Author Topic: Nfl  (Read 164 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Nfl
« on: September 26, 2005, 08:36:33 AM »
Watching the end of the Pats/Steelers game last night, I was reminded of a lousy rule in the NFL. The pass interference call. It really becomes a crutch when all is lost, and they desparately hurl a jump ball downfield to the endzone, knowing full well that the defender has to interfere rather than give away a TD.

Id rather see the receivers work for it. And instead make it so if under 2 minutes,  make it a 10 yard penalty.

Troy Aikman used to rely on this all the time. I just dont think its football.

~AoM~

Offline Vipermann

• Nickel Member
Nfl
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:03:24 AM »
I think it's an OK rule just that the officals need to call it correctly. If a defender is going for the ball there is no foul.

If the defender has strapped a sadle on the receiver and is riding him like a horse there should be a penalty.
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dieing

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Nfl
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 09:31:21 AM »
naww ,the absolute most lame rule is  the "roughing the passer" rule,watched chargers get set back 5 yrds. for a bump in the helmet from a defending giant last night.Wth!! it's football,next thing you know ,you wont beable to make contact with the opposing player if he has the  ball.

JB12

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Re: Nfl
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 10:53:10 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Watching the end of the Pats/Steelers game last night, I was reminded of a lousy rule in the NFL. The pass interference call. It really becomes a crutch when all is lost, and they desparately hurl a jump ball downfield to the endzone, knowing full well that the defender has to interfere rather than give away a TD.

Id rather see the receivers work for it. And instead make it so if under 2 minutes,  make it a 10 yard penalty.

Troy Aikman used to rely on this all the time. I just dont think its football.

You are talking about that call on chad scott at the end of the game huh? I think that call was legit, he turned to look for the ball at the last second, but ran into the receiver and knocked him down before the ball arrived.

We won, it's all good
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Nfl
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 03:00:39 PM »
Ya I didnt say it was a bad call...but it was the way it was baited that irks me.  Instead of going for the needed yardage they said "Lets see if we can draw a lousy penalties on them."  A defense has stymied them all day, and they game the game for a chance to win. Yuck.

The problem is most times the refs dont get it right. The players put on a big acting show, and if its a big name guy they side with him. Happens way too much. Atleast make it reviewable if under 2 minutes.

~AoM~