Author Topic: P61 Black Widow  (Read 3388 times)

Offline jeb

• Zinc Member
P61 Black Widow
« on: August 20, 2005, 08:56:41 AM »
When y'all gonna add this plane to the list..?
"I think I felt It Move! Go ahead, touch it..you know you wanna."

Offline buzkill

• Nickel Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 08:59:37 AM »
Did it see action in WWII? if not there is no point in asking for it

Offline jeb

• Zinc Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 09:06:27 AM »
Yes, it was used in the Pacific and European  operation 1944
"I think I felt It Move! Go ahead, touch it..you know you wanna."

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »
Honestly, I would want it but there really is no reason to have it without night time.  It would make sense to have it if we still had nightime but thats not the case.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 01:03:15 PM »
Reading some articles in Wings (june 2005), quoting pilots who flew the thing and did field demonstrations for active fighter units which were then using other planes, there was enough special about the bird to warrant use in the daytime too.  Although designed as a night fighter, it was used in day operations as well == I remember a dramatic sequence in Ghost Soldiers when the infiltrating Rangers had a Black Widow do acrobatics and mimic strafing runs to keep Japanese prison guards looking up while the Rangers moved from cover the afternoon before their assault on Cabanatuan.

The Widow had full span double slotted flaps with spoilers for lateral control; that enabled it to do maneuvers like this one, described by test pilot John Myers:

It took about three minutes to perform and it made a lasting impression on every pilot that flew the demo with me... I utilized a very short take off roll which woudl compare with a much smaller aircraft. Then, wheels up quickly, sharp turn and back across the deck at redline 450mph. Followed by a loop and back down on the deck again (Immelman). As I came out of this maneuver, I feathered one engine on the way down to the deck, and then did two slow rolls off the deck INTO the dead engine! By this time, i was on approach, and touched down and taxied into the parking area after a very short roll...

With that kind of capability, 4xhispanos, and 4x50s -- I'd learn to fly it no matter where the sun shone!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 02:33:49 PM »
I want it because its my favorite plane. Enough said:D

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 02:52:16 PM »
4 foreward 20mm, plus 4 50's in a dorsal barbette (P-61B-15 and later), plus 4 hardpoints able to hold drop tanks or up to 1600lb bombs each (yes, FOUR 1600lbs bombs) (B-10 or B-5 and later, cant remember exactly)

Contrary to popular belief, the barbette was functional in the B-15 varient and later, after some of the aerodynamic problems were fixed. It covered the entire upper hemisphere of the aircraft, front to back, and 90 degrees up, directed by a gunner in front, or the radio opperator in back. The only restrictions to the barbette's aim was the two vertical stabilizers in back and the prop discs in front. It wouldn't depress enough to create a hazard of hitting the wings or horizontal stab.

For modelling how the barbette works, methinks they could make it a turret with guns but unmanable, and make the radio opperator (back gunner) and front gunner's positions manable, have the turret director sights, but no guns. Use the 'fire all guns' control to get the barbett to shoot. Now how they might make the barbett also fire forward under pilot control? No idea.

As mentioned, these things were used in the day as ground attackers and such. Note the big bombs they can carry mentioned above just for such a role.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 02:56:17 PM by Tails »
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 05:04:29 PM »
Originally posted by Sp4de
I want it because its my favorite plane. Enough said:D
:aok
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 08:32:14 PM »
my grandfather flew in one back in the war so they definately saw service.

Offline DropW

• Zinc Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 11:21:55 PM »
Its a wonderful plane and neat looking too. My first WWII aircraft model was a Black Widow. Count me in to learnin how to fly it;). -DropW

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 12:05:53 AM »
Originally posted by Hoarach
Honestly, I would want it but there really is no reason to have it without night time.  It would make sense to have it if we still had nightime but thats not the case.

Would love to see it. Hell I would love to make it my main ride.
It was occasionally used in day time.

Just as Lancs occasionally did low alt bombing runs. And probably more so then the low alt runs.

Also the majority of Lancaster runs were made at night.
so with that arguement. why not just get rid of lancs also since most of their runs were made at night?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline onions4u

• Zinc Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 12:21:41 AM »
A26 was used in wwII, 6 foward 50s, 16 rockets, 4 k internal bomb load and  u want firepower u could arm it with and additional 10 50s 2 twin pods on each wing plus 2 added to the nose about 355 mph. and pilot could lock top 50s turrent to fire foward so 18 foward firing 50s

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 05:04:53 AM »
I think the main problem with the p61 is that it had a lot of cool features that wouldn't be modeled in the game. That would cause never ending whinning that the p61 is porked this way and porked that way.

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 05:30:25 AM »
it would work if AH had the following features:

night time.

low dist. tags at night.

radar (increased dist. nightime tags) on radar-equipped planes

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 08:50:35 AM »
I'd use it without radar and night time. And like was mentioned earlier, we already have a 'night plane' without night time, so why not the black widow?
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)