Author Topic: Fw 190-A5  (Read 1434 times)

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Fw 190-A5
« on: September 06, 2005, 02:27:31 AM »
I am having trouble getting away from enemy planes ranging from the a6m to the yak9u and i just cant shake them off my six. Ive tried possible manuevers like the split-S and so on but i cant shake them. I read on the complete profile of the the 190 A-5 that if u can use the high roll rate the right way you can make an enemy plane get out of sync so if there are any tips on how to do this or setup some time in the TA to show me i would love any help i can get.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline red300

• Zinc Member
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 03:27:56 AM »
you've always got a chance of beating them if someone is diving on you wait till they get close and roll the plane upside down and dive at an angle its easier for them to line up you flying straight, if you time it right you should get away or buy yourself some time at least to escape.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 04:09:10 AM »
Sorry i had to bail out on you yesterday. Had to 'emergency-log'.

While i almost never fly 190, i know when i have trouble killing them. Keep moving. Roll over and back again (scissoring like) - 190 roll rate makes that easy - , thatll deny the opponent a decent shot. Just dont stay steady for longer than one or two secs and keep an eye on what your opponent does at all times. Keep him 'out of sync' ie dont let his wings get parallel to yours (hell get a shot then). Negative Gs also make a shot difficult.

As for long time survival: Its always difficult once someone remotly decent has saddled up on your six. Prevention is very important - SA - situational awareness. Best thing is not to let anyone get on you six in the first place.

Easier said than done, i know. And it cant be avoided at all times, so:
If you dont have 'help' nearby or dont want it....:

Slower plane: Run. or rather -  extend to 1.5 or 2 K by diving shallowly, climb a bit and reverse once you feel you have at least evened out the odds a bit. (im no expert here since im currently learning to fly th efaster rides as well - but one advice Zaphod gave me is very good: keep the fight on your turf, fight by your rules, not his)

Faster plane: ie youre the better turner/opponent dives in high speed. Try for an overshoot. Get the fight slow and try to gain advantage by keeping the opponent busy. Try to change youre role from defender to agressor.

I hope this isnt all too confusing :).

There isnt really a 'recipe' on what to do with a plane on your six. It depends a lot on the situation and the pilots (and their flying style) involved.

Try different things. Be creative. Youll know if it works or not :D .
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 07:06:43 AM »
Faster plane: ie youre the better turner/opponent dives in high speed. Try for an overshoot. Get the fight slow and try to gain advantage by keeping the opponent busy. Try to change youre role from defender to agressor.

While a good idea in many other planes the 190 doesn't work like that unfortunatly.

Never get slow in a 190, and I mean NEVER unless you are very used to it. It is the worst turning fighter in the game and it doesn't have combat flaps. First notch of flaps extends at 170, at that speed you are already dead.

190's are tough SAS_KID, they are not beginners planes, they aren't even "average" pilot planes most of the time. While an avergae pilot may be able to zoom in and out of a fight getting some kills he will die right away when he loses his alt.

The fast roll rate doesn't help that much in AH, it is nice to have but don't expect it to get you out of situations against most planes.
Low speed scissors against planes that roll very slow at slow speeds (ie P47, P38 if engines aren't used to help roll, tiffie) can save you. But then comes the problem, everyone will outturn you and outfly you at slow speeds. Most planes wil be able to just throttle back, extend flaps and wait for you to stop scissoring or till they get snap shots at you.

People use stick stirring to survive in 190s (they use it in all planes but 190's do it extra well thanks to roll speed). Stick stirring is generally frowned up on and considered cheating so don't do it.

It is a tough plane to get away in, it accelerates poorly and it can't turn for S***. Once without speed you're a sitting duck.

Against zekes you can run (in the long run) make sure never to let them close. Against Yak 9U's you better be good, damn good if you wanna beat even a poor Yak 9 pilot. The Yak 9 holds all advantages except for roll rate but it rolls fast enough to give you troubles.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 07:17:15 AM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 07:39:07 AM »
keep the nose up until a wing stalls +) you maybe accused of stick stirring...  but hey you did nothing wrong and you may have shaken your opponent long enough for you to extend...

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 07:53:17 AM »
An A-5 in a stall looks like a damn leaf falling from a tree, it is IMPOSSIBLE to hit (at least by aiming at it).

