Author Topic: Small Plane crash in Colorado  (Read 285 times)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Small Plane crash in Colorado
« on: August 13, 2005, 11:16:16 PM »
http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_225231511.html

A plane crash south of Lincoln Avenue near I-25 killed at least three people. Rescue crews are looking for a fourth person. Witnesses reported seeing a fireball just after the crash. The South Metro Fire Department is on scene. More details as they become available.

News said others have crashed at Centennial Airport, not sure why though, possibly the highway in front of the runways?  Airport is 5-10 miles from my house.  Just thought i'd share with you all.  :(
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 05:09:41 AM »
Somehow I imagined it would be a twin... I was right  :(

Engine failure in a lo-flying fully loaded piston twin... gives me the creeps.

Daniel

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 12:04:31 AM »
Yep, twin engine.  Was the owner of some manufacturing company here, power lines in the area might have been the cause but not likely.  Get this, people are not scared about living by the airport, its like moving a few hundred feet away from an international airport and complaining about noise pollution, IT WAS THERE WHEN YOU MOVED THERE.  

Realtor:"What? That plane?  I don't know where that plane is going"

Buyer:"Is that noise always there?"

Realtor:"Ummm no, let's sign the papers!"

This is the 4th accident since December by the way.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 12:06:32 AM »
high altitude and thin air.. yeah, fully loaded plane with eng failure is about the worst possible thing that could happen..:(

those cessna 425s are exactly what they use here on Cape Cod for commercial flights to boston, pvd, nantucket and the vineyard.. never had probs with em cept for a bracing issue they had to address this past year...
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 12:12:18 AM »
Yep, my grandfather died the same way.  Low flying twin, was overloaded and had either an engine failure or hit hard turbulence.

Always tough to hear of crashes. :(

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 04:35:40 AM »
I've flown out of Centennial, in a C182RG and also a PA28-180. The FBO there did not bother with any PA28 under 180hp. I recall that the only time I had the mixture to full rich was when priming/starting. For taxi and take off, the best mixture was with the control about half way. I wonder if there have been any "rich cut" engine failures at Centennial. There was one at Leadville that I was told about - 2 guys in a Mooney, with an alleged cavalier attitude to flying, took off full rich, leaving a trail of black smoke - crashed shortly after take off.

As for overloading a plane, why do it? The POH gives explicit details about the load limits of the aircraft - why do some people think they can push their luck by 50-100lb?

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 03:13:06 PM »
Cause the extra keg may save their lives? Looked like someone dropped off a bunch of twisted metal on the news the other day, nothing that even looked like an aircraft, except maybe the paint and numbers.  I think the pilot may have been reporting some sort of malfunction according to the news.  No word on the black boxes yet.