Author Topic: The new world :)  (Read 1478 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
The new world :)
« on: April 02, 2001, 07:08:00 AM »
Imagine a world where babies are genetically engineered not only to have desireable physical attributes, but also superior intelligence and whatnot. Further imagine that somehow, a way is found to make them content with the status quo.

I read the Unabombers manifesto, and despite him being a looney, he actually makes several points that are worth debating (let's separate his acts from his writing for this discussion).

At any rate, it could scientifically be argued that the new breed is superior to us "naturals". The implications of this are of course quite enormous.

We gotta stockpile weapons now guys.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
hey Santa, seen the movie: GATTACA ?
"The world of Gattaca is totalitarian, really.
Genetic engineering makes people better,
more beautiful, more intelligent, more desirable,
but what price are we paying for it?"

its worth seeing it.

Gh0stFT

The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2001, 08:49:00 AM »
I'll have one who does the dishes and homechores & another one to go work on my behalf... do you accept Visa ?  

Saw
[Mass]

PS: Can I have the "Chores guy" look like Santa ?
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
Quote:

"let's separate his acts from his writing "

Where have i heard this before?

Quote:

"Imagine a world where babies are genetically engineered not only to have desireable physical attributes, but also superior intelligence and whatnot"

Not going to hold my breath for this.  However the Nazis, and other subscribers to Eugenics/Master Race ideologies, have already imagined and attempted to implement this crack-brained idea.

Cabby

Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
"Brave New World"
 http://www.huxley.net/bnw/

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2001, 09:56:00 AM »
Cabby, I think his views on leftism is just about equal to yours.
 http://www.panix.com/~clays/Una/una1.html#section1

part about leftism.

Also, DON'T QUOTE ME OUT OF CONTEXT.

I said "(let's separate his acts from his writing for this discussion).

I.e debate the text.

Ya open yer mouth before ya know what yer talking about   .

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 04-02-2001).]

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2001, 10:53:00 AM »
StSanta:

I don't separate a man's actions from his writings/beliefs for ANY reason.  And i don't think this subject is humorous.  Too many Josef Mengele wanna-be's in this world to fool around with postulating a genetic-egineered Master Race.

As for the UnaBomber's blather, i'm not interested in reading that freak's "thoughts" about anything.  Any more than i am interested in what McVeigh has to say.

BTW, i think the UnaBomber should have been executed a long time ago.  With a rope...

Cabby

[This message has been edited by cabby (edited 04-02-2001).]
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2001, 12:19:00 PM »

Originally posted by cabby:
... i'm not interested in reading that freak's "thoughts" about anything.  Any more than i am interested in what McVeigh has to say...

That is how they missed Hitler - nobody bothered to read Mein Kampf out of best intentions, no doubt.

If you refuse knowlege, whatever you get you deserve.

miko

Offline Qnm

• Copper Member
      • http://no-such.net/WORK
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
1/2o/t: http://clonejesus.com

------------------

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »

Originally posted by Qnm:
1/2o/t: http://clonejesus.com

I only got one thing to say about that: Crazy bellybutton wierdos.
-SW

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
Lets discuss our first moon colony, we're a lot closer to that.

Offline tofri

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tofri.de
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2001, 04:02:00 PM »
The main problem is,  that nobody knows for sure what is superior intelligence. The mind of Albert Schweitzer, the intellect of Hawking or the cleverness of Al Capone.

Nowbody knows what are desireable physical attributes. In the States there would be thousands of little Elvis Presley or worse Marilyn Mansons.

Even the medical argument is not very sharp, when you have to explain what health is.

I am hopefully that evolution (Sorry Cabby   ) will give us the best chances to enhance the abilities of mankind.

I am not for banning research but I do not see any reasonable results at the moment.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2001, 05:19:00 PM »
Cabby, are you incapable of treating a text just as a text and analysing it based on that?

It's what being objective is about. Someone might be a horrible person, but still produce products that are of astonishing qualities. Following your logic, these products would not be of astonishing quality. I do not believe that is correct. Germany produced some good weapons during WWII, despite the horrible regime. And, objectively, analysing just the weapon, they'd be good. Taking into the account the regime using them, they'd be of incredibly poor quality.

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

ICEWIND

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
Genetic engineering a very interesting dilemma.

In my opinion one aspect of genetic engineering is that it will destroy old Racial ideas and bring up new ones.
Some very interesting scenarios can evolve out of this.
Genetic engineering will be a heavy blow for the traditional Racist no mater what Race. It what will not matter anymore who your Ancestors where. The only thing that will count  in the near future is that you
have to poses certain engineered genes that are some what (superior) to normal peoples genes. It will not be of interest anymore to which Race you belong, the only thing that counts is the possession of certain Genes.
For instance if a Negroid Person wants his Son  to have a certain Nordic-European gene that is some how Superior to his own Genes than he will simply implement it in his Son. Of course the same scenario counts for any (superior) Genes of any Race. Your Racial heritage will not be of any importance anymore.

I have often thought about the subject of recreating historical Personalities, it would be somehow interesting, but in the end effect perverted. But believe me some one will do it anyway sooner or later.
A interesting point about Genetic engineered  is bringing back recently extinct animals, were Man and a combination of Climate changes has played a role.

I want back:
PANTHER LEO SPELAEA(clearly Man, still lived 2000 years ago in the Balkan, the biggest CAT ever)
HOMOTHERIUM
URSUS SPELAEUS
COELODONTA
MASTODONTIDAE
ARCTODUS-SIMUS

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2001, 07:46:00 PM »
Gene-neering might improve the current attributes of people. A populace that is stronger, faster, more intelligent, organ efficiency improved, resistant to disease, etc.

What is not good is that it might be used as an elitist tool.

If someone told me my kids would be cancer-free, resistant to diseases, live a long life and not have any deformities or genetic problems, hell yeah, i'd go ahead with it. But I sure as heck wont even think about creating a mold of the child's looks and personalities, i'd like a kid, not a pet.