Author Topic: Katrina Cleanup Contract goes to...not surprisingly, Halliburton subsidiary  (Read 991 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Katrina Cleanup Contract goes to...not surprisingly, Halliburton subsidiary
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2005, 02:05:37 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
That's not what people are arguing.  They are saying that Bush et al. are using the crisis caused by the hurricane to pad their friends bank balances.  No need to twist arguement.

No need to twist the arguement either Thrawn.  The contract represents a shocking 1 percent 1% of all funds approved by congress thus far.

Padding bank accounts indeed.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2005, 02:47:26 PM »
Sidenote. I thought Cheney promised to sell off his stock once it reached the point where he would no longer lose money by selling it off. I see HAL is way over the value that he got it for.

$64 currently
$55ish where Cheney would cease to lose money on the sale.

Anyone got a link to his "promise" to sell??

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2005, 09:10:45 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
No need to twist the arguement either Thrawn.  The contract represents a shocking 1 percent 1% of all funds approved by congress thus far.

Padding bank accounts indeed.

That's interesting to know.  But for clarification, it wasn't an arguement I was making.  ;)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2005, 09:14:42 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger

What's 1% of 51 billion?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2005, 09:17:47 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
What's 1% of 51 billion?

try 1 % of 10 billion, the first amount congress approved.  It's .001% of 51 billion.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2005, 09:33:59 PM »
Jesious - I had no idea. How do these people eat?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 12:15:06 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
Jesious - I had no idea. How do these people eat?

well when talking about a then $10B now $100B contract $100 million is really pocket change.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 12:29:06 AM »
Sure it is.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 12:40:05 AM »
They shoulda gone to Lucky Eddie's Residential Plumbing, City Draining & Levee Repair. Those guys could handle this easy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Godzilla

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005, 12:42:50 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
They shoulda gone to Lucky Eddie's Residential Plumbing, City Draining & Levee Repair. Those guys could handle this easy.

exactly Toad, well said.

Offline Godzilla

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2005, 12:50:43 AM »
Kind of like hiring "Lucky Eddie's computer operating system and networking solutions" to run the defense department computers.

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2005, 10:18:12 AM »
Originally posted by Raider179
Sidenote. I thought Cheney promised to sell off his stock once it reached the point where he would no longer lose money by selling it off. I see HAL is way over the value that he got it for.

$64 currently
$55ish where Cheney would cease to lose money on the sale.

Anyone got a link to his "promise" to sell??

The more Cheney makes on his stock options, the richer charities will get.  He gave all future profits to charity before he took office.  You guys really should get a clue who your vice president is.  I know its makes some of you feel good to point out that he worked for Haliburton, but he dosn't work there now got it?

Factcheck.org

Stock Options

That still would leave the possibility that Cheney could profit from his Halliburton stock options if the company's stock rises in value. However, Cheney and his wife Lynne have assigned any future profits from their stock options in Halliburton and several other companies to charity. And we're not just taking the Cheney's word for this -- we asked for a copy of the legal agreement they signed, which we post here  publicly for the first time.

The "Gift Trust Agreement" the Cheney's signed two days before he took office turns over power of attorney to a trust administrator to sell the options at some future time and to give the after-tax profits to three charities. The agreement specifies that 40% will go to the University of Wyoming (Cheney's home state), 40% will go to George Washington University's medical faculty to be used for tax-exempt charitable purposes, and 20% will go to Capital Partners for Education , a  charity that provides financial aid for low-income students in Washington, DC to attend private and religious schools.

The agreement states that it is "irrevocable and may not be terminated, waived or amended," so the Cheney's can't take back their options later.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2005, 11:31:41 AM »
The irritating issue for me is not who gets the contract, it is the fact that everyone seems to think that the rebuilding of private property should be in any way funded by the taxpayers in the first place. If any homeowner or proprietor want to hire Eddie's Pluming and Computers or Haliburton I don't care, it is their money. But I don't want one red cent of my tax money repairing a single window pane.

If the repairs on the city hall are required then the citizens of that city need to pay, same with the levies. Interstate highways should be a 50-50 proposition.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2005, 11:34:21 AM »
So, I'm guessing that you don't think we-the-Federal-government should rebuild the multi-million dollar resort homes on the Carolina Outer Banks for those poor storm victims either?

You.

Are.

So.

Cruel.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!