Author Topic: F-16 Canopy Jettison  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« on: September 26, 2005, 09:05:09 PM »
Here's some good sequence photos of an F-16B/D canopy jettison systems test.  Just FYI it takes 4 good size men to safely carry those canopys.  I beleive they weigh 300lbs +

This all happens in less than a second after the lanyard is pulled.

EDIT:  Just noticed.  No parachutes in them ACES II seats.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:08:40 PM »
sand

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 03:07:35 AM »
Isn't it pretty risky standing so close when it jettison?
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 03:18:25 AM »
I was thinking the same. At least I'd hide under the wing untill it came down. :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 03:36:07 AM »
nice!

Id like to strap those 2 rockets to my bike. :)

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 03:49:49 AM »
One weekend at the reserve F-4 squadron where I was stationed a reservist was sent to perform some task in the cockpit of a bird scheduled for a flight. But he didn't know how to open the canopies. He saw the little panel on the side "Jettison Canopy" and figured that must be it. Unfortunately the flying canopy landed on the wing and punched a hole in the skin. Downed the bird for a long time. Dang.

Nice pics.

Regards,

Cement

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 03:52:36 AM »
Heh the guy who sent him to do a job without proper instructions probably hoped it would have landed on his head.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:40:25 AM »
The way the guy is leaning it seems like he is pulling something.  Is he activating the test?

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 07:04:37 AM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992
The way the guy is leaning it seems like he is pulling something.  Is he activating the test?

Yeah he's pulling a lanyard to activate the canopy jett system. It's used for ground crew to rescue a disabled pilot from a bad situation such as crash landing, or fire , when the canopy is jamed, or there is no time to open correctly.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 08:34:20 AM »
just FYI  this is a test and that is the only way to pop the canopy from the outside of the AC on the ground.  The lanyard that you pull is 6 ft long.  The guy is wearing protective gear as well.  The canopy itself when jettisoned usually ends up on the left/AFT side of the AC.

Offline seabat

• Copper Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 09:13:03 AM »
Just curious,

How often is this type of test performed?

Besides the obvious, why is the test performed on jets assigned to squadrons? (assuming the jet is assigned by the crew chief's name on the fuselage)

It seems very little damage is present in the close up of the cockpit other than scorch marks.  How much damage does happen during such tests?

If it was a Marine, would he/she have just caught the canopy?  :)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 09:38:53 AM »
If it was a Marine, they would have just punched the falling canopy out of the air, sending it back to land on the plane.  No canopy is gonna tell him what to do, and unlike the other services, the Marines don't have the budget to go wasting all that money on a new canopy, even if they wanted the F-16 (which they don't, F-16s are for nimrods.  What are you looking at?).

If it was an Army guy, the lanyard would be pulled from the tow hitch of a Bradley so the guys inside would be safe.  Remember, only YOU can prevent mishaps!

If it was a Naval aviator, the jettisoned canopy would safely land in a padded wheelbarrow, then the plane would be pushed into a river.

If it was a Navy SEAL, on the other hand, a couple of well placed slices with the K-Bar would sever the hydraulic lines, allowing the canopy to be removed in the middle of the night without anyone knowing.  

An army Ranger, of course, would be able to remove the canopy with a series of precisely laid strips of primacord, and could be halfway out of the country by the time the neatly sliced pieces hit the ground in a symmetrical flower of smoking plastic.

The coast guard, not knowing what the fuss was all about, would simply extract the canopy from a hovering Dolphin helicopter, then deliver it to the roof of the maintenance bay.  Hope they've got a ladder!

The national guard, I fear, might remove the windshield of the fuel truck by mistake.

Hope I offended everyone just a little....
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 09:41:05 AM by Chairboy »
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 10:05:48 AM »
ROFLMAO, Chairboy!
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 01:23:54 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Hope I offended everyone just a little....
LOL Chairboy.  I think you missed one opportunity at offending people.  What would an Air Force pilot or airman do?

MiG

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
F-16 Canopy Jettison
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 01:30:23 PM »
Originally posted by seabat
Just curious,

How often is this type of test performed?

Besides the obvious, why is the test performed on jets assigned to squadrons? (assuming the jet is assigned by the crew chief's name on the fuselage)

It seems very little damage is present in the close up of the cockpit other than scorch marks.  How much damage does happen during such tests?

If it was a Marine, would he/she have just caught the canopy?  :)

To me this looks like an "B" model wich is outdated.  From the painting on the fusalage (IE the rescue painting and colored triangles) it doesn't look like this is an active Jet.

In addition the seats don't have parachutes in them.

After canopy jettison the plane is completely reusable except for the canopy transperancies.

I don't know the history behind the test but I do know they do this to check out new explosives components and to certify them.