Author Topic: Colored 5"smoke from manned ack  (Read 868 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Colored 5"smoke from manned ack
« on: August 21, 2005, 05:56:38 PM »
It's very hard to learn the 5" gun because the autoack's near misses can be confused with your own. Could a colored smoke be used from manned ack?

Offline practice limited by drone circle size....
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 11:22:08 AM »
Part of the ongoing war between real and practical. Real 88mm/5" guns were black puffs, plain and simple.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 11:40:08 AM »
I think you need to do some Microsoft office training programs, they'll teach you how to get the mouse on target and hone your point and clicking skeeelz.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 07:46:08 PM »
Cute.

However, real AP rounds were dyed for precisely this purpose -- ID'ing which gun was hitting where.

The realism argument breaks down, though. IRL, 88mm guns were often guided by radar and gunners had calculation devices on hand for their TEAM manning the gun. IRL, ALL 5" guns were manned, and ALL gunners had training in targeting. In real life, it was VERY VERY dangerous to overfly a hostile carrier group. Here, it can be done almost routinely. Also, in AH (a game for FUN) CAP is nonexistant because (as IRL) it is a boring job most of the time.

Here some guns are automated, and there is no way to learn how to hit targets that are not 2k range travelling tangentially at 3k alt. Most importantly, there is no way to get feedback about your gunning because your misses are invisible-- whcih was definitely not the case IRL. So, you cant till if the puffs are yours, and you cant see your misses -- how are you supposed to get better? There no other task in AH that has to deal with this handicap.

While I understand that non-furball topics draw sarcasm from some BK's, I'd think you folks  might be a little more sympathetic. After all, inability to defend carriers from "lone dive bombing fun nazi  buffs" and the like generally kill a furball more permanently than any other event in AH.  If you go ballistic over a FH killer, why are you dissing the only base weapon that can reliably stop him from an FH kill that takes hours to repair (ie CV death)?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 07:50:35 PM by Simaril »

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 11:59:17 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril

While I understand that non-furball topics draw sarcasm from some BK's, I'd think you folks  might be a little more sympathetic. After all, inability to defend carriers from "lone dive bombing fun nazi  buffs" and the like generally kill a furball more permanently than any other event in AH.  If you go ballistic over a FH killer, why are you dissing the only base weapon that can reliably stop him from an FH kill that takes hours to repair (ie CV death)?

Because shooting anything down with a 5" gun in Ah is rediculously easy, and now you are asking to make it so easy that it would be nearly impossible to miss.  That would kinda suck, considering 5" gunners easily shoot maneuvering planes down at extreme ranges as it is.  

If you zoom in when you fire, you can actually see the fall and track of the round as it goes.  Use that to figgure how much lead you need to pull.  Other than that, just a short ammount of time using the gun should be all you need to learn it well.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 07:18:18 AM »
Like I said; it's an ongoing war. And there's no way you, me, or HTC can stop it.

The basic answer is that you need no vertical lead until your target is over 2.0K. Over that, you adjust in increments. I've never watched how I gun; all just instict because I do it all the time. I bite wind in fighters, so I blat 'em in ship guns.

What I'm trying to say is; practice makes perfect. If you really want to be really skilled in 5" gunning, go into the TA with a friend. Have him fly around and blast away at him.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 02:09:48 PM »
Fair enough; thanks for the tips. I'll try the watch with the zoom thing in particular, because in game feedback is really what I'm after.  You guys have made me feel embarrassed about every misplaced round I've ever fired.