Author Topic: Should we change our laws because of Katrina  (Read 459 times)

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Should we change our laws because of Katrina
« on: September 19, 2005, 10:20:18 AM »
Katrina is going to lead to new laws and regulations.  Here are a few that have been floated, what can you add to or subtract from this list?

1.) The repeal of Posse Comitatus

- Its going to happen, if not 75 percent of what we have read about the governments slow reaction is just plain BS.

2.) A law that makes it legal to remove people from their homes prior to natural disasters.  

- If it is for their good and the good of the community, what right do you have to stay when all its going to do is cause problems?

3.) The law that mandates natural disaster insurance, cleanup insurance, rescue insurance, relocation insurance and terrorism insurance

- It cost money to do all that is needed to bail out the victims of disasters, why should the tax payers pay for it?

4.) The evacuation transportation requirement act

- The government can provide only so much public transit. Its pretty obvious that NO didn't have enough why shouldn't the public pay for their own?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:21:30 AM »
that's the problem with big clumsey govt.  They think they can legislate all the problems away.

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:28:32 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
that's the problem with big clumsey govt.  They think they can legislate all the problems away.

Not to mention Knee jerk legislation always happens after a disaster or large event.

Patriot act - 9-11
Weapons bans - Sacramento, Columbine

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 10:46:08 AM »
What I expect to see instead is the creation of federal riot units stationed regionaly. Great big division-sized force concentrations optimized and trained expressly for communications and property protection and designated to move into a threatened area either just prior to or immediately after SHTF.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 10:50:18 AM »
Army and National Guard are already hurting pretty bad in terms of numbers.

They may create a new unit, such as they did with DHS, designed to deploy quickly to disaster stricken areas or about to be disaster stricken areas. Possibly to forcefully remove residents or take control in a police state method until order and peace are restored.
-SW

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 10:58:04 AM »
Hang. you just could be correct on that.
I can also see the total power being abused and misused in these situations and non-relating situations just like we do with other government placed agencies.
My view would be when an evacuation is called for that transportation for those unable and wishing to leave to do so.
For those who wished to stay and ride it out for protection of "their" property have it on an "You are on your own" basis with a little more power to the property owners when it came to protection of your property in a disaster area.
  Usualy agencies put in place by the government leaves a lot of "gray area" and in most cases the power is abused.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 10:58:45 AM »
Yep. The job will go to a Ninja style acronym acency. Not the National Guard.

And my friends, that is just not a good thing.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Re: Should we change our laws because of Katrina
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 12:49:48 PM »
Originally posted by Krusher
Katrina is going to lead to new laws and regulations.  Here are a few that have been floated, what can you add to or subtract from this list?

1.) The repeal of Posse Comitatus

Only lazy thinking morons would be in favor of this.

2.) A law that makes it legal to remove people from their homes prior to natural disasters.  

If you pass this why would #4 be needed?

3.) The law that mandates natural disaster insurance, cleanup insurance, rescue insurance, relocation insurance and terrorism insurance

I think the flood insurance program should be private, however when you mandate buying a service/product from a private entity that enity becomes a quasi government agency and price regulation becomes important.

4.) The evacuation transportation requirement act

- The government can provide only so much public transit. Its pretty obvious that NO didn't have enough why shouldn't the public pay for their own?

See #2

shamus

PS: Ooops kinda screwed the quotes up, this has my reply's in Krushers original post
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 01:00:28 PM by Shamus »
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 05:12:19 PM »
NO had enough public transit. Didn't you see all those bus's parked in 4 ' of water?

Each and ever one of those should have had a city employee driving it, and a cop to keep order. They should have ALL been on the road instead of parked.

Thats Goverments fault, not the peoples.
Yet people will pay the price yet again.

And yes we'll lose a few more personal "rights" in the process.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 05:30:56 PM »
1.  Congress can repeal Posse Commitatus if needed. I think it's a good idea to keep the military out of civilian affairs. Hell, they don't want to be burdened with it anyway.

2.  Doesn't the government do that already?

3.  Mandated insurance coverage? Hell no. One need to look no further than auto insurance to see how screwed up it can get if the government requires insurance.

4.  State issue. Unfunded mandates from the federal government should be pissed on.
sand

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 05:52:04 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger

Agreed.
and I pesonally am against ANY law designed to protect me from myself
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 08:10:31 PM »
yeah just great lets let the government who ****ed it all up have even more power over us.

More laws are not needed here. Just politicians without their heads up their ass's.

None of this is a good idea.

Looks like the insurance lobby has some politicians in their pocket.

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Re: Should we change our laws because of Katrina
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 09:44:41 PM »
Originally posted by Krusher

1.) The repeal ................(huge snip)

Spoken like a true big goverment, libral...lets make the government responsible for everything, and keep these peskie freedome crap to a minimum.....sigh

If we learn one thing, learn that governments job is not to protect you from yourself.  BTW, the mayor is in completely over his head, and the governor isnt far behind.

Offline Lan784

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 10:03:17 PM »
agreed those laws would be nice to have if somthing like this ever happened again. and i just heard tropical storm rita is excpected to make land fall near Houston(where i live, check out profile to the left) and i live in the section where IF[B/] a catagory 3, hurricane hit my street would be under water. A catagory 4, water would be in my house. A catagory 5 then another katrina disaster happened. So if a disaster like katrina did happen again then this could be all avoided ..... Krusher ur a REAL american

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 10:17:57 PM »
John Stossel of ABC News built a beach house on Long Island.

His parents asked him why he built it there because it woud be destroyed with the first storm.  He said it wasn't even insured.  If it were to be destroyed, FEMA would buy it from him, he couldn't lose.

It was destroyed.  FEMA paid him for it.  He rebuilt it. It was destroyed again. FEMA paid for it again.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!