Author Topic: ANY sort of weakness for La7!  (Read 1468 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
ANY sort of weakness for La7!
« on: September 25, 2005, 11:00:05 AM »
Aside from the current  less than stellar performance above mid-teens (which most planes endure) and 20 min flight time on full throttle, plane has no real downside at all---mebbe make wings rip in 500 mph dive?...had 1 keep up with my P47N last night at 20k for nearly 2 sectors, only way I stayed ahead was with wep..turn it off, he'd creep to <1k...I dove 500 mph to base, he kept 1 k back nearly all the way to deck...unreal
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 11:36:59 AM »
seems to be so many more people flying them lately.

it annoys me more than anything to be run down by them, they are unable to kill me and the ganging hoard catches up when i have to perform evasives.

need a perk cost of ~5 points on them - they are in a class of their own low down (compared to the unperked rides).
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 11:42:42 AM »
Yes perk the LA7. LA5 is practically as fast and more manouverable but with smaller gun package. It could remain unperked probably.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 12:10:27 PM »
Doesnt need to be perked, just give it 1 or 2 of the weaknesses that it likely had:mad:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: ANY sort of weakness for La7!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 12:18:28 PM »
Originally posted by bj229r
I dove 500 mph to base, he kept 1 k back nearly all the way to deck...unreal

very real infact.........

had you gone to a steady climb at 20k you should have mastered him............

also for an La7 to climb to 20 k and achieve a cruising speed to stay with a P47n it would have blown half its fuel (in the MA) plus 2 sectors further travel means that boy did not get home unless his base was less than half a sector away.

AH may have a problem with high dive speed/acceleration IMO.

Its a matter of record that other stuff could dive away from La7's (109G4) provided the La7 did not catch up during the initial acceleration of the dive......... not so in AH some others here have indicated it to be a pure drag thing.....however I doubt the P47 will enjoy any benefit from this should it be rectified.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 12:32:03 PM »
Doesnt need to be perked, just give it 1 or 2 of the weaknesses that it likely had:mad:

Hmm La7 weaknesses

Poor gun sight...... (in AH its poor)

Poor radio range......... (maybe???)

Over heating cockpit........(less pilot endurance??)

Landing bounce ? ( Nope that was the La5's)

Poor under nose visibility (in AH its poor)

Engine reliability (nope the Ash was as sold as a rock!  stories of em flying home with a cylinder shot out)

Weak wings (nope could take every G the engine and controls could pull)

Caught fire ? (Nope it didnt)

Poor performance above 10K ( yes in AH the La7 is under powered above 10K...drain its e above 10 k and most contemporaray mid alt ac will master it......of course it will dive away)

Only two Shvaks (yup the bulk of La7's only had the same guns as the La5FN........split the models and perk the 3 gun La7 IMO)
Ludere Vincere

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 01:12:48 PM »
Weak wings (nope could take every G the engine and controls could pull)

Early radial-engined Lavochkins had problems with wing assembly such as La-5 and La-5F.  Problems were eradicated when La-5Fn and 7 came out.

Imo there should be a split between La-7s. One with 2 gun option and 1944 performance figures. The other gets 3 gun option with 1945 performance figures.

The current AH La-7 performance (speed and climb) was not achieved until April 1945...

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 01:16:43 PM »
the Spitfire XIV optimised for 20k+ fighting is perked
the TA-152 optimised for high alt fighting is perked
the LA-7 optimised for low alt fighting is not perked....

Doesn't make sense? its not American either so it should be perked!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 01:33:57 PM »
I remember pulling an La-7 up to about 25,000ft in a Spit XIV. He only stayed up there for about 30 seconds after I turned to engage him.  He realized very quickly that the Spi XIV, which he seemed to think the La-7 dominated (probably based on prior encounters at low alt), was going to absolutely crush him up there.  He put the nose down, easily out dove me and escaped to the saftey of low alt.

Therein lies the problem.  The Ta152 and Spitfire Mk XIV are not world beaters down low, but they cannot escape to their zone of dominance on a moment's notice and if anything should be much above them they cannot climb without putting themselves at huge risk.  They are both potent aircraft, even down low, but it is harder to use them than it is the La-7 be a good margin.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 07:02:01 PM »
Here is what I do when I get a fast LA7 on my 6.  I will have enough of these to make a video soon.

http://webpages.charter.net/davegun/Pics/Auger.ahf

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 02:50:12 AM »
the La series perform poorly in a power dive. they can be out-dived by a 190. also the 190 has better control in a power dive because it has power steering (electric motors assisting control surfaces).

Offline helkos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 10:52:53 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak

Therein lies the problem.  The Ta152 and Spitfire Mk XIV are not world beaters down low, but they cannot escape to their zone of dominance on a moment's notice and if anything should be much above them they cannot climb without putting themselves at huge risk.

/signed

:aok

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 10:26:21 PM »
a question about the LA7. Does it have a supercharger ?
The reason i ask this is the P-51 has a 2 stage supercharger
if im not mistaken. As you pass through 13k the supercharger
doesnt work well til 17k then it hits the second stage and
Manifold pressure resumes. La7 has the same Manifold pressure
drop at the same alts. Then regains the same pressure at 17k
just like a 2 stage charger. If it doesnt have the 2 stage charger
shouldnt it's Manifold pressure continue to drop as you gain
more alt.

RWY

P.s im asking all this assuming im right about the 51.
Its been yrs sence i even played and my memorie isnt
what it use to be.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: ANY sort of weakness for La7!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 11:35:10 PM »
Aside from the current  less than stellar performance above mid-teens (which most planes endure) and 20 min flight time on full throttle, plane has no real downside at all---mebbe make wings rip in 500 mph dive?...had 1 keep up with my P47N last night at 20k for nearly 2 sectors, only way I stayed ahead was with wep..turn it off, he'd creep to <1k...I dove 500 mph to base, he kept 1 k back nearly all the way to deck...unreal

I don't get it. Why didn't you simply climb away, reverse and kill the damn thing? A P-47N simply owns an La-7 at 20k. Better acceleration, better climb, faster and if you're not hauling around too much fuel (never need more than 50%), you can defeat it in a turn fight. Any putz willing to follow you 2 sectors likely couldn't fight his way out of a nursing home restroom with submachine gun anyway. Don't worry about the other guy, make him worry about you.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 04:05:24 AM »
Smidsy, a 190 won't outdive an LA, specially not a 7.

Uhm... as far as power stearing goes, never heard anything about the 190's with powerstearing. They did have very good controll surfaces though and very balanced.

GunnrCAF, dangerous play ;)

Had the pilot been any better in that LA5 he would have easily pulled out using trim and cut throttle. But it worked so what a hell! :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.