Author Topic: People who have just switched countries should not be allowed to control cv  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
People who have just switched countries should not be allowed to control cv
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 07:25:40 PM »
Your quote was not regarding the Operation I refered to.  Regardless...
The CLEANSLATE Amphibious Force, under Turner, had no large warships, transports, or cargo ships. It consisted of four destroyers, four destroyer-transports, five high-speed minesweepers, twelve tank landing craft, a number of smaller landing craft, a 1,000-ton barge, and the Russells Occupation Force. The transports would be protected by eight motor torpedo boats, an integral part of the Amphibious Force, as well as by the South Pacific air and naval forces.

Now if you were paying attention to the article before you proceeded to lecture on varieties of Naval craft, you may have noticed that the landing craft were towed to the objective and cut loose.  Your argument was that they cant be launched without a cruiser and carrier in the task force, and my example says "Why not?"

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 07:45:45 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr

Now if you were paying attention to the article before you proceeded to lecture on varieties of Naval craft, you may have noticed that the landing craft were towed to the objective and cut loose.  Your argument was that they cant be launched without a cruiser and carrier in the task force, and my example says "Why not?"

I know they were towed, I addressed that. If they are towed we should be able to shoot them prior to their deployment, each destroyer only towed 1 or 2 in that oepration. Launching something implies they are held internally and ejected from the ship, destroyers cannot do this only Capital ships (Battleships, Cruisers, CV's). Of the ships we have modelled in AH, only the Cruiser and the CV are capable of 'launching' any type of LVT. If the CV and Cruiser are down there should be no supplies, troops, LVT's or PT boats available to the task force for deployment until it respawns with its Capital ships again.

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 09:02:16 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 07:46:11 PM »

Not to add to a wonderful flame war, but wouldn't towed LCs be very vulnerable to air attack? Much more than a CA or CV already is?
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 07:46:35 PM »
Originally posted by Tails
Not to add to a wonderful flame war, but wouldn't towed LCs be very vulnerable to air attack? Much more than a CA or CV already is?

Yes, that is exactly my point.

Zazen

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 08:50:43 PM »
That's a bit harsh and don't think that's fair. Certain people like to switch sides to try and even out numbers (ty to them) and I think this would really discourage them.

Originally posted by G0ALY
How about… When you switch countries, you loose your rank…?

You should not loose your perks like you do when you change game Ids, just rank. If you’re good, and stay in your new country, you’ll get your rank back soon enough.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 09:21:51 PM »
We should also be able to shoot the planes avalible to fly that are parked at the airfield, and be able to shoot unoccupied naval birds parked on the flat top, and there needs to be a finite number of planes avalible from the CV too according to your logic.

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 09:22:34 PM »
Originally posted by KTM520guy
People who go to the least populated country usually hang around for awhile. What actually happens the most is people on the losing side jump to the winning side right before the reset just to get the perk points. That is not very honorable. If your country is taking it in the shorts you should stick your head up and fight to the end. You can try to win the next one.

There will always be spies but we should at least make it just a little difficult for them. This idea will also make the recent CV incident a little harder to pull off. Not impossible. If someone wishes to jump sides to change the outcome the game, then a high price should be paid.

As always, just my .02
:)

At one point wasn't there a time limit of some sort on getting perks for a reset? Along the lines of having to have been a part of that country for 12 hours or something like that? I seem to recall that. If that's been removed, I vote it gets put back because you're exactly right, populations swings TO the country that is winning for perk harvesting is just all bad.

I didn't know about the guy switching sides and using high rank to suicide a CV. That's pretty nasty. The OP starts to make more sense now. Mind you, I'd go about it a different way....ban the guys account, and cc's associated with it, and keep the individuals name black listed for all eternity. Players like that are better booted out the door. :)
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 09:48:42 PM »
Damaged Task Groups should not spawn LVT's, and especially should not spawn unlimited LVT's with unlimited supplies or troops. In fact, damaged Task Groups shouldn't spawn ANYTHING.

Further, destroyed ports shouldn't spawn Task Groups.

Nevermind the fact that LVT's shouldn't spawn on land, they should spawn right next to the ships they spawn from.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 09:50:12 PM »
Originally posted by Vortex
At one point wasn't there a time limit of some sort on getting perks for a reset? Along the lines of having to have been a part of that country for 12 hours or something like that? I seem to recall that. If that's been removed, I vote it gets put back because you're exactly right, populations swings TO the country that is winning for perk harvesting is just all bad.

As far as I know, the 12 hour reset-perk timer still exsists. But, sometimes one can find a battle going so badly that they have 12 hours of notice to change sides and cash in.

Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts

Nevermind the fact that LVT's shouldn't spawn on land, they should spawn right next to the ships they spawn from.

That would cause LVTs to nolonger be used in base capture.

Now, having them spawn on land, I think, is a bug. but having them spawn a sane distance from land is a good thing. Otherwise you're gonna be dog-paddling for some 3 miles at 5 knots to get to shore from the boat that spawned you.

Now, maybe they could look at the spawning routine for the LVT to make sure it does not spawn on land?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 09:52:15 PM by Tails »
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 10:41:31 PM »
Damaged Task Groups should not spawn LVT's, and especially should not spawn unlimited LVT's with unlimited supplies or troops. In fact, damaged Task Groups shouldn't spawn ANYTHING.

Further, destroyed ports shouldn't spawn Task Groups.

Exactly, this is the core of the issue. This is what needs to be fixed.

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 11:01:33 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 10:44:36 PM »
We should also be able to shoot the planes avalible to fly that are parked at the airfield, and be able to shoot unoccupied naval birds parked on the flat top, and there needs to be a finite number of planes avalible from the CV too according to your logic.

Destroyers did not tow LVT's in normal circumstances. They only did it in this limited context because it was a very small trip and not over open seas. It was a creative and isolated occurence to solve a peculiar and unique problem of logistics, to use that as an excuse why a destroyed TG should be able to launch an infinite number of LVT and supplies in AH  is, in a word...weak.

Zazen

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 10:49:55 PM »
pot calling the kettle

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 10:55:58 PM »
Originally posted by Tails

[/I]

That would cause LVTs to nolonger be used in base capture.

Now, having them spawn on land, I think, is a bug. but having them spawn a sane distance from land is a good thing. Otherwise you're gonna be dog-paddling for some 3 miles at 5 knots to get to shore from the boat that spawned you.

Now, maybe they could look at the spawning routine for the LVT to make sure it does not spawn on land?

Actually, no it wouldn't prevent LVT's from being used for base capture. It WOULD make it more difficult, and it would require the Task Group to be closer to the base, and therefore the base to be more completely capped.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 10:58:36 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
A Task force with no Carrier or Cruiser should not have any supplies and should not be able to re-supply a port by launching lvt's (or PT's for that matter) ad nauseum. The last time I checked destroyers couldn't launch these vehicles.

Technically, neither can a Cruiser or Carrier. What we need are 2 or 3 LSTs as part of the task force. Sink them and no troops. To prevent the porkers from having a party, respawn them after 15 minutes. Oh, and increase the number of manned 5" turrets to four on the CV and Cruiser to offer additional protection for the LSTs. According my 1945 Janes, the USN had several types of landing ships, all armed with two 5"guns and 8 40mm bofors in four dual mounts.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2005, 10:59:01 PM »

[/I]

Actually, no it wouldn't prevent LVT's from being used for base capture. It WOULD make it more difficult, and it would require the Task Group to be closer to the base, and therefore the base to be more completely capped.

That's an excellent idea. Puts more emphasis on air combat and make things more realistic.