Author Topic: Ability to set convergence on bomber guns  (Read 1007 times)

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
Ability to set convergence on bomber guns
« on: August 22, 2005, 07:55:07 PM »
As the subject says...

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 08:09:37 PM »
what good would this do? I mean, I know what it would DO, but what effect would it have in-game? Not much, I think.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 08:53:48 PM »
when setting convergence in fighters what it is doing is rising/lowering the angle the guns which are mounted in the wings. Bomber guns are not mounted in a fixed position and if you want to shoot further you just rise the guns a little, instead of rising the plane's nose like in a fighter.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 02:00:27 AM »
Plus, when you could manually adjust the convergence, as in 1.99betasomethingorother, you could whack fighters at ridiculous distances. Fun for buffs, but not real good for gameplay.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 12:10:11 PM »
agreed buffs don't need any more help, there pretty awesome already... if you cant take out a single enemy fighter with 3 buffs than you need to practice your aim... they need there damage models lowered also, especially for tail and fuselage hits, I've came in on bombers dead 6 from 600 out and dumped a full load of ammo from a P38 and just knocked a few tail feathers off, IRL what would happen is 1 or 2  20mm rounds would have gone through the tail, through the fuselage and through the cockpit, making it go boom, its BS when you empty a whole 100 rounds of 20mm into a bomber and its still flying, I don't care where you hit it, 1 or 2 20mm's should be plenty, there made of the same materials as the planes are, just allot more area... There are tricks to killing buffs and I know how to easily, I just think there damage models are way too jacked up, especially for dead 6 shots, all you get is some tail feathers and a tail gunner if your lucky, but aim a 1/2 inch left or right and you cut the wing root off or set it on fire... somethings wrong there, tail and fuselage were main attack areas for germans in WWII, that s all they aimes for and there are descriptions of them firing 1/2 second bursts and taking them down... somethings gotta give, either up the power of a 20mm or lower the damage model in the buffs

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 01:32:41 PM »
Even if the structural damage would be hardened as it is, at least the gunners should die to the mg pings. In real life the common tactic was to attack the tailgunners before hammering the actual plane from 50yds distance.

In AH you can spray 2 seconds worth of .50 directly to the tailgunners position without knocking him out let alone personnel behind him in the fuselage.

Bullet travel inside the bomber and its effects to the crew should be modeled correctly - which means several wounded or casualties after one good strafing pass along the hull of a B17.

Currently strafing the hull does nothing to gunners even with cannons. It is more probable to cause a catastrophic structural failure than kill a gunner on board.

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 01:38:40 PM »
yes sir I am in total agreement with you on that, its like they only have 2 weak spots, wing roots and cockpit, anything else your just wasting ammo, even though a 20mm should punch a good 2'-3' hole on exit, besides the point that they are HE...

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 01:40:32 PM »
imagine a hand grenade going off in the rear of a bomber what would it do ???  Thats what a 20mm or 30mm should do... I can't remember which is compared to the explosiveness of a grenade but neither of those has that much effect on bombers unless its a cockpit or wing root shot

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 01:45:58 PM »
1. Stop hijacking threads, (ie. go whine elesewhere)

2. You are completly exaggerating. I HIGHLY doubt you managed to hit all 100 rounds of 20mm on the buff (maybe you should be the one working on your aim or check the quality of your network connection)

On the rare occasion that I am desperate enough to attack a buff from the 6 I have taken out buffs with 5-10 20mm hits on the fuselage or 2-5 hits on a wing root.

3. You're asking for a beating attacking a buff form. from the 6

4. Don't assume anything from my thread about my aim.

5. Buffs are actually too weak in this game, you just have to know how to attack them. If I attack buff formations the right way I can take out all 3 (b24s and lancs are usually easier) in one or two passes with a cannon armed fighter.

Originally posted by Iceman24
agreed buffs don't need any more help, there pretty awesome already... if you cant take out a single enemy fighter with 3 buffs than you need to practice your aim... they need there damage models lowered also, especially for tail and fuselage hits, I've came in on bombers dead 6 from 600 out and dumped a full load of ammo from a P38 and just knocked a few tail feathers off, IRL what would happen is 1 or 2  20mm rounds would have gone through the tail, through the fuselage and through the cockpit, making it go boom, its BS when you empty a whole 100 rounds of 20mm into a bomber and its still flying, I don't care where you hit it, 1 or 2 20mm's should be plenty, there made of the same materials as the planes are, just allot more area... There are tricks to killing buffs and I know how to easily, I just think there damage models are way too jacked up, especially for dead 6 shots, all you get is some tail feathers and a tail gunner if your lucky, but aim a 1/2 inch left or right and you cut the wing root off or set it on fire... somethings wrong there, tail and fuselage were main attack areas for germans in WWII, that s all they aimes for and there are descriptions of them firing 1/2 second bursts and taking them down... somethings gotta give, either up the power of a 20mm or lower the damage model in the buffs

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 06:19:42 PM »
Still a fact that aiming guns in AH2 bombers is too easy. There should be, imo, some generic turbulence movement (to the entire aircraft). Every minimal elevator input threw off the tail gunner's aim in RL. And the pintle monted guns in AH2 are like hardmounted, hydraulic driven guns also.

/whine

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 01:48:45 AM »
I've tested this thing offline on drones and one buff easily takes the full ammo load of a f4u for example if you spray it evenly all over its body. My typical attack on a bomber is a high speed pass where I light up the hull with mgs and/or cannons. That means a steady stream of hits passing through the fuselage from tailgunner go cockpit.

Yet it has never happened so far that the bomber stoped shooting back at me. Even when I hit the tail section hard with 8x.50 he still keeps shooting back.

The only thing I'm afraid of in this whole game are buffs. I stay away from them whenever possible.

Yesterday I had a faultless score of 16 kills and 0 deaths in f4u-4 - well untill the moment when I made the second pass on a B24 formation. Bing bang boom oil gone, engine dead, pilot wound and shortly after that sent to tower.

Maybe 1% of players could do that to me fighter vs fighter but about 90% of players can do that buff vs fighter. And thats a fact.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 03:22:32 PM »
This is not asking for setting the convergence of a single set of guns (i.e. the top turret) it is asking for setting the convergence of were all the turrets are aimed when they can "see" the same target.

Example.. You a gunning in a B17. A bandit low on your six is at 600 yards. The tail and ball turret can both 'see' this bandit. The convergence distance for the aiming of these two turrets makes a difference. If the setting is 200 yards, and you are shooting from the ball, then the bullets will cross at 200 yards. You may be hitting wth the ball (because you are aiming from there) but the tail turret would be shooting too low because the aiming point is different.