Author Topic: .5 inch ammo versus Ack  (Read 840 times)

Offline Slobberdonkey

• Zinc Member
.5 inch ammo versus Ack
« on: August 28, 2005, 11:52:28 AM »
The one thing I miss more than anything else from AH1 is the ability to drop field acks with just a short burst from a .50 caliber gun.  Now it's 1 round from a 20mm somewhere near the emplacement versus a long precise strafing run with 6-8 .50 cals to drop a gun emplacement.

It's criminal that the P47 is a less appealing option for deacking than a 109-G2 (without gondolas).

Please change the damage modeling of .5 caliber rounds versus field acks to a higher level of effectiveness.  AH1 may have been overkill with just 1 bullet landing somewhere in the circle dropping the emplacements but it shouldn't be too far from that.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
.5 inch ammo versus Ack
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 03:28:19 PM »
You can still take out field gun emplacements with .50 cals, heck you can even take them out with the rifle caliber guns the Ju-87D-3 has.  

The only thing that is preventing you from killing the field acks is your aim, nothing else.  Honestly, 1 burst of .50s will kill a field gun emplacement if you actually hit it instead of around it like you seem to be doing.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
.5 inch ammo versus Ack
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 04:03:05 PM »
Also while you are changing things, change it so aircraft are easier to hit, and more ack guns are available. It's just not fair that a quick squirt from one of twenty aircraft vulching can take out a fields air defense. :D

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
.5 inch ammo versus Ack
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 05:09:43 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
You can still take out field gun emplacements with .50 cals, heck you can even take them out with the rifle caliber guns the Ju-87D-3 has.  

The only thing that is preventing you from killing the field acks is your aim, nothing else.  Honestly, 1 burst of .50s will kill a field gun emplacement if you actually hit it instead of around it like you seem to be doing.

ack-ack

Just for discussion, wouldn't the actual "destruction" of the
gun position be much more likely to simulate the destruction or
suppressing of the crew than the gun itself?

That being said, I find it difficult to believe that crews would
ignore hundreds of machine gun bullets impacting in their
immediate area just because they weren't exploding :p
In fact, I bet it would be very difficult to tell the difference during
the span of the strafing run.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
.5 inch ammo versus Ack
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 08:22:10 AM »
What's so difficult to believe? We already have planes ignoring all kinds of dangers and buffs flying at 2k alt.

Heck, if we're talking about realism, the ground pounders should drop load on target, and rtb anyway, instead of hang around field, knock ground defenses one by one, and then vulch it to hell.

I mean, what kind of field totes slow firing , 60rpm AA guns anyway? Besides, wouldn't there be always defense personnel who'd take up positions of dead AA gunners and start firing again? Or, set up new guns at different positions as the field is raided?

Isn't deacking fields easy enough already?

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
.5 inch ammo versus Ack
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 10:54:22 AM »
You are discussing pilot behavior, I'm talking about AI for
the most part.  I dare you to model common sense in the
average online gamer :p
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
.5 inch ammo versus Ack
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »
Besides, wouldn't there be always defense personnel who'd take up positions of dead AA gunners and start firing again? Or, set up new guns at different positions as the field is raided?

Which field during WW2 had an unlimited supply of M16 and ostwind anti-aircraft vehicles?

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
.5 inch ammo versus Ack
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 05:15:01 PM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
Which field during WW2 had an unlimited supply of M16 and ostwind anti-aircraft vehicles?

On the same field? None I would imagine. The German and Allies didn't defend the same field at the same time.:D

Or maybe it was the same one where major airfields are defended with 3 guns.

I wonder what the hit percentage is with the 37mm ack gun?

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs