Author Topic: Naval Resupply Fleet  (Read 915 times)

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
Naval Resupply Fleet
« on: August 16, 2005, 03:39:08 AM »
I would like to see a fleet of a few ships used to resupply the existing CV fleets as well as costal bases. The resupply fleet could be operated in the same manner as the existing carrier groups and could be defended by a destroyer or two and could have the ability to launch Hurri-Cats. The resupply fleets ability to resupply CV's and costal bases could be dependant on the availibility supplies at the port it spawned from.

Offline BBinder

• Zinc Member
Naval Resupply Fleet
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 05:14:40 AM »
be better if the supply ship could be controlled in the same manner as the PT boat

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Naval Resupply Fleet
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 10:05:03 AM »
No Bad has a good point.

In WWII esp later built carriers had a good turn of speed.  The problem was the supply fleet, oilers, etc, tended to be slow, like 18 knots.

So Carrier captains had a choice to make, run fast, and risk being stuck someplace out of fuel till the tankers showed up.

Or run slow & keep your fuel supply's protected and your bunkers topped off regularly.

IMO all we really need to implement this is a speed control for the Carrier fleet.

Resupply ships would run the same waypoint, or try to follow the CV fleet.

It should also be able to rebuild the carrier somewhat faster.

Last, the game could use a lot more somewhat lightly defended maritime targets.

A couple of destroyers & 4 supply ships would fit that bill nicely!

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Naval Resupply Fleet
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:39:44 AM »
yes. great idea.

the supply "barges" near fields are not much of a target, and do not effect much....

i'd like to see convoys of multiple ships cruising around resupplying ports around the map.

also, i like the idea of the TG not going at flank speed all the time. i understand that by it moving slower it will take much longer to move across the map, but it would make torpedo's more realistic (as it is they can almost not catch the TG)
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
Naval Resupply Fleet
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 07:01:52 PM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
yes. great idea.

the supply "barges" near fields are not much of a target, and do not effect much....

i'd like to see convoys of multiple ships cruising around resupplying ports around the map.

also, i like the idea of the TG not going at flank speed all the time. i understand that by it moving slower it will take much longer to move across the map, but it would make torpedo's more realistic (as it is they can almost not catch the TG)

I'm not sure what the speed option would add to the game but merchant ships were an important target in WWII and I think that having to make the choice to pull back the CV for resupply to save the CV and risk not capturing a base might force some more strategic thinking in the use of Task Groups.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Naval Resupply Fleet
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 10:49:51 PM »
I tried landing a goon on a CV to resupply, it doesn't work. But that would seem a simple answer to resupplying a damaged CV.

Offline Gato

• Copper Member
      • http://catzman.blogspot.com
Naval Resupply Fleet
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 06:19:30 PM »
If we could control the speed of the TG, is could also help with the taking of ports/shore bases.  In WWII, they could and would almost park a TG off shore to help take a target.  With the TG always in flank, it makes it harder to keep it in place for the planes to take off and land because of the turning the fleet facture.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Naval Resupply Fleet
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »
A more simple idea would be for fleet supply ships to spawn near the fleet's home port periodically. Then move to the fleet to resupply (like the convoys do with airfields). These ships should be armed with light ack and I see no need for player control.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Naval Resupply Fleet
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 06:51:04 AM »
A slower average speed of CVs would make torpedos alot more of a viable option for attacking CVs as well.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Naval Resupply Fleet
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 08:47:13 AM »
Variable speed makes bombing the CV from 10k a lot tricker also.

Ship's lenght for every 10k of alt goes out the window if you don't know the carriers speed.

Last, if you were unable to launch planes at below 10 knots. It would also give you the ability to suspend flight ops.

Speed control would be a good thing all the way around.