Author Topic: The patriotic thieves  (Read 672 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
The patriotic thieves
« on: September 20, 2001, 10:27:00 PM »
I put out a flag last week; hung on a pole from a bracket off the porch...  it was gone the next morning.

Had another, much larger flag, hung it from the facia board on the front of the house... gone Saturday .

Got the battle ensign off my boat; nailed that one to the shingled side of the house.. yup. Gone. Along with the one on my truck antenna.

I think I'll buy about 25 more, put up another and just leave the rest of 'em in a basket on the porch with a lil sign.

"Please, if you must; help yourself to ONE, but LEAVE MINE FLYING HERE FOR MY PALS DOWNTOWN".

Hope my teenage klepto gets into the military soon, gets assigned to service and supply, and puts his talents to better use.   :)

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Hangtime ]
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline majic

• Silver Member
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2001, 10:43:00 PM »
Good reaction hangtime.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2001, 10:52:00 PM »
i've never seen so many flags around town as now. sorry to hear that hang, they are flyin high in san fran(people and the flags that is...)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2001, 11:11:00 PM »
I always thought of my self as a pretty macho dude.  I have had one small weakness though.  From time to time over the years, when I look up at the flag my eyes would get a little moist. Nothing I couldn't cover up with the old, I got a cinder in my eye, trick. But just a little moist.

However, A few days ago I pulled up to a light.  There was a  store across the way.  In front of it they had a huge American flag.  It was at half mast.  I completely lost it.  I don't know why it effected me so. I've seen it all before. But it hit me hard for some reason.

So anyway, do I take my macho card somewhere to turn it in?  Or do I just tear it up?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2001, 11:38:00 PM »
ya bronze it.   ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2001, 07:46:00 AM »
Local flag sewing co, Flags Unlimited, is 4 to 6 weeks back logged with orders from around the globe <S>

For those wanting to print a 8.5" by 11" one, here's  a nice Flag

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Eagler ]
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2001, 07:49:00 AM »
Easymo, never believe for a moment that tears of sorrow and patriotic feelings are a sign of weakness.  They are, indeed, a sign of strength.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
I have been permanantly flying the US flag since the week we moved into our house (about 1.5 years ago).  It's tattered and I was thinking of replacing it and then... K-zam!  Wer'e at war, no flags to be found (like I even tried to look).  
I contemplated flying one from my collection, I have a 15', an old 48 star, a 49 star (Alaska  :) ), and one that flew over the White House.  I don't want to risk any of them.
Besides, my old tattered one is probably the least likely flag one the block to be stolen.

eskimo

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
All this flag waving has also created another small problem for me.  Bikers have always had the habit sticking a flag somewhere on their leathers, or on their bikes.   There are so many flags out there now that its hard for me to recognize my people.  Guess I'll have to go back to looking for the bugs in there teeth.

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Helmet hair is another good sign easymo.  :D

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2001, 04:11:00 PM »
Helmet?  Whats that.  :)

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
Finland's most important newspaper Helsingin Sanomat reported that there have been thieves among the rescue personnel at WTC. Cash registers appear to be broken and watches and jewelry have been stolen. Any reports on US about this?
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
Jochen I read last night that there have been arrests of people who dressed up like rescue workers (hardhats etc) and robbed some of the shops.  I would have a hard time arguing against a "shoot on sight" rule for these swine.

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
The patriotic thieves
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2001, 02:44:00 AM »
Ah, so they were not actual rescue workers... I would have had hard time to believe it!
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!