Author Topic: One Nation Under God?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
Ammo, are some sins greater than others in the eyes of the Christian deity?

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2001, 12:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM:
Question... other than Leviticus, does the bible address homosexuality anywhere else?

I have difficulties with Leviticus. Many of the "sins" listed hardly seem appropriate in this day and age.

Refferred to in the book of 1st Corinthians...

Corinthians is actually a letter that was written by the Apostle Paul to the believers at Corinth, belived to have been penned about AD 56. The purpose of the letter was to encourage the Christians there, and to point out some areas they needed to work on. I tell you all that above so you'll know the context of the verses. Too many people find a verse in the bible that they like, and ignore all the verses around it that set the context. Anyways, here's the verses:

1 Corinthians 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

1 Corinthians 5:10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

There are other references too.
If anyone tells ya they don't believe the bible mentions homosexuality, they are simply wrong. Homosexuality is a sin according to the bible. That's not too hip a thing to say in this day and time, but the bible still says that. There have been times in the past when homosexuality was pretty much accepted by man, and it's making a comeback now apparently, but the bible still says its wrong, so I still know it's sin. Do I hate homosexuals? no. I have to believe it's wrong though.

I've seen on TV before where there are *churches* that have openly gay ministers, and gay couples in the congregations they're reading from the bible, apparently thinking everything is just fine. Poor Souls.

I have in the past, surfed the web looking at nasty pictures, as most guys have. Since I became a christian, I had to hang that up. It's a sin, Jesus Christ himself said:

Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Now, if I wanted to be hip, I could just say that Christ never mentioned observing the *image* of nude women in a lustful way, so therefore, I'm ok, you're ok, lets just look at nasty's.

Can't do that though...

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2001, 12:47:00 AM »
Here's some more direct stuff out of the book of Romans (a letter Paul wrote to the Romans about AD 57):

Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: hblair ]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2001, 01:04:00 AM »
I read the bible once.
  I was looking for loopholes. Aaaaayaaa

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2001, 07:14:00 AM »
God does not clasify sin, man does.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2001, 07:24:00 AM »
homosexuality--as a starter,

Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have commited an abomination: they shall surely be put to death:their blood shall be upon them.

and for beastiality,

Leviticus 20:15 And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death:and ye shall slay the beast.

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: -ammo- ]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
sorry, but what a strange arse world we live in .. lespo grandmothers ...yuk!

sounds like a plot for a new HBO mini series  :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2001, 07:49:00 AM »
Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Oh dear.... it seems as though I am in a whole lotta trouble  :)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2001, 09:23:00 AM »
Oh crap Jekyll. We're screwed.

I hope it's by those women I am comitting adultery with  :).

Ammo, hm, man classifies sins? So to God, all sins are equal? I've heard some people claim this.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2001, 10:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by StSanta:

Ammo, hm, man classifies sins? So to God, all sins are equal? I've heard some people claim this.

SURE, most folks would say that the sin of murder is much worse than lust. Or even take the WTC act, Murder in that amount in mans eyes is far worse than a single drugland inner city murder that doesnt even make headlines. But God sees it as sin, all of it is an abomination to him. There is one sin though that is mentioned and stressed in the Bible, and unfortunately commited by many. I will give you the reference this eve when work is done.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
Organised religon rots. It seems to always turn into...we've gotta be right and you've gotta be wrong thing.

I will say that religion though is a good thing in many ways. It typicaly sets morals ie that glue that holds socities togather.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
One Nation Under God?
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2001, 12:35:00 AM »
batdog:

Us humanists and atheists have strong moral foundations too  :).

One of our "moral strengths" that isn't appreciated by everyone is the tenet of allowing to consenting adults to enjoy themselves without outside interference, without someone telling 'um what to do. As long as others aren't hurt.

One does not need religion to be moral. Or morals to be religious.