Author Topic: WWIIOL!! my review???  (Read 1261 times)

Offline ROOSTER3

• Zinc Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« on: June 28, 2001, 10:31:00 PM »
Well I have been playing AH for about A month now and just could not resised the chance to play WWIIOL... well to sum it up... it has future but it has A LONG way to go.. I spent 2 day's just trying to log on.. Once I got on things were not great but again had future. Un like AH this game is more of A ground Game.. Flying too easy but the ground game was very intense... This game is A RAM PIG min of 256 ... And A lot of glitches but I am sure they will work All thiss out soon just like AH has done but from A personel opinion I find my self coming back to AH.. So if you realy want to play WWIIOL be  ready to down A lot of stuff   and DEAL w/patches.. good luck the Rooster...

Offline Jase

• Zinc Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2001, 06:29:00 PM »
I played it for about two days, and while I had no problem logging on, the game is a joke.  If flying is what you are interested in, then forget it.  There is really to much to list about whats wrong, but every one of the problems is a showstopper.  10 frames per sec (t-bird 1.3 geforce ultra!) in fights.  Buggy buggy buggy coding.  Horrible flight models.  Want to look behind you?  Nope, no rear view.  Want to use your hat stick?  Nope, no support.  To sum it up, and steaming hot pile of cat poo is the only expression that comes to mind   :)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2001, 09:52:00 PM »
Jase, buy a real video card.. even I get higher FPS  ;)
(can you yourself turn your head 180 degrees? explains no rear view..)

109 actually has slats in WWII OL
Cannons are also über, kills buncha A13s. (yipee.. what a change after AH)  :D

Anyway, im not that critical towards WWII OL.. they just were forced to release it tad too early.
(Compare it to AH and its open beta and then years after)
So, I have hopes up for WWII OL, as it gets "finished" in real meaning.
Patch size? well, big files are more common today than 5 years back and highspeed connections are also very common today.
Im not going to have decreased game performance with ADSL, thanks to some modem users who squeakes about patch sizes. I prefer "bigger the better" ideology in patches.
Best thing in WWII OL must be its far by most dynamic battlefield.
Harder to guess opponents next move. (oh.. and you dont have any actual radar! thats what I love)
Another thing that I got to love, is close distances in dogfights. (if you want to hit, that is)
Of course im not praying this game to heights yet, but its something there hasnt been done yet.
so, thumbs up they get it finished and it'll be one of the best online games.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2001, 02:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fishu:

so, thumbs up they get it finished and it'll be one of the best online games.

$40 for an unfinished game? Yeah, right.  :) That's a lot of dough for you to finally find quake-like LW cannons.   :D

AKcurly

Offline Maxopti1

• Zinc Member
      • http://space.tin.it/io/msantona
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2001, 04:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly:

$40 for an unfinished game? Yeah, right.   :) That's a lot of dough for you to finally find quake-like LW cannons.    :D
AKcurly

Interesting comment ....... :rolleyes:

Is better spend 30$ + other 150$ of telephone connection for use a game with very more realistic characteristics.

Auto Trim
Auto Take off
Radar
Back vision
Of fantasy FM
Fake Gun profiles
Strange Damage profiles
Bugs that is repeated and they don't come resolved from at least 6 versions
Holes in the ground and invisible hills
Ghost airplanes
.... and so much other yet ..... :eek:

Do you know the history of that person that saw a straw in the eye of the others and didn't he notice the beam stuck in the his ???

AH, had the potential for become the Best WWII Flight sim, but in the time has taken a direction that probably is not the correct one, particularly, is not been wanted correct of the evident errors that have transformed the MA in QuakeA.

WWIIOnline has the potential for become the Best WWII Global sim, hour is soon for appraise in which direction will evolve, we give to their a year for grow and develop, we have done it with AH, I don't understand because not he could become with WWIIOnline or with anybody else product must appear on the market.

And however the two sim, are very different and imho are not comparable.

In AH, he is not in demand the cooperation, a solo could conquer a field , in WWIIOnline, a solo can only die.

Philosophies of play, very different. :D

Bau !

Maxo

P.S.:Who is without sin throws the first stone !

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2001, 06:05:00 AM »
Anyway, im not that critical towards WWII OL.. they just were forced to release it tad too early.
(Compare it to AH and its open beta and then years after)

Umm.. Weren't WW2OL and aces high started with about 2 months difference? Where AH fast developed into a very playable, evolving product, WW2OL release date was pushed and pushed month after month untill everyone lost their patience.

They were then forced to release (about time) their makings, which proved to be a mess beyond any belief.

Either the CRS just grabbed a little bit too big a bite with the project or they simply lack the skill needed to produce a playable MMOG.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2001, 08:10:00 AM »
I dont have an opinion on WWIIOL. I didnt buy it because I didnt want an unfinished product and also because I barely have enough free time as it is to fly AH.

