Author Topic: HELP, i lost my identity!  (Read 631 times)

TheWobble

HELP, i lost my identity!
« on: December 14, 2000, 01:25:00 AM »
Today my comp started vomiting like it does every few months or so, so of coures i had to format it.  My problem is that I lost my login ID and password, HT is there any way ya can find it based soely on my screen name and mail it to me

Name:  Wobble

TheWobble

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2000, 01:40:00 AM »
NEVERMIND, I got it resent through AH....Well at least now everyone knows im an idiot!

JATO

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2000, 05:52:00 AM »
hahahaha thats funny

------------------
 http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/images/lrg0207.jpg

MrSiD

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2000, 06:14:00 AM »
TheWobble: Losing your password is not that big a deal - however formatting your harddrive is. Why on earth are you doing such a thing? And often also? I'd say you're doing something very wrong with your puter.

What kind of problems force you to reformat?
If you want to reinstall Windows for example, there are far better ways than formatting.

If you insist on formatting anything, at least make a copy of your existing registry first (AH saves and gets information to and from the registry  ) AND make sure you have partitioned your harddrive so that C: contains only windows + swapfile + maybe office etc.

Install all other software on D: E: F: etc partitions which you might (or will) have after partitioning your HD.

The least you can do is to cut windows to its own partition so you wont lose everything during the format (which you shouldn't do in the first place.)

Moose11

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2000, 12:40:00 PM »
I disgress

I usually go through a complete format and install every two months or so, depending on the usage of each machine. Saving the registry would negate half the purpose - your registry is usually chock full of crap entries from stuff uninstalled, demos, etc etc. Since I'm not a registry god like a friend of mine, I do little editing of serious stuff in there. A fresh clean format also allows you to start over in terms of what programs to install. It's a whole new picture.

(kind of the difference between touching up your car, or getting Mako to completely strip and paint it for you again.

TheWobble

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2000, 09:30:00 PM »
Whenever I do a format i put ont of those new car smell air fresheners on the monitor for affect.  

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2000, 11:03:00 PM »
I personally like that 2 week old half finished soda can smell....on the other hand Windbloze basically forces me to reinstall about every 6 months as the errors, lockups and general 1976 Pinto feeling it gets after 5 months or so....ya know, you press one key and it explodes.

TheWobble

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2000, 04:35:00 AM »
I know its time to format when i delete so many cruical files that when my computer boots up you get this eternal *BONK!* fest as the erors are pop up on the screen.