Author Topic: Object Editor - size matter for zbuffering?  (Read 434 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Object Editor - size matter for zbuffering?
« on: September 29, 2005, 12:50:46 PM »
I'm building larger factories using standard AH parts and wondering if there is any best order to placing objects. I read that if you place the base ground object last, it will cover all the buildings so that got me thinking about other objects too.

My intuition tells me I should place small objects such as str4, a small gate house like building, before placing larger objects like cit0, a large water tank, which should be drawn to cover the smaller stuff behind it.

Am I on the right track or dose it matter?

Thanks.

Edit: If the larger items are placed first, will the smaller objects behind it be drawn?  Could save a few fps.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 01:17:13 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 03:48:07 PM »
to my understanding all objects are drawn, whether or not they are seen its another matter. Start with the ground/base object, then roads and clutter. Last place buildings, as long as the buildings do not overlap each other they will be fine. If you intend to overlap some buildings, those with the higher index number will appear on top.

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 10:18:45 AM »
You can always change the index number in the OE, so it is not a matter in which order you stack them!
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:08:56 PM »
Thanks guy.

It's been a long time ago, maybe 10 or 20 years ago lol, but I remember reading discussions about not drawing things with hidden vertices and I believe openGL works that way today, no idea about DX9.  I'd forgotten you could change the sequence, I'll have to play with it some and see what happens.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001