(at least AH is free to download and try out)

My thought is that CRS ran out of money and needed the cash from sales to further the devolpment of the game. That's why it came out as it is and that is also why a lot of people feel shafted for their $40 (but it's $40 that ain't coming back :-) )
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2001, 08:53:00 AM »
Anyone who thinks you couldn't see behind you in a WWII plane is an idiot.

The LW guys all like WWII online so it has to be wrong.
lazs

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2001, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fishu:
(can you yourself turn your head 180 degrees? explains no rear view..)

I almost can to the right. Years of sitting in a tractor has given me a rubber neck from looking straight back for hours at a time. And if my life depended on it I could learn to twist it around even more  :)

And anyone that wants to argue  about WW2 being superior to AH needs a reality check.  I wish the rats well but based on the development up till now they are over a year  behind HTC. Seeing how they started around the same time you'll understand if I dont hold my breath.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
The kiddies(laz) dont like it because of the accurate gun modelling, more(It still aint right, but it's better than linda blair) accurate 6 view and the imperfect modelling.

Well, I know dik about WWII fighter plane FM, and I would wager that there are only 1 or 2 qualified to speak on it in AH(Toad is one), but the thing that is much, much better about the WWIIonline model is the damage model.

Again, the kiddies(laz) won't like it because it is complex enough that results are not gauranteed.  You can fill a hawk full of bullets and it may fly home, it just depends what you hit.  On the other hand, and infantry man can take out the hawk with one golden BB.  That is a nice feature, and it works like that for all vehicles in the game.

I don't fly it because I need more than 15 FPS in a furball, but I sure do have fun on the ground.

Also, most of the problems listed have solutions, like the hat views.  Mine work just fine, thank you very much.

In short, don't play it, play it, who cares, I'm having a ball in there every night.

p.s. Laz, I know your not a kid in age, just attitude.

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Gadfly ]

Offline BigBen

• Zinc Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
How to check six with an armor plate behind your head in 4 easy steps at moderate speeds:

1) Turn head
2) Apply rudder in direction of head turn
3) Counter roll (if desired) with opposite aileron
4) voila - 6 view.

If this isn't enough, if you're flying too fast for a good crab, or if the plane doesn't yaw/crab correctly due to FM issues:
1) Turn head
2) turn in direction of head turn (an aerial Crazy Ivan!)
3) Turn head other direction
4) Reverse turn
5) Resume original flight path

This might not work in all "restricted view" sims, but it sure would work in a real plane.

BB (returning to an AH MA near you in 3 months or less   :) )

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: BigBen ]

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2001, 10:56:00 AM »
LW guys all like WW2ol? laz1 you have an incredible habit of turning things into them and us arguements!

I play WW2ol at the moment and i havent been able to kill tanks with these so called uber guns.You think me and others who like LW planes are searching the net for a game with uber weapons? ok granted some might be but how the hell do you come to the conclusion that all LW fans want this?
I like WW2ol's ground war, i hardly play with the aircraft at the moment because they arent quite integrated into the game yet.Same as when we first got GVs in AH they really didnt have a lot of use because of the distances involved, then we got spawn points and they started to be more usefull.What i dont understand is this hate type campaign against WW2ol.It needs work this is true but at the moment it is like a free beta.my initial outlay of $40 has so far got me 3 weeks of play and will no doubt give me much more until they decide they can justify chargeing the fee.Seems like a fair deal to me.
AH is still the better game at the moment and i cant really see where the comparisons come in between the two games, AH is a Aircombat sim with gvs etc thrown in, and WW2ol seems to be a tank/infantry sim with planes thrown in.
I like both games simple as that.Why do we have to only like one?

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2001, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly:

$40 for an unfinished game? Yeah, right.   :) That's a lot of dough for you to finally find quake-like LW cannons.    :D

AKcurly

Hmmm

I've been playing Aces High for a year, subscriber through most of that but lets do some math, shall we?

WW2OL = $40  No charge for online play until they iron it out some more (fair, yes?)

Aces High  $30 x 12 = $360

Yet many are intensely critical of the $40 game's sins.  In Aces High, you can still see the propellor blades through the fuselage in the Lancaster, icons still disappear is various gunner positions, and we have all of 2 stunning maps to fly on, and have been promised more since February.  I haven't seen new ones after resets, as promised, have you?

Anyways, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, speaking up for WW2OL a bit since I think those that love Aces High, despite its high cost and persistent bugs seem to forget our game is much more expensive than WW2OL, when you add up all the receipts.

Aces runs on my machine nicely, WW2OL takes about 15 minutes to load it up and slow frame rates from there.  Choose your evil   :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
I'm not going to comment directly about WW2OL on an AH BBS.

I'll say this:

I do play it now that I replaced my previous 192 MB PC100 with 512MB of PC133 RAM.

I hope it works out for the Rats; anyone doing WW2 games are good folks in my book.

Concerning areas where WW2OL is supposedly superior to AH, there are several incredible statements in the various posts above that I absolutely do NOT agree with. In fact I find them total departures from reality.

That's all I have to say about it in this forum.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
WWIIOL!! my review???
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
I guess you didn't read the News today LePaul?   :)

bowser