Author Topic: Well, I dusted the joystick off....  (Read 625 times)

Offline Legend

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.pcfighterpilot.com
Well, I dusted the joystick off....
« on: September 26, 2005, 11:57:41 AM »
after hooking up the rudders, the X45 and the Saitek GM2 I went offline and started flying again (Old AW'r) in AHII. Took me a bit to get used to it but I think I like the dynamics and the bells and whistles that it has compared to AW.:aok

But, after about a day of that I decided it wasn't enough so of course I created an account and went to the training arena. Better in there than getting pounced on by a dweeb hunter:lol
As I entered the arena I got a feeling almost like coming home! There were live people in there! WooHoo! I haven't found one thing about AH that I don't like and I would like to give a BIG thanks to ReMax for letting me straff his PT in my Hog! That was the most fun I've had flying in about 4 years! And the best part is, I didn't lawn dart!:aok

Offline Fry

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 12:02:36 PM »
Welcome back, Legend.  Like you, I also just came here from AW after a few years off....and yes, it's very much feeling like home already:aok

Cya up!

Offline Legend

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 12:24:33 PM »
The funniest part of the whole thing was I took me almost an hour to learn how to land without doing a donut in the middle of the runway (As well as losing a wing and my gear!) :rofl

Offline Fry

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:50:36 PM »
Originally posted by Legend
The funniest part of the whole thing was I took me almost an hour to learn how to land without doing a donut in the middle of the runway (As well as losing a wing and my gear!) :rofl

LOL!  I've only about 20 sorties so far and of the maybe 5 that I've tried to land, I've only landed correctly (on my wheels, without damaging anything and ON the runway) only once, hehe.

I tend to ditch a lot and er...get kilt a lot more, so I my landing times are quite limited;)  Once I can live a bit longer, I'm sure to get more landing practice:)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 01:01:25 PM »
What aircraft do you two favor?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Fry

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 01:07:25 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
What aircraft do you two favor?

I've always liked the F6F Hellcat or a Spit, preferably the Mark IX. But I'll take a decent turner over any B&Z'er any day...I don't have the patience to B&Z;)  

And if I do, they both do well enough in that role before losing enough E to start angle fighting .

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 01:19:37 PM »
We should be getting reworked Spits in the next month or two.  I understand we are getting the Mk XVIe and maybe the LF.Mk VIII as well.

I'll be very happy if we get the LF.Mk VIII.  It'll definately be added to my favorites list.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Legend

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 01:23:15 PM »
I used to favor the 190 in AW. Still like it here too but the F4U kinda caught my favor Saturday night:D

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
F4u landings
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 01:25:59 PM »
Legend I am no expert, but when not doing carrier landings .
1. Try shutting engine off. Once that is not a problem .
2. Lower RPM and get to slower appoach. Helps to get tail wheel locked and not porpoise down the run way.

Hope this help some.

Bronk

P.S.  I.ve been playing about 9 months now. I still scatter f4u's
on runway when not realy paying attention to deatail .
See Rule #4

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 01:32:22 PM »
The F4U is a great fighter.  Get used to using the flaps at lower speeds to increase manuverability and you can pull things that most people simply won't expect.

In my opinion the F4U is the best overall fighter of WWII.

It does really need a graphics update though.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Legend

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 02:07:35 PM »
I always loved the F4U every since Baa Baa Black sheep back in the 70's :)  As far as landings go I kinda learned how to do it this way:

1)reduce speed to under 150
2) lower flaps and then gear
3)back throttle to 0
4) once I TD I hit the wheel brakes and when I get under 10 MPH I shut the engine off (Of course I'm feathering the rudder all the way)

It only took me about 20 crashes to get the hang of it :lol

Offline Fry

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 02:16:03 PM »
Here's how I did my one landing...and since it was my last sortie, I think I've figured it out.  I drop flaps and gear at about 150, throttle back to just about over 100.  When I touch down, I engage auto-level to keep my plane straight and cut my throttle.  Then I tap my brakes and engage my tail wheel by pulling back on the stick:)

Take this with a grain of salt as I've only tried that once, but it DID work, hehe.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 03:06:40 PM »
once on the ground and slow enough, pull stick back 3/4's to lock tail wheel - easier to stay straight that way
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline scott123

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 09:18:56 AM »
Always do a main gear landing in the f4u,never a 3 pointer.just let the tail wheel settle of its own accord,trust me that's how new pilots were taught.;)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 09:59:39 AM »
The trick to landing any plane is to bind the Keys C and V as left and right brakes.

It's really easy to control any landing.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"