Author Topic: Ostwind Deflection Aiming explained  (Read 7795 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Ostwind Deflection Aiming explained
« on: August 12, 2005, 11:48:38 AM »
***By popular demand I moved this guide I posted from the General Forums section to the Help section so as to be more easily located. If you wish to see the entire thread search General Forums Author: Zazen13, Title: Aiming in an Ostwind: An End to Vulching...***

Aiming In an Ostwind

Ok, here it is, by popular demand, the key, the secret, the way to consistantly kill at high deflection in an Ostwind. I post this for one reason and one reason only. To make vulching, which is just spawn camping planes with planes, as unpleasant an experience as possible and totally non-viable as a method to pad fighter scores.

Firstly, there's a couple of things to note, always park your Ostwind on concrete somewhere. Secondly, always have your clipboard open and your mouse cursor on the Tower button so you can end mission quickly if you hear ordnance about to plop on your head. Thirdly, learn where to park your Ostwind, in AH2 there's two main places to park it, near the Fighter Hangers, but not too near and near the tower on a small field or near the nexus of runways at a medium or large field for vulcher slaying. In some situations you may not want to park at all, such as when there are no friendly aircraft to amuse the vulchers, in this situation go up and down the runways in 5th gear maintaining a straight line path to make compensating for your own movement as easy as possible.

As far as aiming goes, the core principle is rather simple, some may have already heard me state it. Always fire fully zoomed in. While fully zoomed in a target travelling roughly parallel or perpendicular to the ground at a range of 1k will be hit if kept exactly at the edge of your screen. Therefore a target 500 away should be kept halfway from the edge of your screen to your crosshair. This is the basis for all shots. Now shots off angle you must judge by the aircraft's attitude, speed and size as to how much extra or less to lead it relative to the base amount, always leading in the direction of the target plane's nose. Always lead your target slightly more than you think you should and slightly above to allow for shell drop, and keep your turret swivel motion as smooth and fluid as possible. On large targets and slower than average targets lead a little less, on small and fast targets lead a little more.

Another thing to realize, while an Ostwind shell can technically kill at distances approaching 3k, never ever fire over 1.5k for one simple reason. The smoothing code or whatever, does an adjustment at 1.5k, you will notice a small burp or hiccup in the planes position, so at distances over 1.5k you are not actually seeing the plane where it really is. You'll notice this effect on bombers, it is espeically pronounced with the drones in a formation. I almost never shoot beyond 1.2k on anything that isn't just coming directly at or away from me. The 1k distance is really where you want to be firing, it's the key to accurate deflection shooting in the Ostwind.

To sum this up really simply:

1k away = target at the edge of your visible screen.
750 away = target is 3/4s of the distance from crosshair to edge.
500 away = halfway from your crosshair to the edge of screen.
250 = 1/4 the distance from your crosshair to the edge.

This only works if you are Fully Zoomed in! (of course you do your scanning un-zoomed) I also recommend being fully Page-Up'd by default.

Hope this helps! Death to vulchers!

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 04:15:27 PM »
"1k away = target at the edge of your visible screen.
250 = 1/4 the distance from your crosshair to the edge. "

Hmm, doesn't this depend on your resolution?
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 04:24:52 PM »
Originally posted by Messiah
"1k away = target at the edge of your visible screen.
250 = 1/4 the distance from your crosshair to the edge. "

Hmm, doesn't this depend on your resolution?

I've tried it at everything from 800X600 to 1600X1200 on a 17" screen to a 21" screen it works the same. If there is any difference it's so small as to be within the shell's trajectory margin of variability and irrelevant.

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 04:27:54 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline psob2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 09:08:46 AM »
thanks for reposting this.
normally i cant hit planes from an osti unless they are coming straight at me, i'll have to give your leads a try.
psob2, psob3, now BTPsob2

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
I've tried it at everything from 800X600 to 1600X1200 on a 17" screen to a 21" screen it works the same. If there is any difference it's so small as to be within the shell's trajectory margin of variability and irrelevant.

