Author Topic: HT, 105mm Howitzer formations  (Read 970 times)

Offline whels

• Silver Member
HT, 105mm Howitzer formations
« on: September 06, 2005, 06:45:59 PM »
HT any chance of GVers getting simular option like Bombers to get 105mm or 155mm Howitzers and be able to up them in groups of 3.

have them follow u in a convoy line till u hit O to depoly, then u could use the clipboard and aim in land mode like u do Fleet guns.

maybe have a range couple miles? or so.

would be great for field/town/city/factory bombardment.''

whels

Offline RTVapor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 09:21:59 PM »
I think that that is an awesome idea!:aok

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 10:06:43 PM »
Well, the Idea I posted a while back was to make an M3 have a Howitzer (single) in tow.  You would get out somewhere, then deploy it.

Deploying it would take 20-30 seconds.  Undeploying would take 30-40 seconds.

Both the M3 and the Gun will be incredibly vulnerable to fire and unable to scoot if in trouble.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 12:51:41 AM »
I like it, then again, I would like to see any new GV or artillery addition to the game.

Flak batteries, Gun positions, mobile armor, tank destroyers, scout cars, Jeeps, German 88's, 105's
We could have some awesome ground wars going on under all the furballing:aok

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 07:23:12 AM »
Still would like to see a truck (Studebaker)with multiple trailer options....

88mm (HE, AP, AA)
Rockets(185mm katyusha)
5" Howitzer.(HE AA)
Troops and supplies. (together)

I never thought about a "convoy" option sounds like a neat idea.

hmm 3 x AP loaded 88mm hiding at the edge of a wood waiting for a Tiger..........

hmm 3 x HE loaded 88 mm firing on enemy hangers..........

hmm 3 x AA loaded 88 mm offerring cover over a ground attack....... or a field defence...............

hmm 3 x 16 rail katyusha launchers with two medium range  salvos on an enemy airfield..............

hmm 3 x 5" howitzers shelling an enemy field at long range...........

hmm 30 troops running in through enemy defences..............

perk the formation!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 07:26:15 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Mystic2

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theunforgivenweb.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 07:31:09 AM »
I like this idea.. we need more big guns in the game :D  especially if its gv related!!  I do have one question tho.. how do you use land mode?  what is the command for this?
FSO Setup CM
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"LIVE FREE, DIE WELL"

mystic2@ahevents.org

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 07:47:03 AM »
To be able to roll out & emplace anti tank guns to stop a GV swarm would be awsome!

Not to mention shelling a city till GV's come out to find you.  :)

Great idea

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 10:06:50 AM »
Originally posted by Mystic2
I like this idea.. we need more big guns in the game :D  especially if its gv related!!  I do have one question tho.. how do you use land mode?  what is the command for this?

When you are in a gun posistion like the 8" on a cruiser, hit the "W" key. this puts you in land mode. Bring up the clipboard map and put the cursor over the target and left click. This inputs the range and bearing to the guns. The guns will continue to shoot at the same spot untill you adjust. You can use your joystick to adjust range and bearing. All the information for the guns is in the top left corner of the screen. To change to a different target click on the map again. To get out of land mode hit the "E" key I think. That might put you in sea mode. It's either E or Q, one of the 2:rolleyes:

Anyway with howitzers in the game, you could fire a smoke round and have someone in the air or on the ground tell you if your long/short/left/right of target and call in an adjustment. Let the guns have different colored smoke than the tanks. (Red would be good since it is the artillery color) I would say give them 10 spotting rounds.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 12:50:14 PM »
But see, if even a spit 1 is giving air cover for the GV's, you're humped.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Heretic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 10:55:43 PM »
lasersailor,

Thats why artillery batteries had flak batteries covering them.    Even if a Spit 1 were to come along it should easy to knock him down with your buddies flak batteries(Osti,M16,Whirblewind).

To deploy artillery it would make for a very realistic game.  You would have to think this out.    You could go it alone and hope for the best that you aren't destroyed.  Better yet, is to get a squad or several country men to up a few artillery batteries, more guys to up Flak GV's to provide air cover for the artillery.      Place a few MBT's to provide cover against enemy MBT's.    

I can see where guys would use this as a spawn camping tool from long range tho.    Up your artillery and click land mode right on a GV spawn that is very active and before you know it they are killing armor left and right.

Something to think about anyways.   Sounds like alot of fun.  Although the guys who want instant action wouldn't care for it one bit.

Offline FlyingFortress

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 10:58:39 PM »
We do not ask for your Lalas, or 51's. We do not ask for your lancs and buffs. It is your dweebs we claim. It is your lamers that will be sought by us. With every breath, we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, 'til it rains down from the skies. Do not run. Do not lame. Do not be a jerk. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior, and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost. There are varying degrees of dweebage. We urge you lesser forms of dweebs, not to push the bounds and cross over, in to true lameness, into our domain. For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we Deadmen, and on that day you will reap it. And we will send you to whatever god you wish. - Nasty Dead Men
..You guys are waaaay to serious about a SIM

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 05:41:41 AM »
Originally posted by SEgunner
I can see where guys would use this as a spawn camping tool from long range tho.    Up your artillery and click land mode right on a GV spawn that is very active and before you know it they are killing armor left and right.

We tried this in a scenario by positioning a fleet off shore and using the 5" set to HE to pepper the spawn point under land mode.

It did not work even against M8's and M3's.

Further since then HTC has increased the "spawn field size" such that it will now be even less effective.

I think the 5" howitzers would be HE only. We really do not want the sort of naval 5" AA barrage we can get from fleets.

Unless the shells could be timed and not proxy. It could be implemented as a range setting adjusted by the gunner using +/- or a wheel.

88mm AA could be similarly modelled.

AH already has the shells and ranges modelled for both these guns although the fire rate for field guns would not be the same as that for automated naval guns.
Ludere Vincere