Author Topic: Looking at a CH Setup  (Read 998 times)

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« on: August 21, 2005, 02:02:36 PM »
I am considering the full CH set up.  I found the FighterStick, Pro pedals and the Pro throttle for $322 plus shipping.  Is this a good price?  It seems to be as the CH webpage lists these items for quite a bit more.

Here is the real question though..... Will it make me a better pile-it?  I would hate to spend 300 bucks on a set up and not really gain anything over my MS or Saitek sticks. Any thoughts CH users?

Thx.... Mak

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 02:27:12 PM »
I think the real point of a CH setup is to have it with you in the grave.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 03:05:47 PM »
It will be the last set of sticks you will ever own.. if the sticks fail (switches, pots, etc), send them back to CH with a check for $15.

I send one of my 3 back to CH about ever 3 years or so for switch/pot repair. Most recently, they swapped out my pedals for a brand new set and it only cost me the $15 shipping.

Go with MS or Saitek and you're looking at a new stick every 6 months, and you'll pay full price each time.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:30:56 PM »
I flew for about 6-7 years wishing for that setup.  Now I have it.  Once you get used to the pedals, you will gain alot in detailed rudder input.  You dont know how crappy anything else is until you have CH flight pedals.

I have no complaints on the stick.  The throw range seems larger that the saitek or sidewinders Ive used.  The stick operates on a universal joint instead of a ball joint.  It is a little akward at first, but it does cut down on mixing inputs inadvertantly.  Lots of buttons too.

Add in the buttons on the throttle and everything you need can be programed at his fingertips.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 04:21:18 PM »
I priced some stuff at Provangage.com , I think that was it, and IIRC my price was lower. HOWever I also was going to use the 568 or whatever # the stick is below the Fighterstick. It had a similar layout to my old FX stick, was slightly cheaper, and I figured all the Pro Throttle buttons would make me not miss the ones on the fighterstick.
In the end I just went and got my old analog stuff working on the new rig with XP and I'm :D
Alot of the 'good stick' feeling is fit and comfort though, no matter how good CH stuff is if your uncomfortable with it you wont like it.
My old analog stuff is 7+ years old and going strong.
Delerium, I assume your using USB stuff, wonder if they $15 deal would work with my analog stuff, I have been thinking  about replacing pots and I'm already short a button or two.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 06:21:01 PM »
http://www.provantage.com

is the best place I have seen on the inardnet for the lowest prices on CH USB gear

to add: my CH stuff been going since 96/97  with very minor tweaks in past 8 or so years.........can't wait to upgrade to USB

remembering now 1st time I ever spoke to Ack-Ack  he was tech rep for  CH back in 95? 96? or something and he says "hey I play air warrior Too"  :lol
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:26:26 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Clip121

• Copper Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »
I just got the CH setup myself and I love it.  The fighterstick is awesome, I love the feel and all the nice buttons.  The pedals are good too, just taking some time for me to get my aim while using them.  It does take a little getting used to but I won't be going back to anything else.  I love my CH gear.....

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »
IMO, there is no smoother stick than the CH Flight stick.  My problem is its starting to leave me in the middle of a flight. The powered hub helped as I always get it back, but something is messed up inside of it. I don't want to send it for repair until I get a spare to use during that time. I have an x45 but after using thew ch stick, the x45 seems pretty disgusting. I couldn't go back to that - I tried.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 12:02:08 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
http://www.provantage.com

Thanks TC, of all the places to make a typo I make it the most critical one, the address I'm trying to give.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:11:35 PM »
Originally posted by BTW
IMO, there is no smoother stick than the CH Flight stick.  My problem is its starting to leave me in the middle of a flight. The powered hub helped as I always get it back, but something is messed up inside of it. I don't want to send it for repair until I get a spare to use during that time. I have an x45 but after using thew ch stick, the x45 seems pretty disgusting. I couldn't go back to that - I tried.

$20 for the x45.

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 04:22:34 PM »
i had been using just the saitek X45 stick / throttle combo, bought my CH pedals about a month ago and love them, I can't imagine using the rocker on the bottom of my X45 that was ghetto lol  

I like my X45 stick tho, I had to take that stock spring off and put my own on because it was just way too stiff feeling, I have a bunch of RC cars and trucks so I just took a spare shock spring and put it on the stick, makes it allot easier to use IMO... but once it starts messing up it will be replaced with a CH stick... after using there pedals I can't wait to see there sticks.

I don't see any need to switch throttles ? Does anyone know if there are any significant differances in the throttles, X45 and CH.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 05:20:38 PM »
Ice, I dont have any spare springs laying around -- and I am getting to hate the stiff and jerky response in my X45. Any specs on springs to pick up? I'm hoping for a CH for Christmas, but its seeming to be really far off right now....
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 06:19:47 PM »
My first CH set-up I bought in 1991, it worked perfectly, didn't even need to replace a pot or anything until 2002. It still worked perfectly then but I wanted the USB versions. I fully expect the CH USB versions to last until 2050 at least. CH is the most expensive, but it's the best...period. You can bite the bullet and pay $300 for the full CH set-up and have it for life, or pay $100 for a far inferior set-up and replace it every 1-2 years, it's up to you...

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 08:41:08 PM »
Thx to everyone for the info and replys.

I am truly undecided about what I am going to do.  My big concern is weather or not I will be able to fly at my present level with the new set up.

My current stick is a MS Force Feedback2.  The Idea of going to a "loose" or low resistance stick makes me real nervious.  My MS stick requires alot of force to operate and I have grown accostomed to that.  

I have 2 Saitek sticks which are o.k but the MS stuff is much better IMO.

I dunno.....

Thx again..... Mak
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 10:03:42 PM by Nomak »

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Looking at a CH Setup
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 09:07:56 PM »
Sup nomak, long time no see.  I remember when I first started aces high from ww2ol you gave me some flying lessons :)  I've been using the same saitek cyborg evo for about 5 months with still no problems and it cost like 30 bucks now(currently taking a break from the game tho).  I bought an x52 which I promptly returned due to its huge range of motion and looseness which I hated.   I've also found it is hard switching to HAT views from the keypad(have my throttle mapped to my joystick buttons one full throttle one at zero throttle).  As long as these evo sticks are still here I have no intention of changing to anything else.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights