Author Topic: Great Kiwi Hero Killed  (Read 522 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Great Kiwi Hero Killed
« on: December 06, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
Dunno if you USA guys know about him, but over here he's a walking god  :(

Sir Peter Blake killed in Amazon
07 December 2001

BREAKING NEWS  

BRASILIA (Reuters): New Zealand America's Cup winner and adventurer Sir Peter Blake has been killed in a shooting in Amazonia, after a night-time attack by hooded, armed pirates.
Sir Peter, one of the most successful sailors in yachting history, was aboard his Seamaster boat with his crew on an expedition up the Amazon River when they were attacked by the pirates and he was shot dead, his sponsors, Omega, said.

He was 53 and is survived by his wife, Lady Pippa, and two children, Sara-Jane and James.

A statement from the expedition's organisers said: "The group of seven or eight armed and hooded intruders boarded Seamaster at approximately 10.15pm local time.

"Sir Peter was fatally shot and two other members of Seamaster's crew were injured, one with a gunshot wound across the back, the other with a blow to the face.

"Both injured men are back aboard Seamaster after receiving hospital treatment. The other seven Seamaster crew were badly shaken but unharmed."

Anne Lise Windmill, first-secretary at New Zealand's embassy in Brazil, said the embassy was working with police to establish the facts of the incident.

A spokeswoman at Brazil's federal police headquarters in the capital added: "The police are investigating, we have some leads. His death is confirmed. The boat was in the river when it was boarded, it was a pirate attack. There were going to rob him."

ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS

Sir Peter, who was knighted by Queen Elizabeth, won yachting's most high-profile trophy - the America's Cup - in 1995 and 2000 with Team New Zealand.

He won the prestigious Whitbread Round the World Race in 1989 and captured the Jules Verne Trophy in 1994 with a record-breaking non-stop voyage.

The Kiwi was involved in the expedition to raise international awareness of the threatened environment.

New Zealand's Prime Minister Helen Clark travelled to the Amazon to visit his ship during a trip to Brazil last month.

"He was a New Zealand hero and everyone will feel a great sense of sadness at his death," Paul East, New Zealand's High Commissioner (ambassador) in London, told Reuters.

Chay Blyth, one of Britain's most accomplished yachtsmen, said Sir Peter would be "sorely missed" by everyone in sailing.

"It's incredible - really, very sad," said Blyth, whose promotions company Challenge Business organises the BT Challenge round-the-world yacht race. "He was a very quiet man, there was nothing flash about him and he achieved so much in sailing."

Sir Peter had kept a daily log on a website about his progress.

The log for Thursday read: "Location-Rio Amazonas. Status-Still motoring. Conditions-pleasant." He said in his log that the boat had been travelling down the Amazon at night.

"Dusk has turned the surface of the river into a greasy grey - with the sky quickly darkening after the sun's orange and golds have gone," he wrote.

"We always hope for a clear night and tonight the moon will be up soon after 9pm but this means two and a half hours of real blackness before then."

A meticulous planner and a gifted leader, Sir Peter's fierce determination to win always inspired immense loyalty from his crews and unlimited confidence from his backers.

The New Zealander was the only man to compete in the first five Whitbreads and his 1989-90 victory in Steinlager 2 came with an unprecedented clean sweep as his team walked off with line, handicap and overall honours on each of the race's six legs.

He was also chosen to succeed the late Jacques Cousteau as captain of the marine research vessel Calypso 2.

In his Seamaster log, he wrote on Thursday: "Again I raise the question - Why are we here?"

Later he answered the question: "We want to make a difference."

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Great Kiwi Hero Killed
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
it was a great guys   :(

<S>

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: straffo ]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Great Kiwi Hero Killed
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
The guy was in all regards our greatest hero and most impalacable nemisis. On a Yacht Racing course, he was to be feared and revered. When he took the Cup again in 2000 I cheered him... he was pure class, and an awsome skipper. No Yachtsman, regardless of county could not look upon his presence with anything less than respect and awe.

He will be missed... there is no other like him.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Great Kiwi Hero Killed
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2001, 01:43:00 AM »
Bummer  :(

We were only 2 to react ??

I know he was not a Indy pilot but he was one  if not THE GREAT sailor in the world.
when I think of Sir Peter Blake I think to at some great figure of french yachting like Eric Tabarly or Alain colas ...

<S> Again sir you will be missed

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Great Kiwi Hero Killed
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2001, 02:14:00 AM »
I gotta admit I never heard of him.  I thought the actor who played "Columbo" had died when I first heard about it.  But reading about him he seems like a hell of a guy.  Damn shame.  :(

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Great Kiwi Hero Killed
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2001, 04:56:00 PM »
Sailing a small boat on a large ocean is an experience very very few people in this age can apperciate. At one time the accomplishments of people such as these were commonplace. After a time they became merely noteworthy, but without common understanding of the hardships and challenges of such an enterprise they usually become lost in the noise of technology and time.

We have as a race in many ways conquered nature, tamed the sea and continue to advance our markers on and over the face of this planet..

..but no man who has made a long passage across a great ocean in a small boat under sail cannot help but remark on the courage and determination on those who have passed that way before; or fail to lament the loss of one of those few that have succeeded so well in keeping the true art of sailing alive.

<S!> Sir Peter. May the gods greet you and keep you as one of their own.

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: Hangtime ]
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
Great Kiwi Hero Killed
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2001, 10:12:00 PM »
I read in the newspaper today that the pirates had been captured. They killed him just for his watch, his binoculars, and the boat engine. Such a great human life lost for such a low price...