Author Topic: I'd like an old "Before AH1" Beta arena  (Read 791 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
I'd like an old "Before AH1" Beta arena
« on: August 13, 2005, 11:35:21 PM »
I'd like an arena using the map from the first AH Beta. All planes enabled, no GV's, no ships.

The old simplified field capture. Fine with me if the arena just uses the famous "land and exit on the enemy runway" to capture a field.

Thanks.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 08:12:42 AM »
The problem is, every change takes recoding, and if it's different from other versions of the game, they'd have to run a seperate server. The recoding would take time, and not be worth it at all.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 08:16:25 AM »
I think it'd be worth it.  

I enjoyed the old style field layouts with the maproom on the field.  Mass goon drops could get a capture with full ack.  Or a chog + goon would easily do the trick as well.

That most likely requires no coding changes, just a new map with older base layouts.  Toad, post in the Terrain Editor forum and commission an old school AH map. :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 10:59:36 AM »
I rolled my eyes and then said. hmmmmm
hmm
But I would say.
Only the old planes enabled.(or maybe sets of 6 planes that have ballance)
No manned ack.
No strat.
No vehicles.
Maybe the old map concept but with rolling hills terrain. Or did you mean exaclty that map?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 11:38:30 AM »
Good point. I hadn't really thought about all the new planes that have come since beta. Allowing all of those would be a mistake. Certainly the jet and rocket would be a negative.

So yah, I think you have a good point. Either just go with the original limited plane set..... there was no lack of fun or good fights with that... or have one of the rational minds select 3-4 small more or less "matched" plane sets that would rotate, perhaps daily.

I think we could use that exact map; there was a certain atmosphere to crossing the ridge line and entering "Injun country" that I find lacking in the new maps that have no definitive proprietary boundaries.

It wouldn't hurt to put a bit of rolling terrain into it though. Not the real deep canyons but some ridges, hills and canyons that provide another aspect to the low vertical fights.

Good suggestions.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!