Author Topic: Question for the tinfoil hatters:  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Question for the tinfoil hatters:
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2005, 01:01:32 PM »
When Clintons democrats passed the assault weapons ban the democratic party lost power the following election and have not regained it since.

the vast majority of democrats who surivived the initial power shift stayed under the sheets when the ban expired.

Only a fools fool would contest this basic reality.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2005, 02:32:27 PM »
I think Bush Sr would have lost even with the "gun vote".  With the gun vote Bush probably would have been able to keep things close in 1992, rather than getting buried in a landslide.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2005, 06:30:17 PM »
"Read my lips" is what sunk Sr.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2005, 06:56:12 PM »
When Bush Sr. turned his back on the NRA that's when I turned my back on him.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2005, 08:09:20 PM »
Lets not forget the Perot factor

The 1992 Presidential Election
In 1992 Bill Clinton was elected president with 43.0% of the vote, the fourth lowest percentage in American history. Perhaps more strikingly, he also won only a single state -- his home state of Arkansas -- with a majority of the vote. In fact, the majority of voters in 49 out of 50 states opposed the candidate who collected all of their state's electoral college votes. As shown in Appendix 1, most states were won by less than 45% of the vote, ranging down to Clinton's victory in Nevada with 37%.

These plurality victories were the result of Ross Perot's strong presidential challenge. Despite pre-election polls that demonstrated he had little chance to win, Perot gained 19% of the national vote and won over 15% of the vote in 38 states, ranging up to 30% in Maine and a second place finish in Utah with 27%. Perot's vote was greater than the margin of victory in 49 states, including the 15 states decided by less than 5%. (See Appendix 1.) Perot was within 15% of capturing 8 states and 20% of capturing 12 more, including such large states as Texas, Ohio and Wisconsin.

Many potential independent presidential contenders must be weighing how well Perot would have run if he had stayed in the race throughout 1992 and if polls had shown that he a credible chance to win. A study in the Roper Center's publication The Public Perspective, based on data from the American National Election Study, concluded that Perot was the favorite of a clear-cut plurality of voters, but that many of his supporters chose not to vote for him because of his standing in the polls.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 08:12:25 PM by Gunslinger »

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2005, 08:15:42 PM »
Viva la revolution!!

The Federal Government must go down!!

(And this from an employee of said govt)
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime

Over the top my ass!!

"Bah.. never happen here.. this is America!!"

It's happening here, pal. Happening NOW.

Look man... compairing Aushwitz to Ruby Ridge is so fluffied up that I can't even believe that I'm responding to this rant.
Aushwitz? You think THAT'S an apt anology for the United States Government? Sure there are problems, sure there are abuses. Always have been and always will be. But please take a can of beans, some tinfoil, and a shotgun, go sit in the woods and leave the Jews and Aushwitz out of it. It's insulting.

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2005, 09:18:39 PM »
Originally posted by SkyWolf
Look man... compairing Aushwitz to Ruby Ridge is so fluffied up that I can't even believe that I'm responding to this rant.
Aushwitz? You think THAT'S an apt anology for the United States Government? Sure there are problems, sure there are abuses. Always have been and always will be. But please take a can of beans, some tinfoil, and a shotgun, go sit in the woods and leave the Jews and Aushwitz out of it. It's insulting.

What is done to all the American people by those ****heads in DC is insulting
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2005, 09:38:29 PM »
U.S. population - 290,000,000

U.S. military - 1,427,000

Somehow, I don't think the government can do much.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2005, 09:42:34 PM »
Originally posted by AdmRose
U.S. population - 290,000,000

U.S. military - 1,427,000

Somehow, I don't think the government can do much.

You say this now.  That number becomes more relevent when you are fighting an un-armed population.

In additon concentration camps is one extreme of the tangable argument.  For those of you who don't think it could happen let me remind you of the Jap-Americans during WWII.  Granted they weren't gassed or baked in ovens, there freedomes were abbirdged.  It is yet another extreme example in an entirly tangable discussion.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2005, 09:43:14 PM »
What is it, Half of all Americans are gun owners?  Or was it there was enough guns to go around for half of all Americans?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2005, 09:45:08 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
You say this now.  That number becomes more relevent when you are fighting an un-armed population.

In additon concentration camps is one extreme of the tangable argument.  For those of you who don't think it could happen let me remind you of the Jap-Americans during WWII.  Granted they weren't gassed or baked in ovens, there freedomes were abbirdged.  It is yet another extreme example in an entirly tangable discussion.

1/4 of all American adults own guns. There are enough guns in America owned by private citizens to give every American adult one.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2005, 11:04:20 PM »
I still haven't seen a motive for why the government needs to clamp down on the people it already controls.  The only possible motive from that line of thought is they're afraid of a potential revolt, which creates a sort of comical situation of dual-paranoia (citizens who don't trust a government that doesn't trust its citicens).

I don't think government is inherentently evil; but rather the evil results from misguided and bungled attempts to do good.  I laugh at the thought that something like the 1934 and 1968 gun laws were passed so that the evil government could better oppress the people.  No, the people who passed those laws wanted to make the country a better place.

In many cases the end result is still bad.  The end result isn't what I'm interested in here.  I'm just wondering if the people worried about the government--the "tinfoil hat crowd"--might be fixated on the wrong enemy.  It's not the evil government who wants to take away their rights, but their fellow citizens who "know better".  

In other words, don't treat the symptoms; look for the cause.

J_A_B

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2005, 11:06:28 PM »
Originally posted by Shamus
"Read my lips" is what sunk Sr.

shamus

Bingo... that and Perot.
sand

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2005, 11:16:38 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
It's not the evil government who wants to take away their rights, but their fellow citizens who "know better".  

In other words, don't treat the symptoms; look for the cause.

J_A_B

Seems to me the people who knew better in Great Brittan and Australia are now reaping what they sowed.

In a round about way anyway.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:45:12 PM by Wolf14 »