Author Topic: I may get laid off on Monday, July 9th.  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
I may get laid off on Monday, July 9th.
« on: July 03, 2001, 08:34:00 PM »
Impending layoffs were announced at my company on Thursday, June 28th that would occur on Monday, July 9th.  :(

I know that one or more members of the QA department will be laid off.  I am among the 5 people that make up the QA department.  It is possible that they could lay off the entire San Francisco QA department, but that would be stupid so I don't think it'll happen.

I truly have no idea if I am going to be one of those laid off on Monday.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2001, 09:22:00 PM »
Man!  That sucks!

Sorry to hear about anyone or any company laying people off.

I went thru many layoff sessions at my work place and always managed to avoid all of them.

Harrowing time though!  

Good Luck!!  I keep my fingers crossed for ya!!   :)
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2001, 09:28:00 PM »
Good luck to you Karnak!

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2001, 09:49:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that Karnak.  :(

I've been through it a number of times myself in the last few years. I hope things work out in your favor.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2001, 09:56:00 PM »
Good Luck Karnak!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2001, 10:37:00 PM »
I believe that my company is hiring. Send me an email.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2001, 12:05:00 AM »
welcome to the bay area unemployment club.

ay my job they laid off just enough people to not get attention - about 250. then they offered the rest of us massive paycuts, more duties and ridiculous working conditions so we would leave on our own. pretty schmart huh-

the rest that were left got a chance to move to arizona or thousand oaks.....joy. good way to avoid just firing everyone. come on across the bridge someday we'll get really drunk and panhandle.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
Thanks guys.   :)

I'm not worried about myself.  I am not one of those Americans that are 1 paycheck from the streets.  I probably have 6 months before my Mortgage payments drain my savings, and that's assuming I don't get any job.  I'm sure that I can get a job within 1 week if I'm not picky, and full time at only $13.00 an hour will pay all of my bills.

The ironic thing is that if I don't get laid off, I'll probably get a raise.

The people I'm worried about are people like my boss (I think he stands a good chance of being laid off) who has a family to worry about and the Fillipino programer who would have to leave the US 10 days after being laid off (I would be very surprised if she is laid off, she's one of the three people designing the backend archetecture (sp) for the new version of our product).

I'll make it either way.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
Good luck, mate!

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
I hardly ever say this but ain't we all glad that the Republican's have the White House now   :(

Hope it works out for the best for you . They have been laying off the new people left and right for the last 4 weeks here in Michigan . Factory jobs , yes but they buy stuff that we all use also .

I still have to call u SIR also , I "see" your up to four stars already , hehe .

take care
spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2001, 08:39:00 AM »
Keep the faith, Karnak. Even if you lose your job, all is not lost. America truly is the land of opportunity, even with the Republicans in charge of the Executive branch.  ;)

I have a B.S. in Music Education, and was a Band Director for five years. When I got fed up with everything that goes along with being a teacher(low pay, high stress, discipline problems, parental apathy, etc...) I resigned my position. I was out of work for 4 days, and then got my first job in the computer industry.
It was a humble first job, mind you, but in five years I worked my way up to software development, and now I have a great job in the largest computer company in the world.

My point is...this is one country where you can actually change careers relatively quickly and successfully, if you're smart and can sell yourself.

I hope you don't lose your job, Karnak. But if you do, there is opportunity out there. Good luck my friend.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2001, 08:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by banana:
Keep the faith, Karnak. Even if you lose your job, all is not lost. America truly is the land of opportunity, even with the Republicans in charge of the Executive branch.   ;)

I have a B.S. in Music Education, and was a Band Director for five years. When I got fed up with everything that goes along with being a teacher(low pay, high stress, discipline problems, parental apathy, etc...) I resigned my position. I was out of work for 4 days, and then got my first job in the computer industry.
It was a humble first job, mind you, but in five years I worked my way up to software development, and now I have a great job in the largest computer company in the world.

My point is...this is one country where you can actually change careers relatively quickly and successfully, if you're smart and can sell yourself.

I hope you don't lose your job, Karnak. But if you do, there is opportunity out there. Good luck my friend.

What company would that be banana?  I'm getting my master's in Software Engineering in a month and might be looking for a job change...
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by airspro:
I hardly ever say this but ain't we all glad that the Republican's have the White House now    :(
spro

Yeah, and isn't it amazing that it only took them about 5 1/2 months to totally tank the economy.

There were certainly no warning signs that this was coming during the last two years of the Democratic reign.  :rolleyes:

Check this out for a quick refresher; notice the DATE of the report:
 http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200012/28/eng20001228_58995.html

Thursday, December 28, 2000, updated at 08:34(GMT+8)

"The Conference Board, one of the leading US business research groups, said in a survey that the Composite Index of Leading Economic Indicators stands at 105.3, down 0.2 percent in November following a revised 0.3 percent drop in October and a 0.1 percent rise in September.
Since the high of 106.3 in January of this year, the leading index was down in eight of the past 10 months, the survey said, adding that this is in sharp contrast to a 1.5 to 2 percent gain annually in previous years.
The index is pointing to "significantly slower growth in the first half of 2001," said Conference Board economist Ken Goldstein."

Let's see.. BEFORE the bloody election the index was DOWN in 7 of the PREVIOUS 9 months and down in November as well making it 8 for 10.

...and you want to hang this TOTALLY on a Republican in the White House right?

Might as well toss in California's energy crunch. It got the most news AFTER the Republican went into 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, so it must be HIS fault. Nothing could have occured to cause it before that, I'm sure.

Now little Georgie may or may not turn out to be considered a "good" President. That remains to be seen.

However, hanging this on him after less than 6 months while totally ignoring what went on the previous year is a bit much.

Remember what happened to the DOW between Jan '00 and April '00? Remember the warnings then?

Didn't think so.....

:rolleyes:

Karnak, good luck again. Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but ... man, how can people forget history so d*mn fast....

Sorry.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
Toad,

Right on the numbers !  

Keep in mind that Clinton reaped the benfits of a great Economy that was started by the Replican white house in the 80's.   Almost nothing economic happens over night.  It takes years in most cases to see major LASTING changes.

Vati
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2001, 10:55:00 AM »
airspro,

Actually I've never bought into the idea that either political party has any significant effect on the economy.  I don't believe that this slowdown is the fault of any politician or politicians.

The fault of many, many naive investors and venture capitalists?  Maybe so.

Thanks again guys.  I have full confidence in my abilities and skills.  I don't think that I'll have any problems getting by.  This is comming from a pessimist.

I am also not following the stereotype of a Liberal in looking for assistance or handouts (that is the stereotype you Conservatives buy into, right?), rather I am taking full responsibility for myself and trusting in my abilities and skills to see me through.  :p
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-