Author Topic: killing torps in water  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Billy Joe Bob

• Nickel Member
killing torps in water
« on: September 25, 2005, 11:09:53 PM »
can you make it possible to rake a torp with MG fire and kill it?

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 05:28:12 AM »
I'm not sure if an MG bullet can reach a torp running at least 5 meters deep. The wake you see is actually the bubbles left from its "steam" motor.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 07:28:33 AM »
Torpedo bombing is hard enough as it is

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
killing torps in water
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 08:29:54 AM »
Kill it with a .50 cal bullet that maybe goes 1 foot in water? Naw, I'll pass.

Kill it with a 20mm exploding round that happens to hit close enough to set off a pressure wave? Emmmm maybe, just maybe.

Kill it with a 5" round that blows a big hole in the water, PLUS a big impact/pressure wave, YES!

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 11:50:37 AM »
I'll concede this only if 2 torps can take down any ship.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 12:47:12 PM »
A well-placed torp should take down the CV immediately though

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
It should? I thought that they were build to endure more than one hit from a torpedo??

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 04:33:48 PM »
I think one torp might do it, but only if the ship was sitting in port.

There is such a thing as watertight integrity. A ship that's being bombed at sea will be at general quarters. Unless there are secondary explosions, I wouldn't bet on one torp doing the trick.
sand

Offline Billy Joe Bob

• Nickel Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 06:31:14 PM »
well you could make torp bombing easier and torps a little faster, unless they are as fast as historically recorded already.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 07:29:42 PM »
They are as fast as they go.

However, how the Battle Group is modeled isn't correct.

As it is right now, it's going full speed ALL THE TIME.  The speed of the ships is 2-3 mph slower than the torps right now.

However, the ships could only do this for short periods of time.  

I don't remember what they should always be cruising at, but I think I recall someone saying half the speed.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
Torp Damage on CV's
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 07:39:04 PM »
The USS Lexington was sunk at the Battle of The Coral Sea's by 2 Torpedos and 3 bombs.

In comparison, AH CV's are much tougher.

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 05:26:46 AM »
funny story regarding nuclear torpedos:
a normal torpedo does not impact the ship but explodes under it. this causes a bubble to form under the water. the lack of support causes the ship's keel to break under the whieght. however with nuclear torpedos, the bubble is so huge that the entire ship sinks into it and is engulfed by water. HOWEVER AGAIN, if all the ships hatches are closed it will float to the surface.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 05:53:34 AM »
Smidsy, you say that normal torpedo's do not impact the ship, do you mean modern torpedoes with that? Because most of the WWII torpedoes actually did have to hit it

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
Re: Torp Damage on CV's
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 06:36:58 AM »
Originally posted by Softail
The USS Lexington was sunk at the Battle of The Coral Sea's by 2 Torpedos and 3 bombs.

No, it wasnt. Lexington was sunk because of secondary explosion of gas vapor from damaged fuel tanks. In fact it remains fully operational after all of these hits.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
killing torps in water
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 07:21:20 AM »
Originally posted by SMIDSY
funny story regarding nuclear torpedos:
a normal torpedo does not impact the ship but explodes under it. this causes a bubble to form under the water. the lack of support causes the ship's keel to break under the whieght. however with nuclear torpedos, the bubble is so huge that the entire ship sinks into it and is engulfed by water. HOWEVER AGAIN, if all the ships hatches are closed it will float to the surface.

WW2 torpedos did use impact fuses more often because they were much more reliable. Magnetic existed but had some malfunctions.

Also the calculations of how many torpedo hits a ship could endure are often pretty optimistic. So while it is claimed that a specific battleship or carrier could take a certain amount of torpedo hits they often were wrecked with less than half of that.