I hate A-5's in a stall.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 09:41:25 AM »
i took a dora to 125 last night, and got a 109g10 to auger trying to stay in the slow fight. (wont mention who):D

ther are a few planes even more unstable that slow, esp the 109's. they hit that stall edge and wing over rather dramatically.

you can use the same manuevers with an a5 i did with the dora. get into a rolling scissors, then on the way down from the last roll, throttle zero, tail skid to drop E, and bring that baby to 125 with full flaps. you can still roll, and flat tun, and tail slide to evade shots. if the attacker goes up (like a good 109 will do) you lag follow with WEP to keep the nose in the air. as they invert and come down again, you do a quick snap stall, and pull out the opposite direction (like an accellerated split S) you do that throttle chopped, and they buzz right underneath you, you get a great snapshot with them comming right up in front of your cowl.

from there, you can wallow NOT flop low by the trees, and a fast mover usually will get to greedy to pull out early enough, and auger or stall over trying to follow your flat turn that slow.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 10:39:21 AM »
I really wish I had film of Triumph and me going at it last night in the MA. I was in a spit 9 and he was in a 109, Triumph if you have film please post it as it shows some awesome evasives you can use in the 109. The fight started at about 12K CO E, he stayed fast the 1st merge and owned the fight the whole time, he had me doing some crazy maneuvers in that spit9, anyways the fight was delayed do to some other planes coming in and we ended up goin at it again, this time he was much slower, to my spits atvantage... it took everything I had to stay behind him, he was split S ing dropping gear, scissoring, every evasive you can think of, I was begininng to think I would never get him the fight when on for a good 3 min until we got down to the deck and I finally got a solution on him. normally I can eat german planes for breakfast but if you find 1 flown by a good stick watch it, I never thought a 109 had so many tricks but if flown correctly actually is pretty defensive... Triumph - best fight I've had yet

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 10:54:28 AM »
normally I can eat german planes for breakfast  ---iceman24

:rofl
Not to incite  a riot or poke fun at you,but this statement makes me laugh. I recall several good fights where you didnt eat anything except lead.

JB12

Offline red300

• Zinc Member
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 03:26:50 AM »
SA prepartion patience and knowing when to leave seem to be the fundimentals of fw flying. I didnt do this last night and got
killed a HUGE number of times lol. Its not like a spitv where you
can 'arcade fight' right from takeoff. Try using a dora instead of
a5. A5s better turning can work againest it in a big fight as you
bleed speed from better turning someone will be waiting to jump
you best evasive in a fw is to dive and run on the deck :aok

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 03:41:55 AM »
Originally posted by Iceman24
I really wish I had film of Triumph and me going at it last night in the MA. I was in a spit 9 and he was in a 109, Triumph if you have film please post it as it shows some awesome evasives you can use in the 109.

Iceman the 109 is completely different then the 190. 109 is WAY easyer to fly. Been flying german planes for over four years and still rather be in a 109. 109s can turn if you dont have gondies but 190s are flying bricks.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 09:52:05 AM »
Thank you for the good advice and about how i should prlly use the D-9 but, i just have 2 final questins. How do you tail slide and what is scissors move.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 09:57:15 AM »
Can eat most German planes for breakfast except ones flown by JB's, should have made that statement lol

Of coarse now when I do run into you guys I'm usually outnumbered.

Lately you guys have become my arch enemy or something... everywhere I go I run into ya'll guys... did someone put a hit on me or was it the German plane comment lol J/K bro's

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 10:48:30 AM »
Originally posted by SAS_KID
Thank you for the good advice and about how i should prlly use the D-9 but, i just have 2 final questins. How do you tail slide and what is scissors move.
you can fly the A5 just like the D9 in the situations i mentioned.

as far as a tail slide, it is flying in 1 direction while kicking full rudder to dramatically slow the plane down. you have to keep the plane flying in the same direction, not letting the rudder "turn" the plane.

it's kind of like the original air brake

as for scissors, do a google search or search here. i am bad at describing, and if you saw a diagram you'd probably get it real quick.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Fw 190-A5
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 11:29:14 AM »
Originally posted by SAS_KID
what is scissors move.

click this link and read the article

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_054a.html
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC