Author Topic: Only in Finland  (Read 459 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Only in Finland
« on: September 23, 2005, 07:45:19 AM »
Finnish politicians have taken up the challenge and are trying to pass laws, which the USA can't put up with - Finally they'd get something done that would be possible to do only in Finland.
The efforts made to put up with the RIAA's achievements are also admireable, but surely will make RIAA jealous.

May I introduce you to the finnish capitalism:
The story of Finnish copyright law

Finnish Culture Minister: citizens concerned about copyright are "terrorists"

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Only in Finland
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 08:35:41 AM »
A country that has a pimp gov ("ex-miss Finland Tanja Karpela") ... gotta like it. Finland, here I come!
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:05:19 PM »

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 01:51:47 AM »
And strangely enough, the highest incidence of Type 1 Diabetes in the world. One of the only countries researching food alergies and links to type 1.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »
What? I've got a type 1 diabetes (have had it for 20 years), I don't see the connection to the new copyright law proposition?

Perhaps the Fjinnisch health care system just notices and diagnoses different conditions sooner?
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 10:44:49 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
What? I've got a type 1 diabetes (have had it for 20 years), I don't see the connection to the new copyright law proposition?

Perhaps the Fjinnisch health care system just notices and diagnoses different conditions sooner?

Well, as a point of note - you won't see research with alergy links to food b/c of the farming lobby in the US - esp in the dairy industry. I have type 1 - and I am also alergic to egg, milk, butter, cheese, icecream - and I got type 1 when I was 23 and about to graduate from college.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 05:30:46 AM »
"...and I got type 1 when I was 23 and about to graduate from college."

Is that when you started to show signs of diabetes (feeling hot,  vision getting worse, etc), or simply when the doctors diagnosed your problem?  My wife--well, girlfriend at the time--was showing signs for several years before a doctor figured out what was going on.  She was 16 when they finally diagnosed it as type 1.

When she explains to people that she's diabetic, the standard response is frequently along the lines of "but you're skinny!".  A lot of people seem to confuse the different types of this disease.  

J_A_B

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 08:02:40 AM »
Originally posted by Wolfala
Well, as a point of note - you won't see research with alergy links to food b/c of the farming lobby in the US - esp in the dairy industry. I have type 1 - and I am also alergic to egg, milk, butter, cheese, icecream - and I got type 1 when I was 23 and about to graduate from college.
Ok. I haven't any allergies, just the diabetes. I don't know about the %'s of diabetics (here in Finland) who have allergies as well as diabetes, I guess some research about that has been done, but I haven't read anything about it (or at least I don't remember hearing about allergy-diabetes link). Oh and I was 7 when I got diabetes.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 08:13:11 AM »
Finnish genepool is pretty homogeneous, which why there is increased amount of type 1 diabetes and also makes other diseases/allergies more common than elsewhere (however the same goes other way around too; there can also be less diseases of certain type)
The gene is also recessive, which means the disease itself can leap over generations, until it finds a match. Although it can also dissapear from the genepool of descendant.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 08:17:45 AM by Fishu »

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 03:06:58 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
"...and I got type 1 when I was 23 and about to graduate from college."

Is that when you started to show signs of diabetes (feeling hot,  vision getting worse, etc), or simply when the doctors diagnosed your problem?  My wife--well, girlfriend at the time--was showing signs for several years before a doctor figured out what was going on.  She was 16 when they finally diagnosed it as type 1.

When she explains to people that she's diabetic, the standard response is frequently along the lines of "but you're skinny!".  A lot of people seem to confuse the different types of this disease.  

J_A_B

I went from 170 in officer training for the USMC to 135 just prior to commissioning in 4 months. It was a very acute onset. Besides weightloss, I was pissing every 20 minutes and drinking a full liter of orange juice or anything I could get my hands on. It was an acute onset.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 03:08:22 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu
Finnish genepool is pretty homogeneous, which why there is increased amount of type 1 diabetes and also makes other diseases/allergies more common than elsewhere (however the same goes other way around too; there can also be less diseases of certain type)
The gene is also recessive, which means the disease itself can leap over generations, until it finds a match. Although it can also dissapear from the genepool of descendant.

Have you got some data you can show with genetic links to type 1?

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Only in Finland
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 05:40:32 AM »