Author Topic: Manned 88's at fields  (Read 1060 times)

Offline slimpikn

• Zinc Member
Manned 88's at fields
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:49:49 PM »
The current manned field guns are pretty useless. You cannot hit crap unless someone flies right over you and then your chances are still slim. But manned 88's? Now THAT would be field defense.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 11:15:05 AM »
You got that right! :aok

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline nn76240

• Copper Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 02:39:07 PM »
i would have to agree with that one. but maby it would be used to mutch. maby just 1 88 at a base would be good.

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:50:49 PM »
manned 88 good idea
2 at a small field
4 at a medium field of which one is located in the town
6 at a large field  of which 2 are located in or near the town
just a through
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 02:52:25 PM »
What most people think is if they make 88mms manable they are going to be 5"ers. 88mms had timed fuses so they pop at alt to bring down bombers. not shot and watch the proxy fuse do the work.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 03:12:44 PM »
Then have a .alt command and give it a 1k buffer each way

IE:
Estimate that buffs are at 10k
.alt 10.0
fire
Buffs are at 9k
shells explode near the buffs
(the closer you estimate the more damage)

IE:
Estimate that buffs are at 10k
.alt 10.0
fire
Buffs are at 8k
shells fly past and explode but do no damage

you could use vox to communicate with friendlies for an accurate alt

Offline PrillerJ

• Zinc Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 09:38:15 AM »
How abt this?

*88 mm Flak vehicle, speed of a sdkfz but you have too rig it upp before use, say 15 sec and same if you wanna move 15 sec too get it back too driving position. Ammo abt 100 rnds?

Pros: Great vs 4-5k+ planes
Cons: Stationary target, so lacks movment as deffence, slow rate of fire, limited ammo, limited armour.

*Borfors 40mm, same as 88mm too rig upp, 15 sec. Ammo abt 400 rnds?

Pros: Fill the role between 88mm and ostwind, proxy fuse and realitive high ROF so great for giving a good barage.
Cons: Stationary target when in fireing position, limited ammo vs ostwind, limited armour.

*Type 2 20 mm Twin AA Machine Cannon. The japanees used the Type 98 singel 20mm on truks as mobil AA like the US M16, not sure if they used the Type 2 or 4 on truks but since Type 2 is same size as Type 98 only with dual instead of singel 20mm I guess it may have been used since it would not implement any logistical problems.(could ofc use the german Sdkfz with a dual 20mm but hey a Type 2 or 4 is atleast somewhat exoitic =P)

Pros: Fills role between US 50cal and ostwind.  
Cons: Not the same ammo storage or manuverability as the M16  

Type 2
Type 4
Type 98 on truck
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 09:56:00 AM by PrillerJ »

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 05:47:49 AM »
Flak 36 {88's}

Bofors

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 12:21:18 PM »
C'mon MOIL, say it. We know you're biting your tongue.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 01:46:29 PM »
Watched 8 fighters circle a field last night. P-51s mostly. No attack on the town. No bombing. Just circle at 3K. Until somebody tried to take off. They then would nose over come screaming down, smoke the guy and zoom back to 3K and circle. Eventually what few pilots we had gave up.

What the ground based defenders had couldn't touch them. Chances of an Osti hitting one on a high speed pass is mostly luck. You can't even see your tracer stream unless it is dark. Maybe quad bofors mounts, although I don't know if they could reach that far. I do know that to hit much with the Osti (unless they are coming at you) you need somebody that can say: "Hello, my names Boone, Daniel Boone."

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 11:58:30 PM »
Originally posted by Lye-El
Watched 8 fighters circle a field last night. P-51s mostly. No attack on the town. No bombing. Just circle at 3K. Until somebody tried to take off. They then would nose over come screaming down, smoke the guy and zoom back to 3K and circle. Eventually what few pilots we had gave up.

What the ground based defenders had couldn't touch them. Chances of an Osti hitting one on a high speed pass is mostly luck. You can't even see your tracer stream unless it is dark. Maybe quad bofors mounts, although I don't know if they could reach that far. I do know that to hit much with the Osti (unless they are coming at you) you need somebody that can say: "Hello, my names Boone, Daniel Boone."

The Bofors gun would reach an enemy A/C at 3k, may not hit them right away, but would definately make them keep thier distance {or you would think}

Most in the game {notice I didn't say ALL} will not hesitate to dive on or attack an Ostwind or M16. Trust me I know.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 04:17:51 AM »
AH is a flight sim.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 04:22:40 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 12:14:23 PM »
Originally posted by Bruv119
AH is a flight sim.

Give the man a cigar! With tanks, boats, anti aircraft, towns, cities, factories, torpedos, trucks, LVTs, Vehicle bases.

Actually more of a combat sim.

If you are fighting aircraft in the air, man to man, rather than hovering over a base trying to pick aircraft off with 0 airspeed and 0 altitude you have nothing to fear from air defense. :D

Now, blowing the wings off vulchers and vulcher wannbes, that is fun! :rofl

Makes them wanna run home to Momma. The big bad man shot me while I was bounceing and zooming aircraft that were trying to take off. He's ruining my score. :cry

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 05:05:34 PM »
Osti's are easy to take out.  I just "volunteer" one of my squad mates to be the bait.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
Manned 88's at fields
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 02:12:49 AM »
Originally posted by Bruv119
AH is a flight sim.

Ahh,  your second post

And NO it isn't a flight SIM {look up SIMULATION}

It's a ww2 combat game with most emphasis placed on WW2 aircraft