Author Topic: History Channel  (Read 545 times)

LJK Raubvogel

History Channel
« on: December 17, 2000, 07:45:00 PM »
Is showing "The Secret Planes of the Luftwaffe" at 10 pm tonight.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

[This message has been edited by LJK Raubvogel (edited 12-17-2000).]

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
History Channel
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2000, 08:16:00 PM »
rgr that , am taping it . Plus got WW2 in color too , and Sherman tanks etc . Great night on TV for once .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Nath-BDP

History Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2000, 09:15:00 PM »
err, you mean Hitler Channel? lol

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
History Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2000, 09:49:00 PM »
Hehe "The Nazi Channel"
Amazing how much of their airtime they dedicate to 15 years of human history, and to the subfield of military history.
Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that war footage actually works on television?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
History Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2000, 11:28:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dinger:
Hehe "The Nazi Channel"
Amazing how much of their airtime they dedicate to 15 years of human history, and to the subfield of military history.
Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that war footage actually works on television?

Well in all fairness there is a shortage of film from the Crimean conflict not to mention the War of the Roses and the ever popular crusades.

Of wait!!!! Monte Python DID make a documentary on the crusades, silly me.

Sheesh!

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

funked

History Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2000, 01:50:00 AM »
Cool show, but a lot of BS.
The B-2 was based on the Go 229?  Yeah right...  Northrop was building flying wings with a nearly identical configuration to the B-2 in 1943.  N-9M, B-35, B-49 - that's the real heritage of the B-2.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
History Channel
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2000, 02:01:00 AM »
Actually, Funked, you'll find that Kurt Tank designed the forerunner of the Northrup Flying Wing.

<G,D,R>
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
History Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2000, 07:24:00 AM »

Originally posted by funked:
Cool show, but a lot of BS.
The B-2 was based on the Go 229?  Yeah right...  Northrop was building flying wings with a nearly identical configuration to the B-2 in 1943.  N-9M, B-35, B-49 - that's the real heritage of the B-2.

Funked I hope you are honest enough to admit that Northrop actively used Horton brothers' studies on flying wings to his B-35 and B-49 flying wings.

It is true that to say the B2 is a "descender" of the Go-229 is going too far (in fact Horten Brothers received the go ahead from the RLM when in Germany was known that USA was studying the flying wing concept).

It is same as saying that the F-86 was descendant of the Me262. Or the MiG-15.

But those planes existed because USA and USSR had so much german information (and scientists) available. Without it, the F-86 would've been an improved P80, with straight wing, and the MiG15 won't have been at all (it was a modified german airframe design with a british engine, go figure).

It is widely admitted that Germany had the lead in aerodynamics in 1945, thanks to their study on arrow and delta wings. The Me262 wing amazed both Russians and Americans. And the Go-229 came as little less than a shock when discovered.

To say the B-2 is based on the Go-229 is not completely untrue.It is based on the same tech that the 229 used,and without the German flying wing information on american hands, I doubt a lot that the B2 existed today.  

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 12-18-2000).]

funked

History Channel
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2000, 07:36:00 AM »
RAM you should see the show.  
The show said that Northrop engineers went to the Smithsonian, saw the Go 229, and were inspired to build the B-2.  They didn't say anything about the Horten brothers' gliders.  

I've seen the N9M, B-2, and the Go 229 up close and personal.  It's pretty obvious which two are most closely related.  

But yes it is true, B-2 and Go 229 have common ancestry.  But the show completely ignored this, with no mention of the Horten brothers' gliders, the N9M, the B-35, or the B-49.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
History Channel
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2000, 08:07:00 AM »
It was LW mythology.
German scientists certainly made contributions to aircraft design, just as amurrican, british, italian, french and others did; but whether any one (or group) of those contributions are essential to any particular aircraft does not necessarily follow.

The story was that, in designing the B-2, the Northrop engineers performed a top-secret visit to the Smithsonian where they studied the Go-229, and that, 50 years later, we're still building Nazi knock-offs.
Much more probable is that German aircraft design was pretty damn good, but the exigencies of the end of the war moved them to a dangerously short development cycle.  Just 'cos they could put a prototype on paper doesn't mean they could solve all the technical issues (cf. Leonardo).

oh and Maverick, you'll see the Crusades and War of the Roses on their some time or other.

But what about a social history of monasticism?  The architectural history of barns? The intellectual history of doctrines concerning the Trinity?  Kinship and Family in a 17th-century French village?  The economics of the South Sea Bubble.
See! History is CHOCK FULL of exciting stuff that ain't military!
Now that would be programming bliss!