Author Topic: Redneck Technology!  (Read 639 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Redneck Technology!
« on: July 05, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
I love this toejam!
 http://www.goldmann.com/spudgun.html

Guy I work with has one of these.  We were using it yesterday but had to shut it down because we were dropping spuds a little too near some docks across a bay about 300 yards away.   :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
LOL Funked!

I've read extensively about the Spud War.

The greatest of all aces in the Great Potato War, Oberst Baron von KartoffelKopf, never mentions anything beyond 55 meters for the "sure kill" in his memoirs.

Of course, this wasn't using a good solid Idaho.

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2001, 02:13:00 PM »
I hate to cross-thread, but this is the sort of thing that I would have had my bellybutton beaten for when I was a kid.  :)
sand

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
Way to go, Idaho!  :D

I definitely need one of those for my collection.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »
Did you read the part where Goldmann is asking to sell his SpudGun business for...

hold on to something...

$70,000

yes... that's

$70,000!!!
sand

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
$70,000? pretty inexpensive if you consider a potential.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
LOL! Potential? for lawsuits.

AKDejaVu

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
Ahhh, my old hobby has reached the big time. Back in the mid eighties, my buddies and I used to dabble in "tater" guns (correct terminology; "spud" came along after it was yankee-ized)  :)

Anyways, first one I ever saw was made of 4-5 steel coke cans (yeah, that long ago) duct taped together. My buddy was half crazy, he used carbide pebbles with a little water would create a vapor, hold a lighter to the hole, and BOOM with capital B. That joker had some power. I have no idea how it didn't just rupture the soda cans.

Later on came the PVC pipe guns, powered by right guard aerosol. Oh, the trips down memory lane.  :D

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
huh huh...he said..."tatter"

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2001, 07:16:00 PM »
Unbelievable...

Incredible...

I am stunned...

Why not use the easier and less dangerous things then fuel-air detonation and simply add a potato-adapter to an ordinary rifle or even a 12 caliber hunting gun? Or - a signal rocket launcher, but with special 12 caliber ammo? I think such a "device" must be legal, since gas-guns (you know, the ones that look like real firearms but shoot special ordnance w/o projectiles, but with CN or CS tear-gas, or simple "noise" ammo)  are legal even here in Russia... Just make sure you modify the gun so it can't shoot normal ammo - and here we go!

Damn, you can make a clip-loading semiautomatic spudgun using something like a cheap Tula MTs-81 (IIRC) 12caliber semiauto without a real barrel and a simple device that loads spuds (a-la paintball markers, or even spring-action)!

Oh  :( just read this:
 http://www.goldmann.com/spudgun/atfletter.html

Hmm... Maybe using a 12 caliber "rocket-launcher" or a gas-gun with a "potato adapter" is legal even according to this paper...

Anyway, it's another proof that Americans are a crazy nation  ;) For me it was much more interesting to design something like a small handgun shooting lead bullets  :) I am happy that the damn thing didn't explode in my hand  :)

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2001, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
LOL! Potential? for lawsuits.

AKDejaVu

I was joking DJV (thought it was obvious without those silly  :)). $2500 for a potato shooter...

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2001, 08:01:00 PM »
Once upon a time a bar owner near where I lived was making potato shooting guns out of pvc pipes etc.  One of my friends had one.  To use it all you had to do was unscrew the back and spray a little bit of hairspray in there.  You then turned a little wheel and then, hopefully, it ignited and the potato came out the other end.  :D

Of course being teenagers at the time we decided that potatos alone were not good enough.  We figured out that 1/2 a potato, then some other payload, then the other 1/2 of the potato on top delivered interesting results.  Dog food was an interesting payload, as were rotten apples fallen off the trees.

The BEST however, IMO, was when we found a pair of underwear, complete with uh ... "racing stripes."  :eek:  We loaded those babies up and fired, aiming for a group of bushes in the nearby woods.  Unfortuantely the wind had other ideas and they ended up right near the VERY top of a 100 ft tall Douglas Fir tree.  Green and White (and some brown) being high contrast colors, they were soon spotted by my friend's parents.  They weren't exactly thrilled and we spent the rest of the day trying to shoot them out of that tree.  The payload of choice for this task was apple in the bottom, canned dog food, then rotten apple on top.  I'm sure we hit it, but those underwear were in there for good.  Soon we were out of rotten apples and hairspray so we just left them there.  Fortunately the wind took care of the underwear and we properly disposed of them.  :D

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
Redneck Technology!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2001, 02:16:00 AM »
Have to say that the tennis ball gun I saw at a machine gun shoot was the best.

A guy took an old Mauser and cut the barrel to about 15 inches.  Then he capped the end, drilled three holes sideways through the barrel and threaded the outside.  

He took a foot-long silver tube (looked like a silencer from a dirt bike) and screwed it down over the barrel so the three holes were inside it.  Then he'd stuff a tennis ball down the tube.  He used special hand-loads (about 50% powder with the end crimped) to fire it.  When shot straight up in the air, a yellow tennis ball would almost go out of sight on a clear day.  We figured he was getting about 500 yards out of it.  I always figured it be a great riot control weapon  :)

BTW, do you know what a Redneck fortune cookie is?  

- A piece of cornbread with a food stamp in it.