Author Topic: Wanna know why I skydive?  (Read 653 times)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
Wanna know why I skydive?
« on: August 11, 2005, 04:28:23 PM »
Not safe for work if you're a clergyman...

Go to google, select pictures, type in 'skydive', hit OK, look at 1st pic.

Nuff said.

I'm still waiting for my first dock of this kind tho...
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 05:57:36 PM »
You have nice breasts.

eskimo

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 06:06:45 PM »
Skydiving seems neat, but this is part of why I do NOT skydive.  Can anyone tell what's wrong with this movie clip I took last week?

http://hallert.net/misc/n9085g-fast-taxi.avi
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 06:10:07 PM »
Still think its madness to jump out of a perfectly servicable aircraft! Parachuting is an escape method only for me thanks! ;) :lol

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 06:50:50 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Skydiving seems neat, but this is part of why I do NOT skydive.  Can anyone tell what's wrong with this movie clip I took last week?

http://hallert.net/misc/n9085g-fast-taxi.avi

Was he taking off on the taxiway?

eskimo

Offline Heretic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 08:11:47 PM »
Skydancer,

I'm ex 82nd airborne.    Is it madness to step out of a perfectly functioning aircraft?   Answer is YES!      But, then again when you are young,dumb, and impressionable, anything to get that adrenalin rush is madness.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 09:12:36 PM »
I remember seeing on the news part of a video that was shot by a ...former skydiver.
It was his first time shooting video while skydiving and you could tell he was all exited and happy about it while discribing what he was seeing on the way down.

Right up to the part where he said and I quote "oh no"
that was when he realised he forgot to put his chute on.

Needless to say that is where the news station stopped showing the film.
Im sure he probably had alot more interesting things he also said. before they had to clean up his body with a ink blotter.

LOL you keep jumping out of aircraft and have fun. I'll just stay right down here on terra firma and enjoy the veiw from below.
Right up to the point where I get to cringe say "ewwwe OH MAN!"

Who knows. I might even make a couple bucks selling the local coroners a couple mops and some plastic baggies LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 10:43:15 PM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
Still think its madness to jump out of a perfectly servicable aircraft! Parachuting is an escape method only for me thanks! ;) :lol

I bet statisticaly speaking, sky diving is safer then riding a crotch rocket in trafic. (or a car for that mater)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 11:32:57 PM »
Speaking of... anyone hear from Santa lately?
sand

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 08:18:13 AM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Was he taking off on the taxiway?

eskimo
Almost looked like it, didn't it?  He was taxiing, and at quite a clip.  Some of these guys dive straight into the pattern at like 4000 fpm too, and I've seen the jump plane on short final when its jumpers are landing, and this is from a 12,000 foot jump altitutde.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 08:30:45 AM »
Yep, that's typical in some makes of airplane. Here in Ampuriabrava they use Pilatus and they just go vertical down after the drop.

Quite impressive to look at, but from what I've heard, lots of pilots with ear damage due to the rapid change of alt.

Daniel

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 08:34:06 AM »
Sandman,

I think that he's doing fine. I believe that he is in Russia at the moment (skydiving of course). I don't exchange mails with him but I keep an eye on his dropzone's website and there are recent pics of him in the gallery.

GtoRA2, the risk is indeed about the same as riding a bike in traffic. Of course, if you ride or jump conservatively, you have less chances to have an accident than if you act aggressively (driving at high speed or making high performance landings). However, I honestly don't think that skydiving is safer than driving a car. Like scuba diving, the dangers are very real and you have to approach the sport with respect. Like a popular GoFast T-shirt claims, "You'll be fine as long as you don't do anything stupid" ;)

Drediock I'm not calling you a liar but this is a pure BS story. You can't talk during free fall (well you can but the 120 mph wind makes it totally unintelligible) and this video is most certainly fake. There is a lot of urban legends going on about a videoman forgetting to put on his rig before jumping. I believe that all those originate from a true incident which happened in the early 80s in the UK: an experienced jumper was videoing tandems after a night of work. He was seriously tired and, at the end of the day, forgot indeed to put on his rig. This fact was unnoticed by all during the climb to alt because the videocams of those days were heavy and bulky and were strapped on a special harness (now they are mostly fixed on a helmet) and this harness made the absence of rig less noticeable.
The poor guy jumped to his doom without realizing it. A terrible detail is that the tandem master immediately noticed what was wrong when his buddy flew in front of him to video the fall of the tandem pair. He explained later that he had to act like nothing special was happening because trying to grab his friend during the opening would have greatly endangered the tandem passenger... Talk about a hell of a choice...
AFAIK, the tape was studied by the police and then kept by his friends who never made it public.

Chairboy, it seems that the pilot was in a hell of a hurry ;). I have the chance to sump at a DZ which is a bit of a tandem factory. It has disadvantages but OTOH the planes are big and require higher ratings for the pilots (i.e. single and multi-turbines). No hotheads inexperienced cessna pilots here. Most are professional and don't take risks.
BTW, if you want to fly for free I recommend you to pass the rating to be able to drop skydivers. It will pay your flying hours and skydivers are generally a fun bunch of people.
Thanks for your posts about your progression as a pilot, BTW. I really enjoy to read them and love your tongue-in-cheek humor.

Stay safe and have fun
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 08:42:47 AM »
skyprancer... maybe you can vote to get it banned?

lazs

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 08:45:24 AM »
Originally posted by SEgunner
Skydancer,

I'm ex 82nd airborne.    Is it madness to step out of a perfectly functioning aircraft?   Answer is YES!      But, then again when you are young,dumb, and impressionable, anything to get that adrenalin rush is madness.

My Dad was in Airborne (187th Abn, RCT, Korea). When I was little I asked him if he had the time and the money to do whatever he wanted would he take up skydiving (he was around late 30s at this time). He said "Are you crazy. I wouldn't do that again for anything."  I said "But you did it in the Army." His reply: "Yeah, but I was only 19 at the time!"

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 12:38:29 PM »
Sheesh do you guys take everything I say seriously! You haven't before why start now! :lol :lol

Lazs are you trying to bring guns into it again ( stifling a yawn ) ;)