Zazen
Thank you sir I was always inconsistent with the Osti good and bad days will give a try!
Uber

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the tip. :aok

You have picked me off vulching quite a few times LOL

Now for another situation:

The plane has just buzzed over you and is heading away from you.  How do you aim?  You have hit me like that several times.  I never can seem to hit a plane flying directly away from me, yet it seems like it should be an easy shot.

And also head-ons, I only hit maybe 10% of those diving at me head on

Help would be appreciated :)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 01:25:48 AM »
Originally posted by AKFokerFoder+
Thanks for the tip. :aok

You have picked me off vulching quite a few times LOL

Now for another situation:

The plane has just buzzed over you and is heading away from you.  How do you aim?  You have hit me like that several times.  I never can seem to hit a plane flying directly away from me, yet it seems like it should be an easy shot.

And also head-ons, I only hit maybe 10% of those diving at me head on

Help would be appreciated :)

One thing to realize when shooting, there is a fairly large 'spread'. The key to hitting any target, but especially those heading generally toward and away from you is to lead their nose not where the plane appears to be. This is especially true on planes heading away from you as your shell takes quite some time to get there relatively speaking. So, in your example where he just flew over you and is heading away if he is shallow diving to deck lead below him, but if he's shallow climbing lead above him. You judge by how much by watching his nose attitude and the distance, the further away the more lead to compensate for the shell drop.

Zazen

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 08:33:06 AM »
Zazen could you possibly post a film of your Osti magic?

DmdMax

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 08:42:47 AM »
Good info.

Thanks Zazen :)

RTR
The Damned

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 05:05:07 PM »
Originally posted by DMax
Zazen could you possibly post a film of your Osti magic?

DmdMax

I would love to see some of your films.

It is like the devil himself is at the field when Zazen is gunning in an Osty.  You should hear the guys talking on our side :)

You are definately a legend in your own time :aok

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
One thing to realize when shooting, there is a fairly large 'spread'. The key to hitting any target, but especially those heading generally toward and away from you is to lead their nose not where the plane appears to be. This is especially true on planes heading away from you as your shell takes quite some time to get there relatively speaking. So, in your example where he just flew over you and is heading away if he is shallow diving to deck lead below him, but if he's shallow climbing lead above him. You judge by how much by watching his nose attitude and the distance, the further away the more lead to compensate for the shell drop.

Zazen

So when he is diving on you, about how much below the plane do you lead at the following ranges:  (use diameter of the planes cowl)

TY :)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 05:52:44 PM »
i have tried this method when it was posted last time and i find it extremely acurate.

starting in the possition (1k-edgescreen) and then working from the tracers to judge the exact lead will get even a poor flak gunner like myself a kill within 15-20 rounds max if you have a reasonable judge of lead anyhow.

anything putting an end to mass vulching as a method not a sport (it can be fun in the right moments, i dont mind being vulched in an il2 to a few fighters) can't be bad.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline LTARaptr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 04:57:43 AM »
Well all I can say is I do all that and the last tour I believe our scores were very very close. The only difference between you and I is .....I don't tower out that's cowardly and shows lack of character and that you have no honor:rolleyes: so you enjoy all your kills knowing yes I died alot more because I didn't tower out.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 08:44:01 AM »
Originally posted by LTARaptr
Well all I can say is I do all that and the last tour I believe our scores were very very close. The only difference between you and I is .....I don't tower out that's cowardly and shows lack of character and that you have no honor:rolleyes: so you enjoy all your kills knowing yes I died alot more because I didn't tower out.

Zazen takes the time to offer some help and you resply with this chest pounding? Shame on you

DmdMax

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 09:30:49 AM »
Originally posted by mechanic

starting in the possition (1k-edgescreen) and then working from the tracers to judge the exact lead

I generally can't see my own tracers against the blue sky and clouds. Just everybody elses. :furious

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs