Author Topic: why AH dosn't "feel" like flying... turn off the friggin autopilot  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
I guarantee that if you do as I have done and unmap all autopilot and combat trim keys you will:

1. actually fly the plane where it is going instead of just when you get there.
2. it will feel like you are flying a plane
3. it will behave like a real plane in subtle ways undetectable with autopilot on.
4. you will notice throttle change, speed and torq effects because the autopilot wont compensate for them.
5. you will be a better stick and rudder pilot because you will actually get practice holding an airspeed while climbing, trimming your airplane, flying the direction you want to go etc while not in direct air combat but on the way to it.
6. it will become second nature just flying the plane and after a while you wont even want the autopilot keys.

or if your lazy keep the autopilot on, its there for just this reason.
but your missing out.

others agree that unmapping these keys is the only way to keep from "cheating" and using them in spite of trying not to since its so much easier.

try it once in a while. it makes a big difference.

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 12-14-2000).]
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Nath-BDP

why AH dosn't "feel" like flying... turn off the friggin autopilot
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2000, 02:08:00 PM »
You play Aces High too much.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2000, 02:10:00 PM »
you're right. time to stop  

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2000, 02:23:00 PM »
I like to fly long buff missions in manual mode, it's less boring if you have something to do (keeping a constant speed, altitude and heading). I discovered how much fun it can be to fly the plane by yourself in a loooong flight (3,5 hours) from Chicago Meigs to NY JFK in FS2000, flying the NATS DC-3 made by Bill Rambow, Roy Chaffin and Jan Visser.

Offline discod

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.millionaire.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2000, 02:25:00 PM »
I agree you play to much....uh....but so do I  

Anyway I'll support your theory because I did it for a few months and it really improved my flying and fighting skills.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2000, 02:33:00 PM »
Don't listen! He's trying to lower your SA so he can bounce you easier!

eskimo

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2000, 04:41:00 PM »
Unmap autopilot!?
Heck no!
When I use autopilot, I am probably:
Taking a wizz.
Changing the babies diaper.
Scrounging up a snack.
Typing a stupid coment.
Checking strat.
Calibrating my stick.
and so on...

I guess it's amazing how seldom I get hosed while I am AFK!

eskimo

eskimo

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2000, 04:58:00 PM »
BTW Cit.
Not only do I agree that you play AH too much,
But I think you are turning into a Cyborg.

eskimo

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2000, 04:58:00 PM »
Fly manual?  Autopilot? hehe

Some of us are actual licensed private pilots and what I love about Aces, versus the Cessna 172 I rent, is I can HEAR while playing Aces High!

You want realism?  Buy some too-tight headphones while playing for a few hours and get an engine hauling away like a 2-stroke engine in heat.  Ah, and dont forget to have the computer misting out the smell of fuel at you...so after an evening of Aces, you're head feels like someone is trying to make your ears touch (from INSIDE), smell like a gas tank and all but deaf despite the headphones!

I've always enjoyed taking flight sim pilots up in a Cessna and let them have at the controls.  No one complains about the frames per second  

*Top  Ten Reason Aces is Better than a Cessna*

10. You can drink beer and fly in Aces (and the flying improves!)

9.  2 words:  Volume Control

8.  GUNS/ARMAMENT  (Sorry, you can't bomb the control tower in a Cessna.)

7.  Auto-takeoff!

6.  You can fit a girlfriend under the computer desk...

5.  You can watch TV and fly Aces.

4.  If you crash in real life, you'll have to argue with St Peter to go fly again....

3.  What's air traffic control?

2.  No Passengers!

1.  *BATH ROOM*

Paul

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2000, 07:08:00 PM »
paul some of us are private pilots, commercial pilots, flight instructors and even some are ATP's.
you would be suprised how many pilots love this game.

I have my csel instrument too. I have been flying 2hrs a a day 5 days a week working on my cmel add on. I know a thing or two about how real planes handle and I must say AH gets a lot closer than FS2000 does for trim and general flight dynamics.
I'm not saying fly with autopilot disabled every time you play AH. just give it a try. you might like it. and AH is the best there is...

torque, p-factor, accelerated slipstream, spiralling slipstream, prop drag, added drag of uncoordinated flight are all modelled quite nicely.

but flying with auto level, autoangle and autospeed all these subtle details of HT's brilliant programming get disguised behind the chaos of dogfighting and the dullness of autopilot.

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 12-14-2000).]

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2000, 08:51:00 PM »
Hey Cit

I was posting in jest (you did catch that, yes?)

Flight Sim 2000 is SLOW...then again, my computer isnt speedy...just a K62-400.

So are you a licensed pilot too?  What do you fly?  Im stuck with Cessna's until my BD-5 is done...picture below (i think i figured out how to post pics on this...)

Paul

[This message has been edited by LePaul (edited 12-14-2000).]

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2000, 09:17:00 PM »
Cessna pilot here. Gosh I hate that plane.
At least the 172 has a little more power than the friggin 152, I hate that thing.

There is a Yak trainer in my airport owned by some guys, they promised me to let me fly it in some time  

I dont know exactly what plane it is, but I'm sure its a yak, two seater (front and rear) and a big engine wich I assume is radial.

Costed them around $50k only.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2000, 11:07:00 PM »
its funny. I used to absolutely be thrilled by the cessna. (if you didnt notice I'm fanatic about flying   )
but once you get a chance to fly high performance aircraft you never want to fly a cessna again  

I'm in love with light twin engine planes, I just started flying them 2 weeks ago and man are they a ton of fun.
got some hours in the beechcraft be55 baron which is my favorite by far, but im doing the rest of my multi engine rating in a piper aztec f pa23-250.

it is so much more fun than the cessna for me. but then again im a p38 fanatic so I guess that its a given that I would have so much more fun w multieng.
still thats just normal civil flying. the pitts special 2c is still the most fun I've had with my clothes on   that plane is a drug.

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2000, 12:33:00 AM »
Hey Cit, don't you live in FL? If you do, how come your not getting your ME Land and Sea in a Twin Bee?   One of these days I hope to get to FL just for that very thing. Once you discover the water, nothing else is as much fun and challenging, 'cept for aerobatcs. You guys just need to fly a high performance 172, not them stock slugs  . 215hp, constant speed prop, stol kit and a set of Edo 2440's and it's a bit more exciting. 'Course that BD5 above and the Pitts 2C sound like fun as well ;D

ts

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2000, 02:13:00 AM »
GAWD floats is about the only "cosmetic enhancement" that make a Cesspit look good...
Or the Soloy conversion of the 206, not THAT's a sweet one too but it's got a turbine and turbines allways look kewl !  

Real A/C have a TAILWHEEL !

Btw.. Cit i did my ME on a BE95   so the small sis of the 55, Beech truly builds marvelous A/C especially in terms of controll ballance .. great fun to fly (unless you have an engine failure on takoff, in the Travel Air that is  )

DW6
Scrubbing takeoffs in PA18s towing gliders .. dreaming of BE55s