Author Topic: Windows XP registry problem...  (Read 212 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Windows XP registry problem...
« on: September 30, 2005, 11:40:56 AM »
Hi Guys,

Still not able to get airborne as my AH2 PC is still out of operation. I picked up a new HDD (the old one had a platter going out), loaded a new copy of XP, and transfered most of my files (except the corrupt ones). 2 Questions:

1) Does anyone know how to copy the Windows XP registry from the old HDD to the new one? I really don't want to lose my settings.
2) If I can't do number 1, does anyone know where the AH2 registry settings are located (is there a separate 'hive')?

Sorry about this, I was very conversant with the old 98SE .dat files, but the new registry system has me flumoxed.
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 10:38:39 PM »
I know that if you open your reg in XP SP2 you can export it (which is what I did as a backup for myself) then if/once you've exported it you can just backup that file. However I just did a search and I can't remember where the file is and what it's called.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Windows XP registry problem...
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 02:26:27 AM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
1) Does anyone know how to copy the Windows XP registry from the old HDD to the new one? I really don't want to lose my settings.

Provided your old XP is not completly dead  start "migwiz.exe" it will help you backup your data.
But it's never a good idea to retrieve parametre from a damaged system, you've been warned :)

2) If I can't do number 1, does anyone know where the AH2 registry settings are located (is there a separate 'hive')?[/B]

All the files and data needed by AH are in the AH folder backup the whole dir. copy it elsewhere , it work :)

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 02:52:33 AM »
New installation with old registry = hosed.

I highly reccommend not doing it.