Author Topic: Remove the canopy frames  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 03:15:14 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
How about a compromise and make it something that can be enabled or not by the user?

AWIII had something like this, and players abused it to make glass-bottom planes. Part of the decision to choose a particular aircraft has to be in what it offers for visablity.

You want the big cannons of the 190-A8, then deal with the lousy view. If you want to see all around, fly the P-51D, but you don't get the big guns.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 03:34:28 PM »
Fighter Ace had something similar. I think the body of the aircraft should obscure the view. Even with binocular vision, a blind lead turn is... well... blind.
sand

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 03:57:28 PM »
How about a compromise and make it something that can be enabled or not by the user?

Right, one player is going to turn on this "unfair advantage" while some other player does not? Like that's gonna happen.

Now be honest, why did you suggest this? Because you find it difficult to see around the canopy frames?

Learn to use the head movement functions like the rest if us.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 05:22:14 PM »
In other words, you want everyone to be disadvantaged for aesthetic reasons. :rolleyes:

As for enabling difficulty or not, people already do that with icons, stall limiters, combat trim, etc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 05:27:28 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 05:38:49 PM »
In other words, you want everyone to be disadvantaged for aesthetic reasons. :rolleyes:

As for enabling difficulty or not, people already do that with icons, stall limiters, combat trim, etc.

Man.... You want an open cockpit.... go fly a Stearman. I find the idea of "transparent" or removable cockpit frames to be so ridiculous as to be insullting. That's so gamey and lame I'm amazed anyone serious about AHII would even suggest it.
You've been playing for how long?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 06:38:19 PM »
Oh... your argument is realism?

:rolleyes:

I started flying AH on tour 8 (or maybe 6)... can't remember.
sand

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 07:32:13 PM »

and you're just now bringing this up?

good bait :)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 11:04:29 PM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
and you're just now bringing this up?

They asked. :)

I'm pretty sure I've said it before anyway.
sand

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 11:45:48 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
Right, one player is going to turn on this "unfair advantage" while some other player does not? Like that's gonna happen.

Now be honest, why did you suggest this? Because you find it difficult to see around the canopy frames?

Learn to use the head movement functions like the rest if us.

Why is it a trouble ?
You don't have  any trouble with player having a trackIR 3 ?

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 04:00:31 AM »
Track IR doesn't offer much of an advantage in AH Straffo. Been there done that tried it for a couple of weeks but decided against it. AH view system is great anyway and there is no need to TIR. I might try it again soon but doubt my ideas of it will change.

Thanks to the friendly/free view system in AH it is more of a personal preference that makes someone chose TIR over normal view system. Just like someone prefers one stick over another.

In other words, you want everyone to be disadvantaged for aesthetic reasons.       As for enabling difficulty or not, people already do that with icons, stall limiters, combat trim, etc.

Icons are enabled for everybody unless you yourself decide to turn it off. No advantages to be gained there.
Stall limiter limits your maximum angle of attack and thus gives you a disadvantage, not an advantage.

Combat trim does make aiming a bit easier but is bad in some planes. It kind of makes up for using the keys of the keyboard instead of real trim tabs in a real plane. Not sure of all the different trim tabs/rotaries etc used in WW2 fighters but the ones used in most planes today work far faster then the trim in AH. I often find that it takes too long for the trim to go from fully negative to fully possitive in AH. It's a minor issue though.

What would the "etc" be?

What would next step after removing cockpit bars be? Remove cockpit alltogether ala MS Combat sim?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 07:07:00 AM »

No....my argument is that it's wimpy and gamey. Maybe they can add an option to have the pilot wear a tu-tu as well. Or maybe set up an arena for people who don't want any cockpit art at all.

Ok.... well then, I guess I'll just have to assume we feel a "bit" differently about the game and I'll leave it at that.

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 07:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
Why is it a trouble ?
You don't have  any trouble with player having a trackIR 3 ?

Heh... for me the Trackir is more of a hinderance. Anyway... it just manages views... it doesn't add or subtract portions of them.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 07:54:56 AM »
Yeah I can't see how TrackIR would work real well because you're still limited to one static screen. VR goggles then again would be extremely attractive option which I'd like to see.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2005, 08:27:49 AM »

so you're not a vet :)

I started Beta 2 or 3 :D

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
Remove the canopy frames
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2005, 08:40:18 AM »
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!