And I'm not saying that that is exactly what would work, but I just think if we use our hearts and minds in this endeavour, instead of our muscles, we could come out ahead, and gain respect.

The Chinese have a long history of respecting intelligent, resourceful salesmen.  Trade always has been, and always will be a chess game to them.

So, in closing (Thank God! murmurs the crowd), I just want to say that there are no easy answers, but by using our minds, we can win a lot of battles.

Mk  

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
EP-3 in China
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
Why even deal with people that have a history of, in your own words, "3,000 years of insanity"?

Trade? Just say "no."

Over the course of the next 10 years let's just slowly withdraw from trade with crazy, petty warlords.

I'm sure there are other areas in the world where people would love to be making cheap CD players, GI Joe figures, flip-flop sandals and thin cotton T-shirts for the US market.

It would take some time. 10 years too long? Not long enough? Where's that "Chinese view" I'm always hearing about?

Why do we pretend "insane petty warlords" are "normal" parts of world society? Why do we accept this behavior and continue a relationship with them as if nothing untoward had happened?

Lastly, where are all you folks that are so good at criticizing US actions AFTER THE FACT?

Aren't you going to tell us your foolproof method of handling this one now?  

Mk10 225th

EP-3 in China
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »
Why even deal with people that have a history of, in your own words, "3,000 years of insanity"?
Trade? Just say "no."

Over the course of the next 10 years let's just slowly withdraw from trade with crazy, petty warlords.

I'm sure there are other areas in the world where people would love to be making cheap CD players, GI Joe figures, flip-flop sandals and thin cotton T-shirts for the US market.

It would take some time. 10 years too long? Not long enough? Where's that "Chinese view" I'm always hearing about?

Not a bad idea.  Unfortunately, Big Business would not want any part of the cost of relocating their businesses and offices, and would "just say no" to any ideas like that.

Lionel Trains LLC is the latest to close down its US-based manufacturing, and throw their hat into the Chinese ring.

But Toad, seriously, I wouldn't have anything bad to say about exploring options.  I just think that unfortunately, it would be US businessmen that in the end quashed that effort.

Why do we pretend "insane petty warlords" are "normal" parts of world society? Why do we accept this behavior and continue a relationship with them as if nothing untoward had happened?

Well, because, unfortunately, that type of behaviour is prevelent in our world.  I'm not saying it's good, it's right, or that it is something that should be applauded or condoned.

But realizing that reality is reality is the first step to winning.

Lastly, where are all you folks that are so good at criticizing US actions AFTER THE FACT?

Aren't you going to tell us your foolproof method of handling this one now?

I don't know if this was directed at me personally, but for a change, I'm going to try and come up with ideas, thoughts for moving forward, and try and leave the infighting and back-stabbing that has been going on by both sides for the last 8 years behind me.

I'd love to see us start weaning our dependence on Chinese manufacturing.  But the main opposition would be the people who are backing our president the most vociferously.

I really think our feelings on how the Chinese are handling this incident are the exact same.  The difference begins when we discuss how to deal with it.

I don't think wagging our finger at them in front of the cameras and threatening to turn their country into glass is necessarily the best way to handle this situation, that's all.

Well, I just noticed my portfolio dropped another 4% today.  My retirement is now about the size of what is required to buy a Kia station wagon.  Guess I'll go turn on the news networks and see what the hell is going on.

Mk